Why do some clarifyers have salt in them?

SleepyJean

I don't understand how it is necessary. I think it would just dry your hair. How is drying the same thing as removing product build up? Pantene has salt for sure, and I THINK Suave does too. :look: :perplexed

Lovelylocs

Hmmm... maybe they work like a scrub? I dunno, but u can add baking soda to ur shampoo to clarify as well. Maybe salt works the same way as baking soda.

Suerte

I'm pretty sure they add salt in there FOR its drying (absorbing oils and build up) purposes.

I've seen that too.. and I wonder about the amount that is actually added.

I'm hoping that it's just a very very small amount just so it helps to clump up and absorb any "waste materials" on your scalp/in your hair.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
I think I know the answer to this one. :grin: It's because when people have hard water (that is, water with minerals like calcium in it) and they use water softener systems, the systems often rely on salt -- because salt softens water. You'll sometimes see salt in soaps too, especially in countries where there is a lot of hard water (like this one *points to location*).

lollyoo

hi,
think the answer is that most build up is due to salth that is not water soluble e.g calcium carbonate, when you add salt (Nacl), the reaction btw the two forms more soluble salt e.g calcium chloride (cacl2). obviously there is intermediate step involved i think an acidic solution will be needed.
Anyway you get the gist graduated from high school 10yrs ago so cant remember much of high school chemistry.

SleepyJean

I'm pretty sure they add salt in there FOR its drying (absorbing oils and build up) purposes.

I've seen that too.. and I wonder about the amount that is actually added.

I'm hoping that it's just a very very small amount just so it helps to clump up and absorb any "waste materials" on your scalp/in your hair.

I think I know the answer to this one. :grin: It's because when people have hard water (that is, water with minerals like calcium in it) and they use water softener systems, the systems often rely on salt -- because salt softens water. You'll sometimes see salt in soaps too, especially in countries where there is a lot of hard water (like this one *points to location*).

hi,
think the answer is that most build up is due to salth that is not water soluble e.g calcium carbonate, when you add salt (Nacl), the reaction btw the two forms more soluble salt e.g calcium chloride (cacl2). obviously there is intermediate step involved i think an acidic solution will be needed.
Anyway you get the gist graduated from high school 10yrs ago so cant remember much of high school chemistry.

To the first response, you don't have to dry your hair to clarify. Thank you Lollyloo and Alundra! I somewhat understand the chemistry of your responses, and they do make sense when you explain it like that. I remember once I decided to add vinegar and salt to a clarifyer. My hair was SOO dry! That was silly when I reflect upon it. I forgot that an acid and base just made MORE salt! :lachen: I didn't think the clarifyer was bad, but I was just curious how the salt was helpful. Thank you for all of the responses!