Why do we have to pay $6.50?

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
Re: Why do we have to pay $5?

I hope this answers your questions - Its used for:

I paid recently to have this website redesigned.

Paying for server space - $423 a month - dedicated server for over 1 year.

The Paypal subscription software, which is automated - and future upgrades to it.

This site can not run properly without Nikos, I pay him consulting fees as needed to fix things around here.

I paid several hundred dollars for the forum software, and when new version come out, (patches/fixes) I purchases those also.

I purchased graphics software.

The ticket system functionality, when you have account issues, they are tracked thru there.

The chat software - cost several hundred dollars.

MY TIME to manage the site - invaluable.

This site is owned independent by an individual - me .
I am not a large company. I have a full time job. Its just named an LLC company in case someone wants to try to sue me and my personal assets they can not now. For example - because someone tried something on the hair board that caused them harm.

Last edited:

Shatani

beverly said:

The Paypal subscription software, which is automated - and future upgrades to it.

This site can not run properly without Nikos, I pay him consulting fees as needed to fix things around here.

I paid several hundred dollars for the forum software, and when new version come out, (patches/fixes) I purchases those also.

The ticket system functionality, when you have account issues, they are tracked thru there.

I am not a large company. I have a full time job. Its just named an LLC company in case someone wants to try to sue me and my personal assets they can not now. For example - because someone tried something on the hair board that caused them harm.
all that from a measly five bucks?!?! :D

i wish to be an LLC some day....

Last edited by a moderator:

qtgirl

I'm sure advertising monies do cover a bit, but admitidly(sp?) this is a huge site with a huge number of members and it takes money to run the software, etc.

teenie said:
I was wondering the same thing too now that the fee time is comming. Of course $5 is not going to send me to the poor house either but I do like to understand what I'm spending my money on, because I'm sure the advertisers are covering all the operation fees.

Last edited:

vaqtea

beverly said:

Thanks for responding to my post. I was like dang she about to give an itemized list for pencils and errything :lachen: Seriously though, Thank you.

london honey

Thanks bev, hopefully this will end the debate, i really couldnt care if the $5 was not even used for maintenance. i believe everyone who comes up with a good, working idea needs to be rewarded in someway

beverly said:

I am not a large company. I have a full time job. Its just named an LLC company in case someone wants to try to sue me and my personal assets they can not now. For example - because someone tried something on the hair board that caused them harm..

bludacious

So, I am getting more than what I actually paid for!

Thanks Beverly such running such an awesome site!

beverly said:

hopeful

london honey said:
Thanks bev, hopefully this will end the debate, i really couldnt care if the $5 was not even used for maintenance. i believe everyone who comes up with a good, working idea needs to be rewarded in someway

ITA. I'd pay it if it went straight to her pocket to get her hair did and stuff. I spent $5 for a shake today at the Cheesecake Factory. I've spent $5 on stuffed animals for my kids that they don't want the next day, on sunglasses, on a new conditioner...

sky_blu

Good question Vacqueta (sorry I jacked the name up). After reading the first 3 pages I was like dang all that and nobody still didnt answer her question. Even I got it on the first go round. IMO it dont matter how much money you pay if any money coming out of my pocket I deserve a right to know what the money going for. When I paid my $5 I already knew basically what it was going for because Im a member of another board thats like this (though its free) I know what the webmaster is paying for because its discussed like the bandwidth, etc. I was a little thrown that I had to pay to post but its not biggie if it was a little more I probaly still would have paid because this a pretty nice site. :grin:

L

longlegz

Beverly, Thank you for taking the time to respond.​

I personally don't think you needed to because of what I have personally gained from this site. $5.00 is a bargain for what we get for this wonderful site! Thank you for your vision and this wonderful website :)

beverly said:

I am not a large company. I have a full time job. Its just named an LLC company in case someone wants to try to sue me and my personal assets they can not now. For example - because someone tried something on the hair board that caused them harm..

Dolapo

thanks beverly for your response? i never wondered why we have to pay $5 but im sure you let us know how you maintain the site and stuff.

Allandra

beverly said:

Beverly,

Thanks for REALLY breaking down the answers for the person that asked. :lol:

beverly

Staff member

Thanks to everyone who had nice things to say in this thread. Bev

notsomebody

This is funny to me. Because there was no debate. No one was having a problem with paying the money or even asking Bev to justify it. The poster was just curious as to what the money went to. I know a lot of people jumped in on the defensive, but if you read her original question and her clarification later in the thread, you will see there wasn't any argument or even any negativity. She was just curious.

Which is why it's awesome that Beverly was able to give a general breakdown.

Last edited:
B

Bublnbrnsuga

I agree with Ashee- can this PLEASE be a sticky?

amy1234

I will gladly pay the $5 to support this site, tnankyou beverly for creating this forum!

Country gal

notsomebody said:
This is funny to me. Because there was no debate. No one was having a problem with paying the money or even asking Bev to justify it. The poster was just curious as to what the money went to. I know a lot of people jumped in on the defensive, but if you read her original question and her clarification later in the thread, you will see there wasn't any argument or even any negativity. She was just curious.

Which is why it's awesome that Beverly was able to give a general breakdown.

I agree that Vaq was not really trying to start anything or being slick about her question. The problem is there is an undercurrent of that on the board. Unfortunatly people are sick of it and may have taken her question the wrong way.

firecracker

:D :lachen: SOME THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE. ALL YA'LL DANG OPINIONS AND MINE!! NOW TAKE THAT, TAKE THAT!!! I came here for laughs and a lil hair assistance that made my hair fall the helz out!! Now someone help me get my hair back dang it!! Stop crying and pay 5 extra bucks fo my po arse!:lachen: You guys are crazy cool!

MissJ

vaqtea said:
Im not complaining about the $5 because its not going to put me in the poor house ;) I'm just wondering what does the fee go towards? Like I stated before I visit many forums of all kinds and not all are sponsored by "big companies". And I get to post free of charge! These boards have the exact same appearance of this board with many (thousands) of more members. So the bandwith explanation goes in one ear and out the other ..... :look: . I'm not trying to start any confusion or drama. I'm just wondering why the fee?
They probably have advertisers there that pay really big bucks!

JamericanGurl

longlegz said:
Beverly, Thank you for taking the time to respond.​

I personally don't think you needed to because of what I have personally gained from this site. $5.00 is a bargain for what we get for this wonderful site! Thank you for your vision and this wonderful website :)
What she said!

Vitality

Enchantmt said:
Bev has to pay to have the site hosted. She has had to upgrade servers, software and and other things. If I recall correctly, she can tell you for sure, she was faced with the choice of shutting down/limiting the site or charging a fee. A lot of boards go out of business because the owner cannot handle the expense or devote time to it. Many members here were members of other boards that shut down. Some boards also limit the amounts of pictures you can display or the size, many delete posts after a certain time period and have other restrictions. This site is one of the better boards I have been on. It has very little down time and is not sluggish. A lot of other boards with as few as 10 active members will take FOREVER to load. At any given time we have 200-300+ actively viewing and posting. There are other hair boards I would visit more often but I'm not patient enough for the boards to load, and all the errors trying to view pages and posts. I have friends that run internet boards and the time and expense for the upkeep is no small thing. She is providing a service to us. I view it as a subscription. Other sites, such as dating sites etc folx pay 20-100.00 per year for the service.

The women here are amazing, despite the lil arguments and disagreements here and there. Its like a big family, many people meet offline and have become friends and we encourage each other online. There are other hair boards, other choices, but LHCF is IMO the best I've come across. It is VERY active, you dont have to wait 3-days to a week for a reply to a question, the topics and members are entertaining, and its is one of the most drama free boards I have ever been on. I learn something new every day from the women on this board. LHCF IS THE GREATEST!! :)

Well said...:clap: :clap: Thanks..:)

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member

On a techie side:

Some statistics you might find interesting - this might also help you understand the background and whoever is curious can ask around on the actual cost of these services:

We are hosted on a quad 2.6GHz processor machine with 2Gb of RAM and 80Gb hard drive. Although the server is not ours - it is a shared solution we do occupy half of the resources (the other half come from the other site). The server also enjoys multiple T3 connections to the internet and is directly connected to the 155Gb backbone of California.

Traffic? Well we get some lol. In April for instance this year:

Total Hits: 22,213,614
Total Files: 9,278,181
Total Pages: 318,608
Total Visits: 94,909
Total KBytes: 89,038,468
Hits per Hour (avg): 30,852
Hits per Day (avg): 740,453
Files per Day (avg): 309,272
Pages per Day (avg): 10,620
Visits per Day (avg): 3,163
KBytes per Day (avg): 2,967,949

The above info is for your reference. If you want go and shop around and ask how much this costs to have on a monthly basis. I know that most ladies here didn't bother with the subscription fee but if anyone has any doubts feel free to investigate. I can tell you this though: for my own server to host my own sites and clients I was quoted for a single processor, 512Mb RAM 200 USD per month.

Many of you remember the time that I joined the board. At the time the board was hosted in a very unreliable host so we had to move it. Then we moved it (I think it was Jan 2002 or 2003 - gosh I am getting old :p) and the hosting company shut the board down after a month because we had too much traffic. Then we moved again (feeling like gypsies) to our current hosting company who even later on moved our boards to a different server since we were growing too fast both in traffic and space.

A few weeks back the same scenario happened. The board had to be moved to a more powerful box to ensure that it runs and it loads fast. Many of you remember that the board was unavailable for one day (and I do remember the 10,750 emails I got notifying me that the board was down). Our database is 1.2Gb and we have 1.1 million posts roughly. Heck we could write an Encyclopedia with all this knowledge contained here.

All this is because of all of you and Beverly's hobby. I am just a passenger here doing the techie stuff.

Thank you all for the kind words and I hope that my post sheds a bit more light from a technical point of view.

webby

Think Slim

dimopoulos said:
Thank you all for the kind words and I hope that my post sheds a bit more light from a technical point of view.
Nikos, I know you're really somewhere on a beach, with bluetooth, waiting for a piña colada (with an umbrella) to be delivered to you, while you count the fortune you've made off of working on this site :lol:

JamericanGurl

dimopoulos said:
On a techie side:

Some statistics you might find interesting - this might also help you understand the background and whoever is curious can ask around on the actual cost of these services:

We are hosted on a quad 2.6GHz processor machine with 2Gb of RAM and 80Gb hard drive. Although the server is not ours - it is a shared solution we do occupy half of the resources (the other half come from the other site). The server also enjoys multiple T3 connections to the internet and is directly connected to the 155Gb backbone of California.

Traffic? Well we get some lol. In April for instance this year:

Total Hits: 22,213,614
Total Files: 9,278,181
Total Pages: 318,608
Total Visits: 94,909
Total KBytes: 89,038,468
Hits per Hour (avg): 30,852
Hits per Day (avg): 740,453
Files per Day (avg): 309,272
Pages per Day (avg): 10,620
Visits per Day (avg): 3,163
KBytes per Day (avg): 2,967,949

The above info is for your reference. If you want go and shop around and ask how much this costs to have on a monthly basis. I know that most ladies here didn't bother with the subscription fee but if anyone has any doubts feel free to investigate. I can tell you this though: for my own server to host my own sites and clients I was quoted for a single processor, 512Mb RAM 200 USD per month.

Many of you remember the time that I joined the board. At the time the board was hosted in a very unreliable host so we had to move it. Then we moved it (I think it was Jan 2002 or 2003 - gosh I am getting old :p) and the hosting company shut the board down after a month because we had too much traffic. Then we moved again (feeling like gypsies) to our current hosting company who even later on moved our boards to a different server since we were growing too fast both in traffic and space.

A few weeks back the same scenario happened. The board had to be moved to a more powerful box to ensure that it runs and it loads fast. Many of you remember that the board was unavailable for one day (and I do remember the 10,750 emails I got notifying me that the board was down). Our database is 1.2Gb and we have 1.1 million posts roughly. Heck we could write an Encyclopedia with all this knowledge contained here.

All this is because of all of you and Beverly's hobby. I am just a passenger here doing the techie stuff.

Quit playing you know your running and offshore account in the Grand Caymans :mad: :lachen: You know this board supports itself freely....Absoulutely no cost involved with bandwidth, maintenece and etc....Good Try :lachen:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member

webby said:
Nikos, I know you're really somewhere on a beach, with bluetooth, waiting for a piña colada (with an umbrella) to be delivered to you, while you count the fortune you've made off of working on this site :lol:

LOL I wish this was true. The only thing that I can relate to this scenario is the soaring heat in my room. As you can see from the image, it is 30.3C ~ 92.0F

Other than that I am typing away....

Attachments

• Image(123).jpg
    Image(123).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10

webby

Think Slim

dimopoulos said:
LOL I wish this was true. The only thing that I can relate to this scenario is the soaring heat in my room. As you can see from the image, it is 30.3C ~ 92.0F

Other than that I am typing away....
Poor Nikos! :shocked:
You must be miserable. :(

beverly

Staff member

Bumped, edited, and updated with real costs to operate this forum for Sassy.

Also wanted to add, that we currently we do not have any sponsors.

Radianthealth

I don't care $5 is chump change for all the stuff this board provides. If someone is making money off of it SO WHAT???:cool:

They deserve it, this is the best hairboard on the internet ;)

Man a bottle of Nexxus Humectress cost $28!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

firecracker

trimbride said:
I don't care $5 is chump change for all the stuff this board provides. If someone is making money off of it SO WHAT???:cool:

They deserve it, this is the best hairboard on the internet ;)

Man a bottle of Nexxus Humectress cost $28!!!!!!!!![/quote]

:eek: Whoa I pay only 14.99 for Humectress chica. :look: