Why do we have to pay $6.50?

Radianthealth

Re: Why do we have to pay $5?

firecracker said:
trimbride said:
I don't care $5 is chump change for all the stuff this board provides. If someone is making money off of it SO WHAT???:cool:

They deserve it, this is the best hairboard on the internet ;)

Man a bottle of Nexxus Humectress cost $28!!!!!!!!![/quote]

:eek: Whoa I pay only 14.99 for Humectress chica. :look:

33 Ounce bottle at Target is $26.99. I picked it up yesterday and had to put it down quick

Nexxus Humectress Conditioner - 33.8 oz.

$26.99

Mommy's girls

beverly said:
I hope this answers your questions - Its used for:

I paid recently to have this website redesigned.

Paying for server space - $423 a month - dedicated server for over 1 year.

The Paypal subscription software, which is automated - and future upgrades to it.

This site can not run properly without Nikos, I pay him consulting fees as needed to fix things around here.

I paid several hundred dollars for the forum software, and when new version come out, (patches/fixes) I purchases those also.

I purchased graphics software.

The ticket system functionality, when you have account issues, they are tracked thru there.

The chat software - cost several hundred dollars.

MY TIME to manage the site - invaluable.

This site is owned independent by an individual - me .
I am not a large company. I have a full time job. Its just named an LLC company in case someone wants to try to sue me and my personal assets they can not now. For example - because someone tried something on the hair board that caused them harm.

Beverly, I have often wondered whose the founder of this site. This site was a blessing to me when I was struggling with hair woes. To me this site is priceless.

I am proud of you for turning something that you love into a business. A much needed business I might add. Thank you so much- you make me proud to call myself woman.

asummertyme

i remember when i joined yrs ago we used to have trolls here, that would just get on everyone's nerve...lol..i think the 5 bucks have helped with keeping them da hellzz out!

firecracker

asummertyme said:
i remember when i joined yrs ago we used to have trolls here, that would just get on everyone's nerve...lol..i think the 5 bucks have helped with keeping them da hellzz out!

:look: I don't know about that one cuz it seems the modern day trolls don't mind paying 5 bucks, getting banned and paying again under a psuedo. Its like a game to em gurl. :lachen:

asummertyme

firecracker said:
:look: I don't know about that one cuz it seems the modern day trolls don't mind paying 5 bucks, getting banned and paying again under a psuedo. Its like a game to em gurl. :lachen:

U got a good point ...:grin: :grin: :grin:

baby42

I AM HAPPY TO PAY MY $5 CAUSE I AM LEARNIG A LOT REALLY WHAT IS $5 TO SPEND ON SOMETHING THAT HELPS YOU:) :)

Summer_Rain

Hell, I'd pay $10 if it meant the entire board, including the main hair forum could be accessible only to paying members.

SparklingFlame

Shoot when I joined I thought $5 wasnt enough to pay for all the info I got just for being a lurker. Not to mention the perks for joining (all the other great forums.)
Bev - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :rosebud:

i don't really mind the 5 dollars either...but now that we have all of these different advertisements at the top of the forum, how does that play a role in helping to pay what it costs to maintain the board???

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member

hi - the ads are google ads, and they are just copied and pasted code. they are not "real" sponsors per say, who have a contract with us, meaning they have pay me a certain fee per month for the banner ad to be there. Any one can go to google, register an account with them, and put a google ad on their personal website. But to answer your question, any monies recieved goes in support of the site. Just like when you buy books from the book link (by way of amazon.com), its paid based on the referral I give them, which is not very much.

Last edited:

cabellera

From what you get in the way of information for hair, health, etc. at this site in comparison to others, the $5 bucks paid ANNUALLY is a nominal fee.

Much2much41

Bev could make 10 Lexus payments with it for all I care. This board is the best thing since fried chicken ;)

firecracker

Much2much41 said:
Bev could make 10 Lexus payments with it for all I care. This board is the best thing since fried chicken ;)

Alllll man! Why you gotta bring up FRIED CHICK'UM? I'm hungry now ****:lol:

TCT

Here's one reason...

the explanation above is exactly plausible. while i do not like to waiste money either, i do understand that any organization has to recieve fees and donations in order to keep afloat. this is a multifaceted site which approches its members needs on different levels. there is support, information, comradery, vent capability, and 24 hr access ,ect.... i do not feel blindsided by the 5 dollar fee, all though most of us(myself included) love getting free stuff. we have to get out of the frame of mind that things should just be costless. while all the ladies here offer each other information as to how to reach goals(not just the administrators of the site) we still need to realize the enormous undertaking this equals out to. running a site like this is not devoid of challenges.

now having said that , does someone think they can hit me back and let me know how in the heck to post a new thread. i am cluless on where to go and what to click on(im the official website illiterate):perplexed.

i have so many questions about things that i have not found the answer to , i dont wanna go into ppl's threads and start changing the subject all over the place(kinda like i just did here:nono:),and i dont know how to post a thread of my own to get the answers either.

so can somebody help a sister out?????? pleeease?:look:

see ya'll on the boards.

Allandra

the explanation above is exactly plausible. while i do not like to waiste money either, i do understand that any organization has to recieve fees and donations in order to keep afloat. this is a multifaceted site which approches its members needs on different levels. there is support, information, comradery, vent capability, and 24 hr access ,ect.... i do not feel blindsided by the 5 dollar fee, all though most of us(myself included) love getting free stuff. we have to get out of the frame of mind that things should just be costless. while all the ladies here offer each other information as to how to reach goals(not just the administrators of the site) we still need to realize the enormous undertaking this equals out to. running a site like this is not devoid of challenges.

now having said that , does someone think they can hit me back and let me know how in the heck to post a new thread. i am cluless on where to go and what to click on(im the official website illiterate):perplexed.

i have so many questions about things that i have not found the answer to , i dont wanna go into ppl's threads and start changing the subject all over the place(kinda like i just did here:nono:),and i dont know how to post a thread of my own to get the answers either.

so can somebody help a sister out?????? pleeease?:look:

see ya'll on the boards.
Click on the forum you want to post the thread in, and click on 'new thread', now you're ready to start you thread. :)

TCT

Click on the forum you want to post the thread in, and click on 'new thread', now you're ready to start you thread. :)

thankyou soo much!:grin:

wait, wait ,wait ............... where is the new thread option located?

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Love this board. The question isn't why do we have to pay, but why not? We get so much valuable and useful information on here, that I actually want to give back to the person who runs this site. I'm sure many others feel the same way.

Lucky's Mom

LCHF is AWESOME.
I appreciate the fee, because - even for 5 dollars, the caliber of members here is quite high. Most everyone is helpful, kind, and provide useful information, staying on topic. I was a member and a moderator for another fourm, that had NOTHING but trouble becaseu of trolls, and a lack of proper maintenence.

This is a Godsend.

LOVE IT.

Thanks to all who work hard for this site to be great. Five dollars is nothing!

scorpian

$5.00 is a drop in the bucket for all of the valuable info that I get from here
Nappturality is charging a $20 annual fee to view most of their forum :wallbash:

Connie

$5.00 is a drop in the bucket for all of the valuable info that I get from here
Nappturality is charging a $20 annual fee to view most of their forum :wallbash:

WHAT?! Is it mandatory now? Because the last time I was there it was voluntary, and the owner was b*tching because only a fraction of the membership was paying anything.

Blossssom

WHAT?! Is it mandatory now? Because the last time I was there it was voluntary, and the owner was b*tching because only a fraction of the membership was paying anything.

LOLOL!

Well, no one HAS to pay anything. It's voluntary to join this site.

Connie

LOLOL!

Well, no one HAS to pay anything. It's voluntary to join this site.

I was referring to the Nappturality site. The poster said they charge $20 for a yearly membership. I wondered if it was voluntary or if the owner was getting stricter with it because it has a huge membership base but not a lot of people were 'donating' to it.

SparklingFlame

I was referring to the Nappturality site. The poster said they charge $20 for a yearly membership. I wondered if it was voluntary or if the owner was getting stricter with it because it has a huge membership base but not a lot of people were 'donating' to it.
I think you are correct!

Blossssom

Oh, sorry, I thought you was talking about Bev :lol:

LynnieB

it costs money to run a website. sometimes outside advertisers, ads and sponsers can help defray the costs but if the website has heavy traffic, many members, the board has alot of functionality and user perks as well as hosts it's members graphics, dedicated servers, domain registrations, etc., the cost can become huge rather quickly. i don't know much about the IT end of bulletin boards but i'd assume you'd also have to pay for an IT person to do your software installations and updating, bug checks, etc. although it may be included in your package deal. i dunno.

some companies are nice enough to have a price/function list online:
http://www.futurepoint.com/hosting.php
http://dedicated.westhost.com/

others just tell you to call or email them to "discuss" pricing and options.

you could probably create a room full of servers in a spare bedroom of your home but your cable company would want you to pay a fortune to run a heavily trafficked, multifunctional messageboard along with the cost of rewiring your house to house the equipment, back up power supplies, IT, air conditioning, the servers and other equipment, software, etc.

donations are good but many times it's not enough to keep things running so what you do is offer the forums which help the most people as free forums and the play and romper room forums as perks for donating members only. Doing it like that keeps the hair forums open to help those who need support without penalizing them but if you want to play in the additional forums (all non hair related), you gotta pay.

emerald06

I'm a member of both sites. Dee does what she has to do over there and Bev does what she does over here. I don't know if many people, myself included, really know what it means to devote so much time and investment to such a work of love. I have heard people insuate -- not here, necessarily -- that the owner may be pocketing the money and making a mint. :nono: It takes a lot of $$$ to have a site as nice as this one and NP. I'll happily give the money to have a sancturary with intelligent women without the nonsense. There are sites that are truly off the chain with "members" who cut each other down, curse each other, make profane, insensitive and racist posts. I may not agree with all of the decisions made, but I respect them. Thank you Bev, Nikos, and all of the mods for work you do! :yep:

hunnyhun921

Hello everyone,

I just joined and I paid $6.50. I guess the fees have gone up....not complaining. Very great information I have been receiveing thus far and think it is well worth my $6.50. I'll just cut back on one product this month to cover the costs! Great day everyone!