Why do you have a "winter" regimen?????

Do you have a winter regimen? (please post why or why not)

• Yes

Votes: 84 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 40.4%

• Total voters

JollyGal

I don't have a winter reggie but Im working on one.

It will include less washing (I live in London UK) my hair is already suffering because of the weather and it's only september lol.

I don't have a winter reggie right now because I'm lazy

ladylibra

The concept really doesn't make too much sense to me, so I need someone to break it down for me.

I mean if winter weather is usually dry, blustery and downright COLD (depending on where you live geographically) why am I seeing so many "winter" regimens that cut down on washing?

If water is the best way to moisturize - not just your hair - then shouldn't "winter" regimens incorporate more frequent washing so that you are maximizing the moisture?

Is a "winter" regimen REALLY necessary? It just seems like more extra to me????? :spinning: What is really the point?

Actually, I found this to be quite the opposite for me last year. I co-washed more frequently last winter, and it resulted in drier hair. See in summer, the humidity in the air actually works with my hair. But in winter, the air is drier and it literally sucks the moisture out of my hair, no matter how often I wash. :perplexed

So far this fall, I've found that sealing with an oil after washing works better. :yep: And since I'm combining this with doing braidouts/rollersets, it means washing less often (once or twice a week).

Bun Mistress

hmmm no real "regimem" yet but here are my plans thus far. No more coconut oil. I first tried this last winter with bad results (werid I know); so I switched to jojoba oil. Going to continue loo-poo. changing from anti-humectants to hemectants (it goes from really humid to really dry here). continue dc'ing twice weekly, continue henna. Will get back on the pre-poo oiling (kinda slacked off) and swcithing to tea rinses from powder (the powder is getting stuck in my hair.

suburbanbushbabe

I don't cut down on washing. I wash 1-2 times a week winter or summer. Winter is when I load on the deep treatments. I did none this sommer except for a protein treatment. I'll also cut down on products that contain glycerin, do more oil rinses and clay DT's, more roller sets and continue doing dry twists on 2-3 day hair. I'll still do wash and gos, just diffuse dry before I hit the cold outside.

Bun Mistress

I don't cut down on washing. I wash 1-2 times a week winter or summer. Winter is when I load on the deep treatments. I did none this sommer except for a protein treatment. I'll also cut down on products that contain glycerin, do more oil rinses and clay DT's, more roller sets and continue doing dry twists on 2-3 day hair. I'll still do wash and gos, just diffuse dry before I hit the cold outside.

does that help? I live in a very humid area and usually use JBCO or aveda antihumectant pomade because of the weather and I'm afraid that all the humidity would be hard on my fine hair. Should I not use humectants in the winter? We just started having cool days and the humidity has been around 70% (it is usually about 85 to 90%).

Katherina

i said no, because right now i live in the desert (southwest), where the summer is incredibly arid (harsh on hair) and i need lots of moisture. i need less moisture in the "winter", because it's more like a rainy season, and thus less dry. so i have more of a summer regimen here.

when i lived in the southeast, my hair was basically moisturized all year, so i would have said no then as well. when i lived in the midwest, i experienced drier winters than in the southeast...so i would have had a winter regimen. it depends on the total climate. hth. :)

Last edited:

carameldelight87

I answered "no" simply because this will be my first winter with natural hair and I've never even had a regimen prior to goin natural.

I definitely will have to change some things cuz as mentioned I can't go outside with a wet head and I really do have to wet my hair in order to manage it. I probably will have to DC more often as well.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
My winter regimen includes heavier butters because it's less humid outside; therefore, an increase in dryness.

BillsBackerz67

Well for me wash n goes are not conducive to below zero temps :look: . So i usually wear my hair straight for the winter. Straight hair care and curly hair care is completely different as far as my hair is concerned.

quasimodi

I have to up my deep conditioning, protect my hair, and moisturize/seal more so I don't lose length. Cleveland winters are harsh. :spinning: As a matter a fact, I'll be trying henna soon to strengthen my strands for the coming months.

aquajoyice

I usually cut down on washing during summer becuase my hair gets dirty less in the winter. Unless I work out everyday I can go without washing as often. And with the cold weather you dont want to walk out with wet or damp hair. I think it just depends on your routine and what works best for you :yep: