Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair?

Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair? (you can select more than one)

• To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)

Votes: 236 36.6%
  • To straighten or smooth my hair

Votes: 329 51.1%
  • To create a hairstyle with curls

Votes: 273 42.4%
  • Other (please share)

Votes: 36 5.6%
  • I do not rollerset my hair

Votes: 90 14.0%

• Total voters

_belle

- so I don't have to blowdry it. . my I have relaxed hair. . . air dried it looks like a matted poodle. no real curl definition & I am not big on products that CREATE a curl pattern

- it gives my hair a style without having to do much. . . i can throw on a headband or throw pins in it, and call it a style

- plus my hair is right @ shoulder length, it rubs against my coat collar which breaks and snags my ends. . . put it in curls, "shrinks" it up, so that it doesn't rub it.

I like it alot. I don't have to do much once it is set, I can go from really tight curls and an updo on day 1 to a loose bun/updo by like day 3 or so.

chebaby

i rollerset because i love the results. i've always worn my hair straight but now i can do it without the hot comb and this way it looks more fuller and thick and i can do it withought all the damage

Blessed_Angel

Great topic, I actually do all three. Before I learned about roller setting I was absolutely convinced that roller setting would not give me a sleek and shiny style. I always knew that heat was bad for my hair so I use to air dry via the pony tail method. In the morning I would flat iron and curl my hair under and wrap it nightly. I did this once a week. I stopped doing this method because my hair would have no bounce after about day three. So finally I got up the nerve to master roller setting and every since I have been so happy. My hair is a lot healthier. When I air dry my roller set, it allows my hair to dry smooth, gives my hair curl and bounce, and it's the healthiest thing for my relaxed hair. I normally wear my hair in a doobie. Roller setting also allows me to wash my hair twice a week because I don't have to flat iron. I do occassionally flat iron the roots of my hair with my 1/2 inch ceramic iron on low.

That's exactly why I rollerset.

bbdgirl

I have always rollerset, to dry and create styles. I rollerset my hair last night and did not go under the dryer and after several hours I took down the rollers and my hair came out really nice.
That was the first time that I ever did an airdry rollerset with Magnetic rollers. I think I want to use the big black ones and the purple ones next time, so my hair can dry even faster.
Rollersetting is the easy part for me, I am pretty fast. But sitting under the dryer is what kills me.
What I especially like is that I can smooth and straighten the hair without too much effort, my hair really like rollersets

Does anyone rollerset dry hair (maybe with a dab of moisturizer) with magnetic rollers? How did it turn out? I would like to add some curls to flat-ironed hair without a curling iron and without having to wash, condition, detangle, blowdry, and flat-iron this mass again. :nono:

stronghair

I don't know why, but one day, when my hair was due for relaxer t-up I went to a new dominican shop that just opened. The stylist, of course, gave me a roller set. But I didn't get a blowout, just rollerset. It has been 4 months and my hair has never felt better and been stronger in years!! I'll never go back to the blow dryer!
My only problem is I can't do a roller set myself!! Comes out frizzy. I still go every two wks to the shop but how can I prevent the frizzies when I do it myself?

Qt girl

I don't know why, but one day, when my hair was due for relaxer t-up I went to a new dominican shop that just opened. The stylist, of course, gave me a roller set. But I didn't get a blowout, just rollerset. It has been 4 months and my hair has never felt better and been stronger in years!! I'll never go back to the blow dryer!
My only problem is I can't do a roller set myself!! Comes out frizzy. I still go every two wks to the shop but how can I prevent the frizzies when I do it myself?

The biggest thing I can say is PRACTICE! I didn't know how to do a good job on rollersetting until I tried Macherieamor's method on her website: Healthy Textures. Her method has worked for a LOT of ladies on this board and others.

I used to go to her site before the rollersetting DVD came out. She had all of the steps posted for free on the blog, I don't know if it is still there, but I've heard great things about the DVD so it's worth it to buy if you really want to perfect rollersetting.

SmartyPants

Practice, Practice, Practice...

My mom wouldn't let me get a relaxer until I could take care of my own hair. I learned how to rollerset at 13. I went through the blow dry and curling iron stage at 16-17 because everyone else was doing it, but the rollersetting is what keeps my hair healthy. I even rollerset dry hair on magnetic rollers EVERY night before I go to bed. I think it helps me retain moisture because the bonnet isn't absorbing moisture.

fe6968

I Rollerset because direct heat makes my hair so dry and my hair is already dry and it also makes my hair pretty straight without extra heat:grin:

Last edited:

LushLox

I roller set because it makes my fine hair look full and voluminous. When it's wrapped it's silky straight but it still is full of bounce.

I naturally like curls, love ringlets, pin curls etc.

Finally I would rather roller set than get back to using a flat/curling iron. The direct heat is too much for my hair.

moonglowdiva

I like rollersetting to creat a cute curly style. I rarely rollerset but when I do I have to make sure that I am within 5 week post. I never comb the curl I will situate the curls with my finger and I'll keep it until my next wash which is usually in 3 days. This is a grood protective style for me. The only downfall is that it is time consuming to roll and dry.:wallbash:

beans4reezy

I don't know how to do anything else as a style after washing other than rollersets. I've tried braid outs, bantu knots, etc....rollersets work best for me and keeps my hair looking best

Hotmommak

But most of the time, it was to have decent looking hair that was bouncy whether it was curly or sleek/straight. Sometimes, my hair didn't look great after I blowdried it. For some reason, my hair only looked great after blowdrying if my mom did it...it's weird...

I am 24, and I still can't blowdry my hair like my mom did! I think I'm gonna buy some rollers and roller set my hair. I know that after I will prob. have to flat iron to smooth my hair. The last time my hair was roller set was for my graduation. I BEGGED my cousin (a beautician) to blowdry my hair and she insisted on a roller wrap b/c it would be prettier. I had a big fluffy mess:nono: Any suggestions on how to get smooth hair like a blowdry and flatiron, or do I just need to flat iron after. I'm 3a/b natural, coily curls mbl.

Kerryann

i love roller sets ive always done them from the day i got my first perm until now. They smooth out your hair nicely then wrap the comb down oh my all that bounce its wonderful

Black Hoya Chick

i don't rollerset. i am not that found of them, never was. even when i went to the dominican salon i made them flat iron after or i wrapped it real tight at night. and now that i am basically natural, my roots would still need to be straightened anyway. sorry...i would just endulge in the heat that day and add a curling iron if i wanted curls

chokolate miss

I use my Curlformers for a cute curly style.

I want to learn how to rollerset on the magnetic rollers, for a sleek style. However, everytime I try I come out looking like a Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleader...:nono:

ladylina

I rollerset because I like the way my hair looks afterward. Plus I try to stay away from the blow dryer it really to me is the devil lol.