Why does the FHI RUNWAY cost $450??!!

Loliz

Can someone please answer this? Why is this flat iron SOOOOO expensive? Is it magic? Does it straighten by just waving it over your hair like a magic wand? Does it grow your hair while you are using it? I can't seem to find out what it does that is soo different from the others?
Does anyone have this iron? Do tell? What are the results? Show pics. Something...

Check it out here: http://www.fhiheat.com/fproduct.aspx?groupname=Flat Irons&shortname=runway&sku=r1

Sorry Everyone, the name of this post should read, "Why does the FHI RUNWAY cost $450. The FHI Platform is not as expensive.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

Re: Why does the FHI PLATFORM cost $450??!!

It better come with a 7-10 yrs Service Plan/Extended Warranty.

tocktick

they're using the fact that it's used by professionals in the modelling world and the 6-layer ceramic plates to sell the iron. it's not enough though, imo.

eta: oh, it also dawned on me that fhi probably aren't banking on your average consumer to buy this iron. it's probably for salon stylists. this kind of iron would put up with a lot of usage for quite a while. so this is a good investments to them.

Last edited:

shocol

I think it's the Runway model that costs 450.00. My Platform was 150.00, and you can get it even cheaper.

The Runway seems to have a better heater and more ceramic layers. Don't know if it's worth the extra money though. Maybe it really matters to professional stylists.

Loliz

I think it's the Runway model that costs 450.00. My Platform was 150.00, and you can get it even cheaper.

The Runway seems to have a better heater and more ceramic layers. Don't know if it's worth the extra money though. Maybe it really matters to professional stylists.

Yes, I'm sorry. I should clarify that. It IS the RUNWAY model I'm talking about. I have the Platform too - have had it for several years, but it doesn't seem to be getting as hot as it used too and I was thinking about getting another one. I saw this Runway version for almost double the price and I just wanted to know what the extra expense was supposed to be for? Someone mentioned that it has 6 layers. Doesn't the Platform have layers too?

SoCalli

Yes, I'm sorry. I should clarify that. It IS the RUNWAY model I'm talking about. I have the Platform too - have had it for several years, but it doesn't seem to be getting as hot as it used too and I was thinking about getting another one. I saw this Runway version for almost double the price and I just wanted to know what the extra expense was supposed to be for? Someone mentioned that it has 6 layers. Doesn't the Platform have layers too?

No, the Platform doesn't. The Runway produces 20x the negative ions as its closest competitor. It's also solid ceramic. All other irons are coated, except for one other that I know of that costs significantly less. I plan on getting one by the end of the year.

Loliz

No, the Platform doesn't. The Runway produces 20x the negative ions as its closest competitor. It's also solid ceramic. All other irons are coated, except for one other that I know of that costs significantly less. I plan on getting one by the end of the year.

What's the other one that you know of? And when you say you are getting one by the end of the year, which one are you talking about? The FHI Runway or the "other one". Have you tried the FHI Runway? Can you tell the difference?

MAMATO

:pop: Interesting, waiting for reply.:grin:

SoCalli

What's the other one that you know of? And when you say you are getting one by the end of the year, which one are you talking about? The FHI Runway or the "other one". Have you tried the FHI Runway? Can you tell the difference?

It's called the Hana Elite Flat Iron 1" - 100% Ceramic.
http://www.misikko.com/hana-elite-flat-iron.html

Looks like they have added a new one that's 100% Ceramic too.
http://www.misikko.com/h2pro-flat-iron-le.html

I plan on getting the FHI Runway. I'm loyal to the brand and just bought a blow dryer yesterday from them. Can't wait to get it.

Here's the FHI Runway:
http://www.misikko.com/fhi-heat-runway-flat-iron.html

I haven't tried the Runway yet, but WhipEffects has. She posted her experience in this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=272499

Of course, I won't pay $450 for it. I'll be getting mine for the least possible amount I can (ebay).

Loliz

Okay, I found out the information. It's on the FHI website. Its a video tutorial which I must say was pretty informative.
http://www.fhiheat.com/technology.aspx

So I guess it does have to do with the 6 layers AND being ceramic all the way through - not just coated. And they also talk about the heating and the fact that it has tourmaline AND some nano stuff that I can't remember.

So now, I guess my question is does it really make a difference when you use it? I mean, can you tell that it is $200 better than the Platform?

Anyone who has tried both, I'd love to hear from you.

joyandfaith

I've used the FHI Runway and I have to tell you...it was GREAT! I had no idea it cost $450, but it kinda makes sense because its the only time I've ever been able to flat iron my hair myself and have it look like I went to the salon.

I asked my mom to get me a FHI for X-mas and it works, but not as well as my friends' FHI. It took me forever to figure out that mine wasn't the Runway version. It really is very different. I don't know if $450 is a reasonable amount to spend on a flat iron (unless you got it like that).

...but if you do have it like that, this thing is absolutely worth it. In addition to straightening my hair like nothing before, it seemed to lock the moisture into my hair making it really straight and soft.

ETA: My friend has 4a/b hair and it worked just as well on her.

i purchased the runway after my hairdresser pressed my hair with it. My hair was silkier than ever. I paid $250.00 on amazon and think it's worth it. That coming from someone who already has the sedu, maxiglide, chi, and fhi platform. I achieve great results every time.

MrsQueeny

Because someone will buy it. For $450, it had better babysit, cook, clean, make my look 20 lbs smaller, give me a back rub, foot massage, scalp massage, manicure and pedicure. I'll keep my maxiglide thank you!!! Q

jetera21

I don't care how many layers it has or how silkier it makes my hair. For that much, the plates better be coated with a special hair growing solution that really works and I want to be able to use that bad boy everyday with NO BREAKAGE, SPLIT ENDS, DAMAGE, NOTHING!!!!!

tocktick

^^ lol there is a flat-iron here that costs £399 and it's coated with crystals :ohwell:.

TLC1020

$450 for some flat irons :lachen::lachen: that cracks me up.. I don't care who they expect to purchase it, it won't be me... If it's used mostly by celebrity stylists then they are using it on mostly weaved hair styles anyway :ohwell:. It's so funny b/c the beauty market is a billon dollar industry so someone will buy it...

*closer*2*my*dreams*

OT: I have the FHI 207RVI ( ij ust straightened my hair with it for the first time on Satruday and it was ok, nothing spectacular. I think i just suck at straightening) ; is the platform significantly different than the otehr model

SoCalli

Okay, I found out the information. It's on the FHI website. Its a video tutorial which I must say was pretty informative.
http://www.fhiheat.com/technology.aspx

So I guess it does have to do with the 6 layers AND being ceramic all the way through - not just coated. And they also talk about the heating and the fact that it has tourmaline AND some nano stuff that I can't remember.

So now, I guess my question is does it really make a difference when you use it? I mean, can you tell that it is $200 better than the Platform?

Anyone who has tried both, I'd love to hear from you.

I think they work the same. The only difference is probably the amount of time they both last. I think the coated one would need to be replaced sooner than the Runway. Since it is coated, the plates will peel eventually. I have a first generation FHI iron, and I can see it peeling ever so slightly. That will never happen with the Runway. Thanks for the video!

Loliz

i purchased the runway after my hairdresser pressed my hair with it. My hair was silkier than ever. I paid $250.00 on amazon and think it's worth it. That coming from someone who already has the sedu, maxiglide, chi, and fhi platform. I achieve great results every time.

I was checking out the Runway's on amazon and ebay. I'm just always scared that it won't be the real deal. I mean, I don't want to pay $450, but I don't want to spend $200 either on something that isn't real. How are they really able to offer it $200 less? How are they making any money? I know that if you buy it anywhere but the FHI website you don't get the warranty, but if the iron is legitimate and it really is $200 less then it would be worth it.

Last edited:

SoCalli

I was checking out the Runway's on amazon and ebay. I'm just always scared that it won't be the real deal. I mean, I don't want to pay $450, but I don't want to spend $200 either on something that isn't real. How are they really able to offer it $200 less? How are they making any money? I know that if you buy it anywhere but the FHI website you don't get the warranty, but if the iron is legitimate and it really is $200 less then it would be worth it.

This is my concern. I bought my dryer on ebay, but I think that for my Runway I will go to an authorized dealer. The cheapest I have seen it for is $310 and that is with a discount.

Also, you will notice that on ebay they either don't post how many layers of ceramic the flat iron has or they say it has three layers. The real deal has six layers of ceramic so I don't know...it sound fishy.

Loliz

This is my concern. I bought my dryer on ebay, but I think that for my Runway I will go to an authorized dealer. The cheapest I have seen it for is $310 and that is with a discount.

Also, you will notice that on ebay they either don't post how many layers of ceramic the flat iron has or they say it has three layers. The real deal has six layers of ceramic so I don't know...it sound fishy.

I DID see that! And I was wondering about that too. But I thought the only way you could get it from an authorized dealer was from their website. Where did you see it for $310? How do you know it is an authorized dealer?

SoCalli

I DID see that! And I was wondering about that too. But I thought the only way you could get it from an authorized dealer was from their website. Where did you see it for $310? How do you know it is an authorized dealer?

http://www.frizzy2silky.com/shop/runway-pure-ceramic-tourmaline-styling-iron-flat-iron-p-4215.html

Save $50 on this FHI item! Enter redeem code "runway50" at checkout.

The price is $360, but there is a $50 discount.

Loliz

http://www.frizzy2silky.com/shop/runway-pure-ceramic-tourmaline-styling-iron-flat-iron-p-4215.html

Save $50 on this FHI item! Enter redeem code "runway50" at checkout.

The price is $360, but there is a $50 discount.

Hmmm. They do say they are an authorized FHI reseller. I might have to look into this one. $310 is a lot better than $450! That's about four - five visits to the salon. I might be able to work with that.

SoCalli

Hmmm. They do say they are an authorized FHI reseller. I might have to look into this one. $310 is a lot better than $450! That's about four - five visits to the salon. I might be able to work with that.

LOL...that's what I'm saying! I've been searching and searching for the cheapest price. I'll let you know if I find something better.

Loliz

LOL...that's what I'm saying! I've been searching and searching for the cheapest price. I'll let you know if I find something better.

Here's the official statement from the FHI website:

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR FHI HEAT MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY IS EFFECTIVE ONLY IF YOU HAVE A VALID RECEIPT FROM A PROFESSIONAL BEAUTY SALON OR OTHER SELECT AUTHORIZED BEAUTY PRODUCTS RESELLER OR IF YOU PURCHASE THE PRODUCT FROM WWW.FHIHEAT.COM WEBSITE. THE WARRANTY IS NOT EFFECTIVE IF THE FHI HEAT STYLING TOOL WAS PURCHASED FROM ANY SOURCE NOT LISTED ABOVE, INCLUDING ANY INTERNET RESELLER OR AUCTION SITE.

I sent them an email asking them if frizzy2silky.com is considered an authorized beauty products reseller. We'll see what they say. I also emailed frizzy2silky and asked them the same thing.

I'll let you know when I hear back.