Why does the FHI RUNWAY cost $450??!!

FindingMe

Re: Why does the FHI PLATFORM cost $450??!!

I have one, too altho- I didn't pay 450 for it. I wanna say like $250 or so? I am one of those chicks that see something in Allure or InStyle and folks say it's the best, so I want it...:perplexed...issues...

Anywhoo- I have a Chi, Sedu and FHI Runway. It's weird bc the Sedu and the Chi glide through my hair easier while straightening (the Sedu better than the Chi), but the FHI straightens the hair wayyy better than the others. Hands down. I am 22 weeks post with thick 4a type-ish hair and it takes like one pass, two at most to get my roots straight and silky like a relaxer. I rollerset/flat ironed last week and have been pincurling, and my hair is still flowing with movement. The roots revert a little, but not much...

Pic below...pic in my avi was same day (front) and also done with the runway...

ETA: I rollerset with a little Lottabody+water+leave-in conditioner and added about a dime size of Sabino Moisture Block. Once I took the rollers out, I flatironed (slower on the NG and then quickly over the ends) with the FHI (at maybe 375 degrees) and added no additional products. I had shine and body from the root to the tip. Again, each section took 1 pass for me, some thicker sections may have had an additional pass on the NG, but not the ends...

Attachments

• 100_5389.jpg
    100_5389.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

mikosbelle

Alright, my quest to purchase the runway at an affordable price still continues. In the process I noticed another flat iron that has very similar features to include the 100% ceramic plates however the cost is only $189.95 I think. Attached is the link for the flat iron by Hanna

http://www.misikko.com/hana-elite-flat-iron.html

Any thoughts on this iron? Is it comparable to the Runway?

Thanks Ladies!!

Allandra

i purchased the runway after my hairdresser pressed my hair with it. My hair was silkier than ever. I paid $250.00 on amazon and think it's worth it. That coming from someone who already has the sedu, maxiglide, chi, and fhi platform. I achieve great results every time.
I have a Sedu. I'm going to check around and see if anyone in my area has this flat iron. It sounds like a dream. One of my sisters-in-law is a stylist. I'm going to have her price one for me.

Last edited:

SoCalli

Alright, my quest to purchase the runway at an affordable price still continues. In the process I noticed another flat iron that has very similar features to include the 100% ceramic plates however the cost is only $189.95 I think. Attached is the link for the flat iron by Hanna

Thanks Ladies!!

I have seen this one before. I would say it is a cheaper alternative. The only thing I notice is that it doesn't say how many layers of ceramic this iron has and it doesn't say how much more negative ions it produces. I have never used either so I can't say what the true difference is.

nakialovesshoes

I go to a college student to get my hair flat ironed. She uses the FHI ($150 one) to straighten & the Chi to curl & "seal" as she calls it. B/c of the high temp, she says the FHI straightens natural hair better but the Chi gives a better sheen. She told me that she is about to invest in the $450 FHI because it does both & she will no longer have to use 2 irons. I know this is 2nd hand info but, she also said that her girlfriend is a natural & her girlfriend's stylist started using the more expensive FHI & that the reversion rate is less with this new iron. HTH...

AtlantaJJ

That's so true. I really think they geared that iron more towards the professionals.

It's a truly awesome iron. I don't like using my others after having used this one for so long. I called myself buying backups and they just don't compare.

Just imagine getting 4b natural hair silky straight with one swipe. That's what it does for me.

I'll probably buy another one within the next few months so I can have a comparable backup!! :grin:
Yes, you get a tax write off for this fine peice of equipment, it's like me purchasing a laptop! LOL I have to find a way to make this FHI iron an IT related expendature :scratchch

mikosbelle

http://www.beautychoice.com/products/FHI_Heat_Runway_100_Pure_Ceramic_Flat_Iron_1-5332-3.html

They have it for 289.95. I tried to write to them to see if there could be some sort of LHCF discount. But I know a lot of people on youtube will advertise and have coupon codes and it's free shipping.

Outside of e-bay this is the best price that I have seen it for. If I can't come up with anything else, then I am gonna go ahead and drop my order.

SoCalli

http://www.beautychoice.com/products/FHI_Heat_Runway_100_Pure_Ceramic_Flat_Iron_1-5332-3.html

They have it for 289.95. I tried to write to them to see if there could be some sort of LHCF discount. But I know a lot of people on youtube will advertise and have coupon codes and it's free shipping.

I would be weary of buying this one. The site says that it has 3 baked layers of ceramic, but FHI's website says that it was 6 baked layers. :nono: This is either a fake or an older version??? I have no idea which it is.

alwayzalady22

i just won a fhi runway on ebay for $217.00 + shipping :look:

i hope it's real..... or a real good knockoff :lachen:

will keep yall posted :yep:

nakialovesshoes

I plan 2 buy 1. However, I think I'm going 2 have 2 bite the bullet & buy it directly from FHI. I'm 2 afraid of ending up w/a knock off.

nakialovesshoes

I started doing my research online prices & thanks 2 this thread & my research I found some really good prices online. But I was still scared 2 buy 1 & not have FHI honor my warranty should something b wrong. & then there's that bootleg thing...

So, I called FHI & spoke 2 customer service. According 2 the rep, there r no authorized online retailers. If u purchase a FHI online u r not covered under their warranty.

Well my next ? was where could I purchase a Runway n Georgia. She told me that their Salon Locator feature was 4 exactly that & supposedly 2 Groovy Salon sells them. She told me 2 make sure I purchased from a salon listed on their website versus a direct purchase from FHI simply b/c I'd get a much better price.

I also asked about repair being that this iron has solid ceramic plates = fragile. She said that of course the warranty doesn't cover plates damaged by dropping. She said that right now they don't have a repair program like that of Chi's b/c of the complicated construction of the iron. She did say, however, that a repair plan is n the making so if u do purchase 1 & drop it & break the plates, then hold on 2 it until the program is up & running & u can have it replaced then.

Just thought I'd pass these tidbits on if any1's interested...:look:

alwayzalady22

nakia girl, you are right on time with that!

so i got my runway today, and it came in the box, bubble wrapped with a piece of red tape securing the wrap. the date code on this runway is 0803 and below it, it says BEAUTY MAX LLC. i see what i think is a serial number: 204 LE, and below it fhi-h f20810. there's also tiny white writing on the cord.

can somebody who owns a legit runway take a look at theirs and let me know if this is sounding familiar to anybody? :look: i'm almost inclined to believe that mine may be real, but if not, i got the ****'s address who sold it to me and she don't live but an hour away :lachen:

one thing i did notice is how lightweight this flat iron is! i don't think i've ever had an iron this light (my current iron is an hai silk that i've had for almost 4 years).

oh, and i'm washing friday night and will use this on saturday (weaved up 4b with 2'' perimeter of my hair left out). :look: will keep yall posted!

apollo

I bought mine from Amazon for $250 dollars. I think it is pretty good, but I don't get to use it that often because I am in the Army.

nakialovesshoes

Honestly FHI doesn't deny that people are selling legit irons on the web. They know that they're legit b/c they're supplying these people. However, they just won't honor the warranty. N a prev post I think some1 says that the website will guarantee the iron & if something happens u just send it back 2 them & they replace it. So most likely urs is just fine. :yep:

nakia girl, you are right on time with that!

so i got my runway today, and it came in the box, bubble wrapped with a piece of red tape securing the wrap. the date code on this runway is 0803 and below it, it says BEAUTY MAX LLC. i see what i think is a serial number: 204 LE, and below it fhi-h f20810. there's also tiny white writing on the cord.

can somebody who owns a legit runway take a look at theirs and let me know if this is sounding familiar to anybody? :look: i'm almost inclined to believe that mine may be real, but if not, i got the ****'s address who sold it to me and she don't live but an hour away :lachen:

one thing i did notice is how lightweight this flat iron is! i don't think i've ever had an iron this light (my current iron is an hai silk that i've had for almost 4 years).

oh, and i'm washing friday night and will use this on saturday (weaved up 4b with 2'' perimeter of my hair left out). :look: will keep yall posted!

SoCalli

I started doing my research online prices & thanks 2 this thread & my research I found some really good prices online. But I was still scared 2 buy 1 & not have FHI honor my warranty should something b wrong. & then there's that bootleg thing...

So, I called FHI & spoke 2 customer service. According 2 the rep, there r no authorized online retailers. If u purchase a FHI online u r not covered under their warranty.

Well my next ? was where could I purchase a Runway n Georgia. She told me that their Salon Locator feature was 4 exactly that & supposedly 2 Groovy Salon sells them. She told me 2 make sure I purchased from a salon listed on their website versus a direct purchase from FHI simply b/c I'd get a much better price.

I also asked about repair being that this iron has solid ceramic plates = fragile. She said that of course the warranty doesn't cover plates damaged by dropping. She said that right now they don't have a repair program like that of Chi's b/c of the complicated construction of the iron. She did say, however, that a repair plan is n the making so if u do purchase 1 & drop it & break the plates, then hold on 2 it until the program is up & running & u can have it replaced then.

Thanks for the info. I will be calling them up and asking them where I can get this in San Diego.

Healthb4Length

Thanks Ladies!!

The Runway has been on my dream list forever but the Hana seems comparable. I wish I could find out more about it though, I know that it is 100% ceramic plates but I wonder how many layers it has? If you do get it please give a review. TIA.

SoCalli

I followed your lead and called FHI. They gave me four salons to call. One is selling me the iron for $200 plus $15 for tax! I'm so excited. Haven't gotten it yet, but I can't wait!!!!!!! Thanks again for the tip!

SoCalli

Additional info for you ladies...

I asked FHI the following question:
Why do I see versions of the Runway with three layers of ceramic. Is that an older model or a knockoff? Please let me know and thanks in advance.

Here was there response:
If your iron was purchased from one of our authorized dealers we have a typo on our runway iron box (We are aware of the typo). Your irons has been created with six layers of ceramic.

nakialovesshoes

I followed your lead and called FHI. They gave me four salons to call. One is selling me the iron for $200 plus $15 for tax! I'm so excited. Haven't gotten it yet, but I can't wait!!!!!!! Thanks again for the tip!

That sounds good 2 me. Hey...if the deals aren't so good here n Atlanta, u think I could get u 2 purchase 1 for me - or @ least give me the salon info so that I can see if they'll sell it 2 me & I just pay 4 shipping?

Healthb4Length

I called Misiko.com today and asked them about the differences between FHI and the Hana Flat iron. They stated that the Hana has 1 solid ceramic plate while the FHI has 6 layers. THey said there's no real difference only the way the irons are made. Now that I see some of us are getting deals for the Runway for $200 and some change I think I'll go ahead and call FHI and see if I can get a decent deal from the distributors in my area.

SoCalli

That sounds good 2 me. Hey...if the deals aren't so good here n Atlanta, u think I could get u 2 purchase 1 for me - or @ least give me the salon info so that I can see if they'll sell it 2 me & I just pay 4 shipping?

Yes, I think you could get it directly from her. Her website is www.pinkcorset.com. I spoke with the owner, Maribel. I got her number and address directly from FHI. The Fhi iron isn't on her website though. She told me my iron would be here Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. (She ordered it for me). I asked her how she was able to give it to me for such a low price, and she said that it was b/c she sells corsets too. When it gets here, I'll be sure to post an update with a review of her customer service. She asked for a deposit of half the price, which I gave her over the phone so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing. :yep:

mikosbelle

Yes, I think you could get it directly from her. Her website is www.pinkcorset.com. I spoke with the owner, Maribel. I got her number and address directly from FHI. The Fhi iron isn't on her website though. She told me my iron would be here Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. (She ordered it for me). I asked her how she was able to give it to me for such a low price, and she said that it was b/c she sells corsets too. When it gets here, I'll be sure to post an update with a review of her customer service. She asked for a deposit of half the price, which I gave her over the phone so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same thing. :yep:

Oh thanks so much for the direct connection, this is such a blessing. I will be calling her as soon as the salon opens this morning and placing my order. I tried a distributor in LaGrange, GA and she initially quoted me a price higher than what was on the internet. When I told her FHI's internet price she then was like oh I must have a typo on my pricing sheet. Very shady!! Then when I called Too Groovy in ATL, they told me they cannot retail the Runway b/c it is for professional/license use only. So oh well....no in GA wanted to play fair and hook a sista up, so I will call the salon in Cali.

Thanks once again, you are a blessing!!:yep:

SoCalli

Oh thanks so much for the direct connection, this is such a blessing. I will be calling her as soon as the salon opens this morning and placing my order. I tried a distributor in LaGrange, GA and she initially quoted me a price higher than what was on the internet. When I told her FHI's internet price she then was like oh I must have a typo on my pricing sheet. Very shady!! Then when I called Too Groovy in ATL, they told me they cannot retail the Runway b/c it is for professional/license use only. So oh well....no in GA wanted to play fair and hook a sista up, so I will call the salon in Cali.

You are soooooooooo welcome. I understand. I've been wanting the Runway for the longest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

nakialovesshoes

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. My girlfriend goes to a certified FHI educator. I had her inquire about getting the Runway & she gave her this spill about how it really wasn't much difference - only that it would do the work of 2 irons. Well 1 iron doing the work of 2 is a big difference. Basically she gave her the runaround. Are stylists really that insecure these days? Geez...:rolleyes:

nakialovesshoes

Thanks so very much 4 this info. I, 2, will be ordering from Cali since they r tripping here n the A.

MizAvalon

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. My girlfriend goes to a certified FHI educator. I had her inquire about getting the Runway & she gave her this spill about how it really wasn't much difference - only that it would do the work of 2 irons. Well 1 iron doing the work of 2 is a big difference. Basically she gave her the runaround. Are stylists really that insecure these days? Geez...:rolleyes:

Yes, they are.:nono: