Why don't you answer questions in the hair forum?

Why don't you answer questions in the hair forum?

• There's already 50-11 threads on the topic. Newbies need to search!

Votes: 74 36.8%
  • Many of them ask a question and never return to answer my follow up questions.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I only enter the hair forum for drama (e.g Shima and Ateeya threads )

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I usually don't know the answer

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 34 16.9%
  • This doesn't apply to me. I always answer questions.

Votes: 24 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finewine

I notice that there's often 480-500+ viewers in the hair forum, but no one is answering newbies' questions. I know that many of these viewers are not members, but I still feel like there's a lot of members on who just don't answer the questions (with the exception of MSA and glamazon).

It is so bad that it's forced some members to do the old bait and switch in order to get folks to enter their thread. :laugh: :look: :ohwell:

The main reason why I rarely answer is because of #4 and #2. I'm not on many bandwagons, nor am I a hair expert, so I rarely have the answers they seek.

So, why don't you answer questions in the hair forum?

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I just don't know the answers. I don't want to give out wrong advice. Then someone will later say "You made my hair fall out in clumps!" Sometimes I can barely take care of mine. :giggle:

Whimsy

I answer when I know the answer.
Sometimes I'm lazy.
Sometimes there was just a thread exactly the same the day before....
I don't have just one reason.

Jhuidah

I'll answer when I know the answer. Or at least can hazard an educated guess. Sometimes if people would go 2 or 3 pages deep, they'll find the answer. You can't stay on the front page the whole time.

Finewine

I'll answer when I know the answer. Or at least can hazard an educated guess. Sometimes if people would go 2 or 3 pages deep, they'll find the answer. You can't stay on the front page the whole time.

yeah, that's true. lazy newbs make it bad for them all.

I remember being a newbie and boy was it hard to get folks to answer questions. Eventually, I just researched all old threads and got the info I needed.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I always answer or try to help as much as I can. I may not be "popular" but I have been here a long time and I can give a newbie as much info as possible. Provided that they are willing to put aside their old bad habits and listen and practice.

HealthyHair2007

In defense of the Newbies, I think we just get so excited we jump right in with the questions instead of taking a deep breath and browsing around the topics. Shoot I have come to find the search feature as a trusty resource.....:grin:

Finewine

I always answer or try to help as much as I can. I may not be "popular" but I have been here a long time and I can give a newbie as much info as possible. Provided that they are willing to put aside their old bad habits and listen and practice.

i was just wondering where the folks who said they always answered were, thanks Tamrin.

I'm sure the newbies know who you are. I remember the few people who always answered my questions :yep:

pookaloo83

Yeah, but when newbies do a search, some of that info is outdated. Some of the threads are from 2005 2003 and some people aren't using those practices anymore and have found something that works better.

Finewine

In defense of the Newbies, I think we just get so excited we jump right in with the questions instead of taking a deep breath and browsing around the topics. Shoot I have come to find the search feature as a trusty resource.....:grin:

99% of the time people (not just newbies) need to do a search.

I agree with you both.

When I was a newbie this was my first forum and I had no idea what the search feature was. :look: I was always grateful when someone would post a link or give a brief description.

I think someone finally told me how to use the search feature and it was on from there. :yep: I spent that entire summer at work reading old threads. I came up with my reggie and everything else using the search feature, so I know it can be done. However, some of the stuff is outdated (growth aids, who's still vitamins) and you just want to know if people are still using certain methods and how it's working for them.

msa

Yeah, but when newbies do a search, some of that info is outdated. Some of the threads are from 2005 2003 and some people aren't using those practices anymore and have found something that works better.

That's why whenever I tell someone to do a search I also tell them exactly what to type in to google to get better results. And yet I've had people literally post don't tell me how to search just answer the question. That annoys me.

La Colocha

This is true i live in the archives but sometimes i need the 2009 version of things. I try to help as much as i can with what i know. And im still learning myself. And to the newbies who do recieve advice, recieve it with an open mind and take notes. There are alot of smart women on this board who you could learn from and who truly want to help.

Finewine

That's why whenever I tell someone to do a search I also tell them exactly what to type in to google to get better results. And yet I've had people literally post don't tell me how to search just answer the question. That annoys me.

:blush: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You've got to be kidding me? People have really said that to you?!

La Colocha

Msa you have the patience of job, you always go above and beyond and im grateful for people like you.

Platinum

I usually respond if I know the answer. If it's a subject with 50-11 threads, I usually just provide a link especially if the OP is a newbie.

JusticeMe

I'm a newbie and find I don't get a many responses as I'd like. But I typically always do a search in LHCF. THe problem is that I don't find exactly what I'm looking for, or maybe I need to learn a bit more about using the search feature better.

Also sometimes the thread I find are old, so I'd like to get an updated point of view from current members using the techniques or products in questions, especially because as we know products change ingredients etc.

JMHO. Oh, OMT also usually I have a particular scenario I'm inquiring about that other posts don't really address.

I don't mind people pointing me in the right direction with the link to a previous thread or even what to search on....
Okay now I'm done :)

Dposh167

I don't answer:

if i don't know the answer
easy questions that can be searched (what is a baggy? how do u cowash)
if it's a question geared to naturals (i'm relaxed)
if it's a bandwagon question, that i'm not apart of (megatek, etc)

BrooklynSouth

I agree with many of you. I know how left out I felt as a newbie when asking a question or sending a PM to someone who totalIy ignored my question or comment. I answer when I can give a sure answer but it is awful when someone does answer then the OP returns saying "this or that awful thing happened to my hair due to......" No one wants to be blamed for suggestions whch work for some not others; with experience we learn to accept setbacks and product variance but some newbies may not yet understand it's a part of the learning curve. Yes, yes, yes, the search function was my reading material for months in the beginning.

trenise

I hardly even go into the hair forum any more since I'm just coasting right now trying to stick with some techniques. Besides, I don't really know that much. I'm still trying to figure my own hair out and my sister's. One day, when I master relaxed 4b hair, I will light up the hair board! lol

sylver2

most of the time i don't know what to tell them. i dont want to say what i do because i kno it doesn't work for everyone. so other then knowing what i do..i just don't kno the answer or feel confidant in answering.

aprils13

Cause sometimes someone asks the same question over and over in different threads and recieves advise but doesnt take it.

Tamrin

unapologetic
The main problem is that, newbies are often here in search of a quick way to have "ankle lenght hair." Therefore, growth aids are the first option. When advising a newbie I try to recommend care first. Good hair care practices are a must and inevitably length will follow.

The hardest part is explaining the moisture and protein balance subject. As all of us have been there, we were not aware that not all Deep conditioners are the same. They are also in need of being taught to read labels.

Last edited:

RubyWoo

Mostly because the topic as been addressed before and I've answered the question plenty of times before. Also, many of the questions can be answered by reading the stickied threads. The stickied threads were my reference guides when I got searious about length and haircare. I also don't find any info on here outdated especially w/respect to methods re:retaining length and healthy hair practices.

When I was a newbie, I LOVED the search function and still love it! There is soo much information on here. I was too intimidated to start a thread:lol:! If I had a question and couldn't find the answer via search, I would then start a topic. I always got responses from folks on here.

*Muffin*

I try to answer as many people's questions as I can. I know how it is having a full head of hair that's suffering and no clue on how to care for it. But there really is no set way of attaining healthy, beautiful hair. So I try to just give general guide lines rather than tell them exactly what I do, because what I do works for ME. I tried following regimens that worked for other people, and some things worked and others didn't. So I try to steer clear of giving advice like "Oh, use this. Works every time!". Depending on what symptoms their hair is exhibiting I try to tell them what the possible problem could be and some of the possible routes and solutions they could take.

P.S. I usually don't answer in detail questions that are matters of opinion like "Which grows faster, relaxed hair or natural hair?" or "I need a reggie!". That's for them to decide personally, IMO.

Last edited:

ImFree27

if the question has been answered before..then people don't answer..or in my case..sometimes i'm too lazy too type..or read long posts..

Tamrin

unapologetic
Newbies don't answer my questions, or don't want to take the time to try some thing new to their hair.

I have gone as far creating a newbie oriented regimen. Simple not much stuff needed. Im willing to share with the ones willing to listen.