Why DON'T You Rollerset?

Why don't you rollerset your hair?

• I'm too lazy!

Votes: 154 26.4%
  • It's just too much manipulation for me

Votes: 77 13.2%
  • I don't know how to roller set!

Votes: 184 31.6%
  • I *LOVE* roller setting, what's your problem? :-)

Votes: 168 28.8%

• Total voters
It's too much manipulation for me. I always end up with breakage, no matter what tips or tricks I try. It's easier to air dry, and then use caruso rollers for curls.

How exactly do you use Caruso rollers? Do you put any product in your hair with the rollers?

Last edited:

Jade Feria

I love the way my hair looks when I rollerset it. I usually rollerset once a week on wash day. When I co-wash I usually just leave it out to air dry.

SmartyPants

I swear by roller setting. I just transitioned back to relaxers after cutting all my hair off. My hair was about 1 inch (to 2 inches in parts) all over when I first relaxed and I found rollers small enough to roll my hair.

My hair thrives with roller sets. I find that my hair starts breaking when I'm too lazy to set. So, this time around, as a faithful reader of LHCF :grin:, I will roller set my hair every night.

For those of you who are new to roller setting, it might be helpful if you start off with the snap-on magnetic rollers because they hold a little better. they make those in bigger sizes. I just ordered these http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/ansnonmaro.html to set my mothers hair on (she's blessed with a different grade of hair than me and her hair is already apl).

When you get the hang of roller setting, you can try the bigger rollers that do not come as snap-ons.

One more thing, it can be hard to get the hang of clips, so when I roller set I use those jumbo roller pins like these http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/300rojupi.html.

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

I swear by roller setting. I just transitioned back to relaxers after cutting all my hair off. My hair was about 1 inch (to 2 inches in parts) all over when I first relaxed and I found rollers small enough to roll my hair.

My hair thrives with roller sets. I find that my hair starts breaking when I'm too lazy to set. So, this time around, as a faithful reader of LHCF :grin:, I will roller set my hair every night.

For those of you who are new to roller setting, it might be helpful if you start off with the snap-on magnetic rollers because they hold a little better. they make those in bigger sizes. I just ordered these http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/ansnonmaro.html to set my mothers hair on (she's blessed with a different grade of hair than me and her hair is already apl).

When you get the hang of roller setting, you can try the bigger rollers that do not come as snap-ons.

One more thing, it can be hard to get the hang of clips, so when I roller set I use those jumbo roller pins like these http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/300rojupi.html.

I use these exact same rollers when I do get up the energy to rollerset. They are wonderful. I have them in purple (jumbo) and yellow (extra large).

Soliel185

I thought I was the only one. My avator is a rollerset from last year and I look older...at least I think I do.

OT: Your hair is GAWJUS!

Thank You :drunk: I will probably try again when my hair is longer and if I decide to get a dryer. But when I first tried a few months ago ish looked like wig b/c it was so far off my head!

aloof one

Yesterday night I was at a study group with this girl I just met, and I was thinking about how ate up her hair was. (Thanks LHCF, all I think about is hair now :ohwell:) She had twists (but like they were extrentions twisted around her hair, which was like 3 inches long I guess. They were old too.

Anyway her room mate came in and she had hair a little longer than mine but probably above APL. It wasn't broken or damaged or anything! And it was just pretty! So later she came in before she went to bed, and guess what shed done to her hair? Roller set. I think she sleeps like that! I bet its working too. The girl I was studying with was like WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THAT?! And he room mate just looked at those expired bright red twists, and was like... ugh, goodnight! lol

I need to get up on it, lol, if her hair looks that good, maybe there is something to this?

Do you ladies rollerset to protect your hair at night or to keep it straight or naything like that? Hers was already straight and Im sure she was going to sleep cause she wrapped it up and said goodnight.

SmartyPants

Do you ladies rollerset to protect your hair at night or to keep it straight or naything like that?

Yep. It also helps to hold the curl better. Your hair doesn't get all limp when you take a shower, etc. Although, I do end up having to take a blowdryer to my sides and nape because when I take a shower, I tend to get water EVERYWHERE! But, I use the blowdryer while my hair is still in rollers.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure...

Right now, I roll my hair on the satin covered foam rollers at night. I do this because my hair is too short to "cling" to the magnetic rollers when dry. In February 2007, I cut all my hair off and went natural. I hated that, so I got a new relaxer in June when my hair grew out long enough to roller set (about an inch to an inch and a half relaxed).

My hair used to be slightly longer than SL but not quite APL about 15 years ago. My hair grew that long because I faithfully washed and deep conditioned (moisturizer) my hair once a week AND roller set my hair on magnetic rollers every night. I slept on those magnetic rollers (you get used to them).

My hair fell out because (a) I moved to a completely different climate and did not tweak my products and most importantly (b) when I was in graduate school I stopped taking care of my hair because I felt I did not have the time.

This time I am making time to care for my hair just like I make time to care for my mind and body.

InJesusName

I just can't get the dang roller thing down. I am so challenged when it comes to doing my own hair! Every time I try to roller set I either end up with smooth roots and frizzy ends or frezzy roots and smooth ends. They say practice makes perfect, so I am going to keep trying. Maybe I'll get it right when I grow up:ohwell::spinning:!

ccd

I have been rollersetting for 8 yrs I guess...I do airdry when i wash and go but if I want to have a straight look I do rollers....I think it has improved the texture, condition of my hair. When I was younger I blew dried my hair and I don't know what else but my hair was fried and broke so when I started going to "the dominicans" I just paid attention and made sure I could do it at home. I visit the salon for touchups and the occasional wash and set ( when I am lazy :) but I do it at home. I love it:grin:

Travis Girl

I love my hair after a roller set!

But to do it myself...it's so sad :sad:---I'm not so skilled and then my biceps have the nerve to "feel the burn!:whip: "

Nicole4rc

I loved my rollersets. I got it right on the first try after days of researching and then my soft bonnet dryer BROKE after a 4 uses. :wallbash:That thing cost me 80 dollars until I get another one, I'm sticking with a little bit of blow drying and air drying. But my curls were always lovely with the rollersets.

meaganita

I used to do/get rollersets all the time when I was relaxed.

But now that I'm natural, it just seems like too much work.

Plus, I'm just not interested.....:ohwell:

secretdiamond

Just can't part my hair without it snapping or breaking. Like someone else said, my hair snaps like crazy while wet. :(

My hair will take forever to dry. I don't have a pibbs & my dryer now is so crappy.

Can't get the roller to roll right to stay at the center of the part.

Can't get the clips to hold the roller.

ETA: It takes forever for me to part my hair and even put the rollers in. The first time I tried, it took 1.5 hours to PUT the rollers in.

:wallbash:

Supervixen

I voted I LOVE rollersetting, but I've just started doing it for about 3 months now. I couldn't ever get the rollers tight enough, BUT the ponytail method has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Rollersetting is all I do now!

Simply_Kelz

Mainly because 1.) My roots always come out kind of crispy, and I can never get it straight enough. 2.) My wet hair doesn't like all the manipulation. 3.) Too much effort for me, to come out with a sub-par style.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I got alot of breakage while rollersetting. Although the results were always gorgeous (the last successful attempt in my avatar), I hated seeing all of the hair in the comb. Plus my hair is hard to detangle after about 2-3 weeks post. When I want curls, I'll pop in my Caruso's

beans4reezy

I love them! I've tried banu knots, braid outs, air drying, but I awalys come back to rollersets. Rollersets for life baby!

Saffirejuiliet

Rollersets are so beautiful, but I am too lazy to do them. I think they are too much manipulation for my hair, as well. I will do them about twice a year.