Why is blow drying bad?

FoxxyLocs

foxxy, about once a week except for brief periods of braids/cornrows. I would guess I flat-iron afterwards maybe 25%of the time.
My wet styling usually ends up in disaster, and I really just dont know any other way to achieve the styles I like, the heat softens and adds an airyness that allows my styles to 'move'/have body.
I also dont know any other way to get thru my hair and get it smooth without using the comb, but once I run the denman thru it, the comb goes thru easily.

The concern about heat damage has always seemed over-dramatized to me, but you do have to test what works for you.

May I ask how you got your siggy results, it has the look of soft blown out hair...

My siggy hair was a braid out from flat ironed hair. I flat ironed on very low heat, so sort of like a blow out. I think I had the iron on 230 or 250.

I'm not so much concerned about texture changes from heat damage, I just don't want dryness or splits, anything that would force me to cut.

Sent from my HTC Evo

lana

My hair breaks comb attachments:lachen:so I let them go years ago.
Denman brushes and small combs murder my strands and I'm tender headed so you know I'm gentle...I still lost too much hair...so I let those go too.

I guess I'm the only one so far that uses the tension method? I'm sure there are others since I learned it on this board. :)

First I heavily deep condition (with hooded dryer heat), rinse and spray with leave in.

Second I section the hair...into five or six sections. I detangle very gently with a shower comb.

Then I stretch the hair taut section by section and just run the blow dryer with nozzle over the hair in a downward direction...I don't use a comb attachment.

I stop, comb through again and finish that section.

I do this throughout the hair and make sure the roots are dry. I have found that my hair responds to straightening better when it's WET. I don't let it start to dry because I have a ton of 4a/b texture and it starts to curl up quick!

I apply CHI Silk Infusion before blow drying. I also use Aveda Blow Straight Lotion.

These products allow me to get shaky straight hair without heat damage. I personally always do what works for MY hair and I need to feel confidant about my style since I'm a DIYer! I get salon results at home. So it must be working. On my way to mid-back length and never dreamed I could get there, but now...it's happening!

I hope this helps some other 4a/b head the way LHCF has helped me.

If I had known about Redken Smooth down, CHI on wet hair (detangles like a dream), Mane & Tail Conditioner, Aveda Blow Straight Lotion...I might still be natural. But now I'm loving this Texlaxed head and growing to fast to let it go!

Last edited:

Zaynab

I think blow drying maybe bad for relaxed hair but it doesn't give me any problems on my natural hair. I used to blow dry once a week but now I'm down to about 2x a month because I've learned how to keep my blowouts longer and try different styles. I'm probably just lazy and that's why all I can do is blowdry. I've tried rollersetting but it just doesn't work for me. I'm still bugging @ClassicBeauty to show me how to really rollerset.

I have had NO issues with retaining length. My hair is very shiney, people even ask me if it's all my hair. My hair is currently four inches past bra strap and was WL last year, It's never been an issue for me. I actually wear my hair straight most of the time. I used to try and wash n go and do wet styles during the warmer months but that actually makes me LOSE length/hair and which is why I'm babying my hair right now, the summer wash n gos did a number on my hair.

Here's my reggie for blowdrying:

1. Wash (Wen Shampoo) and deep condition, rinse. I use Infusium leave in conditioner. Yes, yes it has whatever ya'll say is bad in it but it works for me. That's the ONLY product I put on my hair prior to blowdrying. I find that the more product you use to blowdry, it takes longer or doesn't get the roots as straight, I want my hair SUPER straight.

2. I flat iron on high in sections with Heat protectant spray. My favorite is ION heat protectant, been using it for years at Sallys. I only pull the flat iron through ONE time, that's it. I notice that when I do it on low, I have to go back a few times.

3. I roll my flat ironed hair up with Caruso's because I like not only straight but big bouncy curls.-

4. I leave it straight and blowdryed for two weeks, I might do pin curls here and there but I usually just twist it up in a high ponytail and that "keeps" the curls for the next two weeks. My roots get outta pocket during that time because I workout, run, etc. but my hair is still straight.

Thanks for tagging me @lana I'm probably the only person on this board that loves blowdrying. Probably the only blowdrying person that was ever FOTM too :lol:

ETA: I use a round brush an ION blow dryer, Revlon 1850 tourmaline this is the BEST dryer IMO. ANd I've gone through many.

http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-RV544-...05VG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320416506&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Raspberry

Denman brushes and small combs murder my strands and I'm tender headed so you know I'm gentle...I still lost too much hair...so I let those go too.

I guess I'm the only one so far that uses the tension method? I'm sure there are others since I learned it on this board. :)

First I heavily deep condition (with hooded dryer heat), rinse and spray with leave in.

Second I section the hair...into five or six sections. I detangle very gently with a shower comb.

Then I stretch the hair taut section by section and just run the blow dryer with nozzle over the hair in a downward direction...I don't use a comb attachment.

I do this throughout the hair and make sure the roots are dry. I have found that my hair responds to straightening better when it's WET. I don't let it start to dry because I have a ton of 4a/b texture and it starts to curl up quick!

I apply CHI Silk Infusion before blow drying. I also use Aveda Blow Straight Lotion.

These products allow me to get shaky straight hair without heat damage. I personally always do what works for MY hair and I need to feel confidant about my style since I'm a DIYer! I get salon results at home. So it must be working. On my way to mid-back length and never dreamed I could get there, but now...it's happening!

If I had known about Redken Smooth down, CHI on wet hair (detangles like a dream), Mane & Tail Conditioner, Aveda Blow Straight Lotion...I might still be natural. But now I'm loving this Texlaxed head and growing to fast to let it go!

Hmm... thanks @lana. I'm relaxed and besides fear of damage I'm just too lazy to use blow dryers and flat irons..or even rollersets, never did when I was natural either. I'm all about getting the most for the least effort when it comes to hair :giggle: However Im' intrigued by this tension method.. sounds like a little less effort then some of the other blow drying techniques, plus the hair doesn't touch the appliance..

ETA: For the relaxed heads, here's a good example of the tension method: http://kibibihair.blogspot.com/2011/05/tension-blow-dry-method.html

Last edited:

Kalia1

lana thanks for the tag:)

I use the tension method as well.

I stretch my wet hair hair and run the blowdryer up and down alongside a section of hair til it's dry.
The blowdryer is on the cool setting throughout the process this allows minimal heat to come in contact with my hair.

I like the ability to straightened my hair with out running a tool through it.

longfroinghair

This is exactly what I do to my natural 4a/b hair. The comb attachments break or consistently pop off for me as well. I deep condition, rinse, apply leave in and chi before blow drying and I LOVE the tension method. I'm glad this got you to almost midback length. I'm only shoulder length right now and this works for me, so it's comforting to know natural hair can grow with this method :grin:

prettybyrd

I swore off the blow dryer initially as a natural, but as time passed, and I actually learned how to use it, I've enjoyed the outcome on my hair more and more.

When I blow dry my hair, I know that I'm releasing the shed hairs that my Denman doesn't catch, and my comb passes over. I love that. I used to be a cool temp only girl, but I do use hot on my roots.

I don't use the blow dryer on my hair while wet because that prolongs drying time and I'm a bit lazy. I usually put my hair in four braids, air-dry my hair and then use the blow dryer to straighten. Like another lady posted, this process takes only about 20 minutes...if that, really.

bellebebe

Blow-drying is not "bad" per say. If you blow dry your hair on high heat with no heat protectant (sometimes even with heat protectant.) each time you wash, then it's bad. The damage will magnify especially if you use a brush or comb attachment each time because you will be manipulating your ends excruciatingly. In addition, it is best to blowdry hair that has been mildly air dried because your ends are most fragile when they're soaked. Do not overuse the blowdryer, only use it as needed.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

@lana thanks for the tag:)

I stretch my wet hair hair and run the blowdryer up and down alongside a section of hair til it's dry.
The blowdryer is on the cool setting throughout the process this allows minimal heat to come in contact with my hair.

I wanted to try doing this on cool, but I think I would be there all day. I do it on warm. How long does this take you? Kalia1

Zaynab

@lana thanks for the tag:)

So you never use a brush or attachment? But how long does that take? I can't get a visual here

@lana I'm gonna have to look up this tension method. You have alot of hair like me, how long does this take? I'm too lazy to spend alot of time

pookaloo83

Zaynab get some hair in your hand and hold it taut. The way you hold it when you flat iron. Then with your other hand wave the blowdryer up and down the length of your hair. Hair comes out straight.

pookaloo83

I still lose hair with the tension method. I see tiny hairs. And it feels dry. So immediately after I get a moisturizer and smooth it on. I also don't use a heat protectant so that might be it too.

Zaynab

@Zaynab get some hair in your hand and hold it taut. The way you hold it when you flat iron. Then with your other hand wave the blowdryer up and down the length of your hair. Hair comes out straight.

I just watched the YT. I might try this in a bit. It's time to blow dry today:yep:

Mische

Thanks @lana

I love the tension method. It works best for me when I use small sections at a time and make sure the heat is blowing at a downward angle over the hair. I don't blow the heat up the length of the hair if that makes sense.

Kalia1

@pookaloo83-My hair is not thick,thick but it's medium in density and BSL so it takes me about 2 hours to do my whole head.

I have noticed that if I place it on warm for a few passes it accelerates the process.
I could be done in an hour. Although I like the faster pace I am trying to be patient and stay away from the heat.

I really believe that if I implement this twice a month my hair will be more manageable and it won't become damaged.

ETA: Your hair looks so nice. It's growing beautifully:yep:

pookaloo83

@pookaloo83-My hair is not thick,thick but it's medium in density and BSL so it takes me about 2 hours to do my whole head.

I have noticed that if I place it on warm for a few passes it accelerates the process.
I could be done in an hour. Although I like the faster pace I am trying to be patient and stay away from the heat.

I really believe that if I implement this twice a month my hair will be more manageable and it won't become damaged.

ETA: Your hair looks so nice. It's growing beautifully:yep:

Thank you! And Kalia1 does your hair come out straight with the cool setting? I'm gonna try this next time I wash.

Kalia1

I still lose hair with the tension method. I see tiny hairs. And it feels dry. So immediately after I get a moisturizer and smooth it on. I also don't use a heat protectant so that might be it too.

pookaloo83-Try using a heat protectant. My daughter and I use Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Straightening Serum.

Kalia1

@FoxxyLocs-Here is my daughter's hair she is natural too.

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpeg
    mail.google.com.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

LongLeggedLife

Do any of you have pics of your blow dry results or styles after blow drying?

Sent from my HTC Evo

Thx for reminding me, I was on my phone and couldnt upload any at the time..this is pretty much how I always wear my hair:

2-strand twist/ends set on flexis(or I will bantu knot instead of the flexis):

or

Flat iron and pin curl:

How it looks directly after a blow dry is my 2nd sig pic.

pookaloo83

Thx for reminding me, I was on my phone and couldnt upload any at the time..this is pretty much how I always wear my hair:

2-strand twist/ends set on flexis(or I will bantu knot instead of the flexis):

or

Flat iron and pin curl:

How it looks directly after a blow dry is my 2nd sig pic.

LongLeggedLife your hair looks nice! What does your hair look like in it's natural state?

Tamster

I think my subpar blowdrying (no heat protectant, no dc) earlier this year and late last year messed up my ends... im watching this thread... sigh i cant decide if rollersetting would be the way to go or attempting to blowdry

kblc06

For me, blow drying is the Devil, Diablo, Satan, Beelzebub- you get the picture. My hair never gets smooth and even when I blow dry in the right direction, my hair ends up tangly and full of static. I'd rather rollerset any day of the week, and I have smoother, longer lasting results :yep:.

LongLeggedLife

@LongLeggedLife your hair looks nice! What does your hair look like in it's natural state?
Thanks dear!
Its look crazy! lol

Lets just say I am not a wash and goer, Idk what it is by "type", but I have probably around 60-80% shrinkage, and I crave hangtime, so I always stretch!

But here it is (wet but no product- I NEVER let it just air dry like this-itd be a mess!):

FoxxyLocs

LongLeggedLife - some of my hair looks exactly like that! I have about 5 different textures going on, but that's one of them.:lachen: Your hair looks very nice in the pics you posted.

Kalia1 - did you get your daughter's hair that straight with just the tension method? It's very pretty!

Kalia1

FoxxyLocs-Thank you!

In the picture she had her hair blown out and flat iron at the salon.

She only uses that amount of heat about 3 times a year.