Why remove the alkaline base from weaves??????

tailormade84

If I am not allergic to fake hair, is there any benefit to removing the alkaline base from weaves (i.e. the marley braid hair used for kinky twists)???

Also, how do you know if you are allergic to fake hair? A rash? Breakage? dandruff???:ohwell:

RadiantBeauty

If I am not allergic to fake hair, is there any benefit to removing the alkaline base from weaves (i.e. the marley braid hair used for kinky twists)???

Also, how do you know if you are allergic to fake hair? A rash? Breakage? dandruff???:ohwell:

That is a good question. I guess a person could experience some sort of dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), a rash, or dandruff if the weave is sewn in.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I think that the hair that I have prepped beforehard is much softer - and easier to manipulate.

I do this with all the hair I use.

Thann

I not allergic either, but I always make of point to remove it anyways.

In the past when I didn't remove the base, I ended up taking the weave out within a week or two because the itching was unbearable. Sometimes the itching wouldnt start until after my first wash, but it was just as bad. After it happening a few time, it was enough for me to make a habit out of it.

eta: Didn't get the itching everytime I failed to wash the base off, was kind of like a hit or miss.