WHY YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR VITAMINS!

cmw45

Just a note to ladies who take water soluble vitamins...

I spoke to my doctor and he said that when taking water soluble vitamins, it is more effective to take several pills throughout the day rather than all at once. He says that the body uses what it is going to use up at that moment and then the rest of is excreted through urine; espically if you are drinking lots of water. (This is why it is virtually impossible to overdose on a water soluble vitamin like Vitamin C--the vitamin is not stored in the fat for later use by the body; which is true for fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin A or K, which it is possible to overdose on.) So, for your body to actually take in more of any water soluble vitamins, you should spread them throughtout the day.

So if you currently take 4 (1500mcg) =6000mcg in the morning...for a more effective dosage, you might want to try 1 (1500mcg) in the morning, 1 (1500mcg) at lunch, 1(1500mcg) in the evening, 1 (1500mcg) before bed =6000mcg. Or any other routine that allows you to spread the dosage throughout the day.

List of commmonly consumed water soluble vitamins:

Vitamin C - ascorbic acid
B Complex vitamins
Vitamin B 1 - thiamine, thiamin
Vitamin B 2 - riboflavin
Vitamin B 3 - niacin, niacinamide, nicotinic acid
Vitamin B 5 - pantothenic acid
Vitamin B 6 - pyridoxine
Vitamin B 9 - folacin, folic acid
Vitamin B 12 - cyanocobamin, cobalamin
PABA - para-aminobenzoic acid
Choline
Inositol
Vitamin H - biotin

HTH.

dreysonsmommy2011

Candy_C said:
i totally agree!!

also i heard taking vitamins with coffee is better for absorption too!

really? Well too bad I don't drink coffee. I usually take my vitamins in the morning and at night. I thought that was good enough

amara11

Excellent! I hate taking pills, so I try to do it all at once to get it over with...... but what's the point if its not absorbing as effectively. Thanks for all the information- and it was nice of you to include a list!

Hareitiz

Man, I wish I would have read this 20 min ago cause' I just gulpped down all of my vitamins at once! Oh well.......thanks for the info!

I also want to add that I was told by my doctor that if you are taking Biotin, one thing that will definetely reduce it's effectiveness is alcoholic beverages.

KiniKakes

A little confused:

So does this mean that if you are taking 3 different kinds of vitamins 2x per day....... you should spread all of those vitamins out, and take 6 vitamins throughout the day? Or is the doctor just stating that you should not be taking all 6 vitamins at once? Right now I take 3 vitamins at once (Nioxin, Flaxseed, Ultrabiotics) in the morning and in the evening. Should I be spacing all 6 of the vitamins out......?

BklynHeart

Candy_C said:
i totally agree!!

also i heard taking vitamins with coffee is better for absorption too!

Actually, its the opposite. My doctor told me if I'm taking any supplements to take them with water. Caffeine reduces absorption of vitamins. And if you're drinking tea, have lemon in it (vitamin C) which increases absorption e.g. iron.

dreysonsmommy2011

KiniKakes said:
A little confused:

So does this mean that if you are taking 3 different kinds of vitamins 2x per day....... you should spread all of those vitamins out, and take 6 vitamins throughout the day? Or is the doctor just stating that you should not be taking all 6 vitamins at once? Right now I take 3 vitamins at once (Nioxin, Flaxseed, Ultrabiotics) in the morning and in the evening. Should I be spacing all 6 of the vitamins out......?

Good question

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My B-complex is of the time-release (slow dissolving) variety, so I am not worried about that one. I think more research on vitamin-taking should be done because I can come up with a bunch of questions and get several different answers.

kbody4

My vitamins are timed released as well. The back of my bottle of vitamins requires to take two with food, and I like to take them in the morning. I take Biotin afterwards. I don't think that one is timed released.

punchinella

KiniKakes said:
A little confused:

I cannot really answer for the OP, but it seems like you are doing it right from what I'm reading.

cmw45

Sarafina said:
So does this mean that if you are taking a super b-complex, its' not being fully absorbed?

Well...yes and no...

Example 1: B Complex--1000mg Biotin, 1000mg Vitamin B-2, and 1000mg of B-3. If your body only wants to use 500mg of Biotin, 250mg of Vitamin B-2 and 100mg of B-3...and you only take it once a day, then the rest of the dosage is excreted through urine. Daily dose of each is:

500mg of Biotin
250mg of Vitamin B-2
100mg of B-3

Example 2: B-Complex--B Complex--1000mg Biotin, 1000mg Vitamin B-2, and 1000mg of B-3. If your body only wants to use 500mg of Biotin, 250mg of Vitamin B-2 and 100mg of B-3...and you take it twice a day...the daily dosage is:

1000mg of Biotin
500mg of Vitamin B-2
200mg of B-3

The real point is, that not all of the dosage is absorbed in one dosage as the body can only handle so much at one time and excretes the rest. To truely increase a dosage, you would need to increase the number of times you take it, not how much you take, because your body is always never going to absorb more than a set amount at one time.

*That being said, our bodies absorb differently based on health needs and diet.

HTH

cmw45

KiniKakes said:
A little confused:

Nope...what your doing is much better than if you took them all at once.

sherann

I know a lot of people take MSM here so I wanted to add that I read somewhere that MSM stays in the body for up to 12 hours. So to maximize the benefit of taking MSM, you want to break the dosage into 2 parts and take it twice a day.

Sarafina

cmw45 said:
Well...yes and no...

Example 1: B Complex--1000mg Biotin, 1000mg Vitamin B-2, and 1000mg of B-3. If your body only wants to use 500mg of Biotin, 250mg of Vitamin B-2 and 100mg of B-3...and you only take it once a day, then the rest of the dosage is excreted through urine. Daily dose of each is:

500mg of Biotin
250mg of Vitamin B-2
100mg of B-3

Example 2: B-Complex--B Complex--1000mg Biotin, 1000mg Vitamin B-2, and 1000mg of B-3. If your body only wants to use 500mg of Biotin, 250mg of Vitamin B-2 and 100mg of B-3...and you take it twice a day...the daily dosage is:

1000mg of Biotin
500mg of Vitamin B-2
200mg of B-3

The real point is, that not all of the dosage is absorbed in one dosage as the body can only handle so much at one time and excretes the rest. To truely increase a dosage, you would need to increase the number of times you take it, not how much you take, because your body is always never going to absorb more than a set amount at one time.

*That being said, our bodies absorb differently based on health needs and diet.

HTH

thank you :)

ThursdayGirl

I agree, if you're going to take them during the day... its is better to spread your dosage out over several hours.

Honestly, though, I find the best absorption is when I take my vitamins in the evening before bed. That is when the body is building itself up.

For example, if I take my hair vitamins and iron in the morning, I'll see it in my urine (there's color change, I know-gross) by midday. IF I take them in the evening, no excretion of the vitamins in the morning. Normal colored urine.

PeopleTalkDaily

So if I am taking:
Mulit-vitamin
bitoin
MSM-2 teaspoon
EPO-2xs a day

Maybe I should take one teaspoon of MSM in the evening with the EPO
and the rest in the am as I was before?

I am lost...Jeezeee...

PeopleTalkDaily

So if I am taking:
Mulit-vitamin
bitoin
MSM-2 teaspoon
EPO-2xs a day

I am lost...Jeezeee...

cmw45

yankgal007 said:
So if I am taking:
Mulit-vitamin
bitoin
MSM-2 teaspoon
EPO-2xs a day

I am lost...Jeezeee...

Yes..the second regimen would result in a greater absorption of the MSM and EPO. HTH.

indefinite

That's what happened when I took a nioxin in the morning and 1 at night before bed. I get 2 inches everytime doing that.

OnPoint

Okay, thanks for the info! I will try this for the month of August and then post my results. If I can get 1 inch this month---oooooh wee I would be happy!

Sosoothing

BklynHeart said:
Actually, its the opposite. My doctor told me if I'm taking any supplements to take them with water. Caffeine reduces absorption of vitamins. And if you're drinking tea, have lemon in it (vitamin C) which increases absorption e.g. iron.

Thats true. We had a topic about this in one of my classes.