Wig Burn! Lawd help me please......

Subscribe

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I brought a Motown wig off Amazon. It stated it was human hair wig. Upon arrival I soaked it for two days in Vinegar water. I also shampooec and conditioned it before wearing it.

I'm not use to having bangs, so I thought the hair touching my face was more of an annoyance rather than an actual real problem. Every day that I wore it I could not not wait until I reached my car so I could snatch her off. I felt kinda tense with her on.

Two to three weeks later I noticed my face was REALLY dry. I decided to double up on my moisturizer and didn't think twice about it. It wad until I took a wig free week off of work did I realize that my face is ****cries out to father God in heaven**** soooooo dry that is I can see the lines in my face AND it is darker than my normal skin tone. I have a halo of dark dry skin. Its everywhere the wig touched my skin.

I have worn a lot of human hair weaves and I have never had problem with them. :nono: WHY?????

My skin feels like it's inflamed and it feels like sandpaper.. Event the top of my ears are sensitive. The only thing that brings relief is when I splash cold water on my face.

What could have been on that wig that could cause my face to feel like this? What should I do for my skin? I have been slathering oil oil and Vaseline all over my face.

HELP!

Last edited:

felic1

Hi Sis! You sound like you have had an allergic reaction. Book an appointment with a dermatologist. You will feel much better. Be blessed!:meditate:

Subscribe

Thanks! I did call the dermatologist and she has no appoints available this year. I was hoping for suggestions for at home remedies.

Ladely

Try some aloe vera gel to soothe the irritation. I guess it goes without saying, but stop wearing that wig too. Keep your face clean. I wouldn't suggest vaseline either. I'm assuming it would clog the pores too much since your skin is sensitive right now.

I hope it gets better soon!

virtuenow

What kind of hair was it specifically? I mean what exactly does the packaging or website say. You can post the details and our Lhcf-certified-weave experts can help.

CurliDiva

So sorry to hear about this!

I second that you need to STOP wearing that wig.

What's the point of soaking the hair for two full days in vinegar? Are you sure that all of the vinegar was rinsed out properly ?

Think about how drying it would be to wash your face in vinegar for 3 weeks!

Last edited:

almond eyes

Buy an over the counter anti-histamine like allegra. That should hold you until you see your derm. You should take two before bed. One may not be strong enough.

Best,
Almond Eyes

felic1

I did not mean any disrespect. You could go to urgent care. I am not really sure about home remedies. I hope you get better soon!!

Ivonnovi

I'd recommend that you use a product called bio-oil on your skin to moisturize it. A natual honey is anti-bactieral and should also sooth the area.

Additionally I would suggest you use a gentle cleanser on the area for the next month, while taking a break from the wig (the skin takes about 30 days to return to functioning normal).

The bio-oil should relieve the dryness, and keep you skin supple; hopefully preventing in further hyperpigmentation.

After you skin has normalized, I'd introduce a cream to even out you complexion.

NIN4eva

You need a very, very gentle face cleanser and Hydrocortisone ointment. Not the cream, the ointment. And no make up or perfumed moisturizers on any of the irritated skin. I am the queen of eczema, lol. I hope you get some quick relief!!

Subscribe

Try some aloe vera gel to soothe the irritation. I guess it goes without saying, but stop wearing that wig too. Keep your face clean. I wouldn't suggest vaseline either. I'm assuming it would clog the pores too much since your skin is sensitive right now.

I hope it gets better soon!

Ladely

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been putting cold aloe vera gel on my face since you suggested it. I'm unsure if it's the cold or the aloe Vera but it feels soooooo good.

Subscribe

So sorry to hear about this!

I second that you need to STOP wearing that wig.

What's the point of soaking the hair for two full days in vinegar? Are you sure that all of the vinegar was rinsed out properly ?

Think about how drying it would be to wash your face in vinegar for 3 weeks!

CurliDiva

Thanks for responding.

I thought LHCF 101 was to wash all human hair products on arrival :look:

After soaking it in vinegar, I also soaked her in water for a day before shampooing and conditioning.

Subscribe

Buy an over the counter anti-histamine like allegra. That should hold you until you see your derm. You should take two before bed. One may not be strong enough.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

Thanks for responding.

I'm going to continue w the aloe until tomorrow. If the burning persists I will get the allegra since I'm off on the weekends.

Subscribe

I'd recommend that you use a product called bio-oil on your skin to moisturize it. A natual honey is anti-bactieral and should also sooth the area.

Additionally I would suggest you use a gentle cleanser on the area for the next month, while taking a break from the wig (the skin takes about 30 days to return to functioning normal).

The bio-oil should relieve the dryness, and keep you skin supple; hopefully preventing in further hyperpigmentation.

After you skin has normalized, I'd introduce a cream to even out you complexion.

Ivonnovi

Thank you for responding

Can I purchase bio oil at whole foods?

Holla

Costco sells bio-oil. Two in a package for $19.99.

I use it to moisturize and I love it.

JaneBond007

Hmmm, I'd call my PCP if I couldn't get to the dermatologist. There was most likely some chemical in the hair, maybe formaldehyde? Get your money back, see your doctor. S/he can still prescribe something for your reaction.

HanaKuroi

Sounds Ike an allergy to the dye.

Another poster suggested hydrocortisone and Allegra until you get an appointment.

bklynbornNbred

@CurliDiva

Thanks for responding.

I thought LHCF 101 was to wash all human hair products on arrival :look:

After soaking it in vinegar, I also soaked her in water for a day before shampooing and conditioning.

Yes you should wash but there was no need to soak for two days. I think the hair soaked in the vinegar which then caused this reaction with your skin. I would not wear that wig again.

If you buy another you let it soak for a few minutes just to take off any chemicals that may have been sprayed on the wig then shampoo/wash rinse and style. I think this is a case when too much was too much.

I'd go to urgent care clinic if its an option if the over the counter remedies are not brining you relief.

Subscribe

What kind of hair was it specifically? I mean what exactly does the packaging or website say. You can post the details and our Lhcf-certified-weave experts can help.

Was it to goo to be true? Can you get a human hair wig for $40? I know I'm allergic to synthetic hair but since it said human hair I didn't think twice about it :nono:

bklynbornNbred

Was it to goo to be true? Can you get a human hair wig for $40? I know I'm allergic to synthetic hair but since it said human hair I didn't think twice about it :nono:

for $40 I doubt it was human hair. If you have a known allergy to synthetic hair go to the dr tomorrow.

Subscribe

Yes you should wash but there was no need to soak for two days. I think the hair soaked in the vinegar which then caused this reaction with your skin. I would not wear that wig again.

If you buy another you let it soak for a few minutes just to take off any chemicals that may have been sprayed on the wig then shampoo/wash rinse and style. I think this is a case when too much was too much.

I'd go to urgent care clinic if its an option if the over the counter remedies are not brining you relief.

I've soaked all my human hair for weaving the same way and vie never had a problem :nono: also the plain water soak, shampoo and conditioner wash removes any and all traces.

I truly think it was something on the wig or that it was a human hair blend that caused me to have a reaction. On top of that, since I assumed it was everything else causing the problem, I wore it way too long.

virtuenow

I'm sure it was a human hair blend. Unless it says REMI VIRGIN hair, then it usually is a blend of human and animal (horse) or synthetic hair. The hair is also chemical laden to remove the cuticle, so it's coated in an acid bath solution (difficult to strip off). So yeah, you're allergic to something in or on this hair.

Subscribe

You need a very, very gentle face cleanser and Hydrocortisone ointment. Not the cream, the ointment. And no make up or perfumed moisturizers on any of the irritated skin. I am the queen of eczema, lol. I hope you get some quick relief!!

NIN4eva

Thanks for responding.

On my way to get the ointment.