Will YOU Be Paying $25 For Kimmay's New Book?

pookaloo83

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...17145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=0984518428

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJi9ckqGqo

Anyone curious?

ANSWERS HERE!

Q. Does she mention the whole baking soda issue?
A. She covers pH balance thoroughly. Can't recall if baking soda was singled out, but the chemistry behind pH holds true for everything.

Q. I don't think Ive ever herd you mention protein. What's your opinion on it? 
A. I never mention protein because I focus on preservation. I've never done any heavy protein treatments on my hair. Protein use is usually of great concern for chemically treated hair. Natural hair's protein integrity by default remains intact and is less needed. But there are many variables, diet, wear & tear, over-conditioning, etc. that can make protein beneficial. The book explains it.

Q. does she address using heat and how often it can be used?
A. Yes! Pages 168 - 178 cover how to prepare hair for heat styling, how to properly use heat, how heat affects the protein structure of the hair, how much heat is too much, heat protectants...Wow, there is some good stuff here!

Q. Just wondering, did she address porosity at all?
A. Yes.

Q. Does the book talk about protective styling?
A. Yes! But not as much *emphasis* on it as I would like, personally.

Q. Hello! Does she explain hair loss?
A. If you mean preventing breakage, yes. If you mean scalp issues, or internal disorders that lead to hair loss, no.

Q. does she discuss scalp health? those itchies?
A. lol @ the "itchies". Hmm. No, I don't recall there being a strong focus on scalp issues. Because she stresses a healthy hair care regime (which should) eliminate that problem altogether.

My personal advice? If the itching isn't caused by a scalp disorder, it's most likely excessive dryness (remember the scalp is skin too, it gets ashy!!) Or product build-up on the scalp. A regular weekly washing routine solved my "itchies". :eek:)

Q. does the book talk about trims?
A. Yup! And I loved the way she handled the topic too.

Q.Does she address locs in her book?
A. No, she doesn't. Sorry. I mean, they're mentioned..and I'm sure some of the general info applies (like color treated hair and nutrition) but this is really a loose kinky hair focused book. Loctitians stand up and write your book! ;o)

Q. I've read the book and loved it! Was there anything in the book that you feel she couldve/ shouldve been more in-depth? Mainly hair coloring. I want to dye my hair bad.

A. Audrey covered color hair care in extensive detail, in my opinion. It's not a cosmetology manual tho! :eek:). Um, what would I like to see in the next editions? Well, I'm going to deliver that feedback personally to her.

"Heat training" is kind of taboo and unexplored. I'd love for her to write/research that.

Q. do you know if this is offered on cd?
A. Not to my knowledge. You can find her at www.blackhairscience.com to ask.

Q. Is the book an easy read? Or are there a lot of terminologies and chemistry concepts that the average person will comprehend?

A. I really believe anyone who has finished high school should be able to comprehend this book. It's not like those abstracts you find on Journal of The American Academy of Dermatology.

Q.Is there anything mentioned in the book about how to care for hair lets say if someone were a fitness instructor and basically sweat through out the day everyday?
A. Yes, it covers how you can care for your hair while working out. There is a paragraph with tips on what you can do. In my opinion, someone who sweats a lot will need a very tight hair routine /schedule so that you can have the benefit of fun styled hair days, for events, dates, etc. too.

Keep in mind that well sealed hair will have some protection from the salt from your sweat. Remember that sweat (water) does not cause ordor, BACTERIA does. So if you keep your bacteria levels, leveled, by using scalp friendly pH products, smelly hair won't be an issue. Wear sweatbands and keep your hair out of your face to prevent breakouts!

Q. Does she talk about the evolution of afro-textured hair?
A. Evolution? I'm not sure what you mean. Please give me a little more to work with! :eek:)

Qualitee

No because I already pay $6.50 for LHCF.....and that stuff mentioned is what you can get for free...

Last edited:

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
Isn't the author a LHCF or former LHCF member?

I always loved her posts here, so yeah I may just buy it to support her :yep:

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

Ya. the title of this thread is a little misleading.:giveup:

I'll wait for some used copies to appear. I never pay full price for anything.

AmyRose92

Ummm...Kimmay didn't write the book but she did do a review on it. I don't see why Kimmay reviewing the book would have any bearings on whether or not I would get it, but I might request it at my school's library. Then I'll be able to check it out and read it all I want for free. :D

alive

Ummm...Kimmay didn't write the book but she did do a review on it. I don't see why Kimmay reviewing the book would have any bearings on whether or not I would get it, but I might request it at my school's library. Then I'll be able to check it out and read it all I want for free. :D

:lachen: you're hilarious

youwillrise I think we posted at the same time. thanks for mentioning who the author is

SmileyNY

I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to do the research & produce such a thorough publication about black hair.

We spend so much money on products... fattening the pockets of people who don't care an ounce about the science of black hair. They only see us as dollar signs & will sell us ANYthing.

I'll definitely support this book.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I probably will. It would be convenient to have all of that information in one place, because I'm lazy and don't wanna be searching through Google all day. :lol: Plus, I like to support my cousins any time I can. :yep:

After I read it, I'll probably give it to my mom or sisters to pay it forward. :D

MsLi@512

nope. can't imagine that any earth shatteringly new info will be found in this book. I could be wrong though.:perplexed

Lady S

Nope. I only own two hair related books & I got both of them for half-price bookstore. So, maybe I'd pay $12.50. Maybe. Most likely I'll wait to other people read it and post about it on LHCF. :lol:

pookaloo83

:lol: I didn't watch the video. I just saw her with the book and thought she wrote it. I briefly watched it. Can't really go through 2 minutes of her videos, :lol: I just like to watch with no sound. Ok, my bad on the title, so anyway, will anyone be buying the book?

destine2grow

I will purchase sistaslick book when it is available on the nook. I read her articles in the past and she was the one who taught me about moisture/protein balance. I will purchase it to support her. There is also a thread on here already about her book and ppl that have purchased it.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I bought it after watching Kimmaytube's review. I was on the fence about buying the book because I didn't know what was in it or the background of the author. The author is a member here but I didn't know she was a scientist so once I heard that I made my way to Amazon to make my purchase. I bought it because I wanted to know what the real facts are about hair from a informed scientific perspective and not hearsay or opinion. The fact that she is black woman writing about black hair is icing on the cake to me because like Kimmaytube says our hair is too often ignored.