• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

Winter Hair Care Routines

maryj1584

New Member
hey everyone,

Winter is comming, and I was wondering what you do to your hair during winter. I think that I would prefare to wear my hair out this winter, braids and weaves dont do well with me usually. So....

What do you change in your routines to keep hair more moisturized longer?

What do you add to your hair when wearing it down in the colder months?

Thanks for your input :)
 

Lucia

Well-Known Member
Im wearing a braided weave, I misting with scurl since I cant CW,baggie, MTG and vits of course.
 

Healthb4Length

New Member
I be braiding it up this winter and using sta-sof-fro mixed with mtg and some essential oils as my braid spray. When I'm out of braids I will be using shea butter, avocado and mango butters and coconut oils as my moisturizers...they really are important for my hair in the winter time. I recalled last year or maybe 2 years ago there was a thread about having a humidifier, it helped remoisturized the air in your environment and helps keeps hair from drying out. I will be investing in one this winter.
 

Kalani

Well-Known Member
I live in Florida so the winters, in terms of cold and dry air, are pretty short lived.
For that short period of time though, I find rollersets to be pretty effective. After a rollerset my hair can last a week without me having to do much to it as far as styling. Usually I'll add a touch of oil to the roots and ends (Akiva fiwi oil is my current fav.) each day.
I 'll also increase my use of moisturizing hair masks.
 

billyne

Active Member
i keep my hair in 2 strand twists with a mixture i make of shea butter , olive oil, and veggie glycerin....i love winter ( i'm in michigan). i wear alot of silk scarves and hats when i'm outside.
 

maryj1584

New Member
Thanks for the responces. So I think a rollerset in the winter would be pretty effective. Do you deep condition longer? what kinds of prepoos are most effective in keeping hair moist?
 

Lucia

Well-Known Member
jadedcynicism said:
i'll still be wearing sew-ins when winter arrives. heck, i'll be wearing sew-ins till 2010. :lol:
Rock on you got to do what you got to do right.
 

Mestiza

New Member
  • moisturize my hair more often
  • make certain not to go outside w/ wet hair...I don't want to get sick. :ill:
  • use thicker moisturizers and oils
 

maryj1584

New Member
Mestiza said:
  • moisturize my hair more often
  • make certain not to go outside w/ wet hair...I don't want to get sick. :ill:
  • use thicker moisturizers and oils

Hey Mestiza,
what thicker moisturizers and oils are you using for your hair?
thanks
 

tenderheaded

Well-Known Member
I spritz my hair with warm water, then apply mango butter or breakfree. When I wear my hair out, I do a braid out and follow the same routine. I'm relaxed 4a/4b.
 

lisajames96

Active Member
Actually winter is when I wear my hair out more often. Don't know about this winter(feeling lazy), but in the past, all I did was NOT use any products containing petroluem, alcohol, or waxes(that I knew of). Other than that I stayed on the same wash schedule, and used the same products.

-lisa
 

Mestiza

New Member
maryj1584 said:
Hey Mestiza,
what thicker moisturizers and oils are you using for your hair?
thanks

Hi Maryj1584! :wave: I'll be using Generic Humectress, Shea Butter and Castor Oil, more often.
 

Lady_Lioness

New Member
What do you change in your routines to keep hair more moisturized longer? Well i love to co-wash, but unfourtunately, during the winter i can't do that, so the way I would moisturize my hair during the winter months is by using NTM silk-touch leave in or wave nouveau all over my hair shaft and ends and pull my hair back in a ponytail with my ends tucked away.

What do you add to your hair when wearing it down in the colder months?
I refuse to wear my hair down during the winter...here in new york city it gets really really cold...and if my hair were to be out through all the cold and sometimes snowy weather...I would end up with a head full of dry, brittle mess.
 

Jewell

New Member
I love the simplicity of just shampooing and conditioning once a week so that I don't have to mess with my hair too much, but my scalp is dry and itchy by that time. So, I think I will resume CO washes maybe twice a week and reserve my major shampoo/deep condition day for Saturdays. Other than that, resume CO washes in the evenings so my hair will be mostly dry by the morning and I won't have to go out with damp hair, continue protective styling. I do weekly hot oil treatments, so I will keep doing those.
 

CurliDiva

Well-Known Member
I got an IDEA while browsing in my favorite second hand store yesterday!

Since hair can get caught and break rubbing against winter fabrics, I plan to buy a few cheap silk blouses and create silk dickeys)that I can wear under my sweaters but over the collar – so that my hair only touches the silk material.:)
 

maryj1584

New Member
That is a great idea, but I am still too afraid to wear my hair down in the winter cause of cold air drying it up. I am wearing it down for this week but moisturizing like 2-3 times a day. My bro thinks I am obsessd :p
 

Naijaqueen

New Member
Bun bun bun
I'm so worried when I wear it down
I've my little bottle I carry in my purse to keep it moisturized
If I can make it with minimal breakage, I'll be fine.
 

Elizabeth26

Member
maryj1584 said:
hey everyone,

Winter is comming, and I was wondering what you do to your hair during winter. I think that I would prefare to wear my hair out this winter, braids and weaves dont do well with me usually. So....

What do you change in your routines to keep hair more moisturized longer?

What do you add to your hair when wearing it down in the colder months?

Thanks for your input :)
This was a good question because I was thinking about asking the same thing. In georgia, our weather goes up and down sometimes its cold sometimes it's hot. I guess I will continue to do protective styles.
 

Twisties

New Member
This is my winter plan (hope I can get at least an inch, since my hair grows very slow) - modified Crown and Glory Technique from www.growafrohairlong.com/.

-Wear Braids (singles/individuals) – done at African Gallery shop with extensions on 11/9/05

-Wash once a week (or more if needed) using Nioxin or Nizoral Shampoos alternately (Note: installing shower filter soon and I hope it clears up eczema and softens hair and skin)

-Condition hair with Nioxin Scalp Therapy after each wash

-Oil scalp very, very lightly with Vaseline (yes, Vaseline-long story) and massage gently

-Apply leave-in moisturizer and strengthener to braids and hair only, not my scalp (Infusium 23, Carefree Curl Activator, Better Braids Spray, or IC PM Oil by Fantasia)

Take braids down on February 11, 2006. Will wear wig for protection during conditioning period.

Complete 2 Weeks of Deep Conditioning
Twice per week: Wash hair, deep condition with either Hair by Nutress, Nixon Strength and Structure, Fantasia IC Deep Moisture Conditioner or any other good deep conditioner in my stash.

Re-braid my hair on February 25 and Repeat process above thru May 20, 2006. (Will try American shop this time- the African gallery did a few spots too tight and I had to steam to loosen them).


Vitamins:
Centrum Multi
Hair and Nails Vitamin
Liquid B-Complex
Flax Seed Oil
 
Last edited:

morehairplease

Well-Known Member
Mestiza said:
Hi Maryj1584! :wave: I'll be using Generic Humectress, Shea Butter and Castor Oil, more often.

Mestiza,

If you don't mind me asking how do you like the Generic humectress? Also, if you have ever tried the Nexxus humectress could you compare the two for me?
thanks in advance
 

morehairplease

Well-Known Member
CurliDiva said:
I got an IDEA while browsing in my favorite second hand store yesterday!

Since hair can get caught and break rubbing against winter fabrics, I plan to buy a few cheap silk blouses and create silk dickeys)that I can wear under my sweaters but over the collar – so that my hair only touches the silk material.:)



this is a GREAT idea CurlDiva!
 
Last night I put the Panten pro-v relaxed and natural moisturizer all over my scalp (verygenerously) and then I slept with a shower cap on my head. i haven't taken it off yet, but my hair feels very moist.
 

morehairplease

Well-Known Member
dtachi said:
I live in Florida so the winters, in terms of cold and dry air, are pretty short lived.
For that short period of time though, I find rollersets to be pretty effective. After a rollerset my hair can last a week without me having to do much to it as far as styling. Usually I'll add a touch of oil to the roots and ends (Akiva fiwi oil is my current fav.) each day.
I 'll also increase my use of moisturizing hair masks.

hi dtachi,

could you give me some examples of this?
thanks in advance
 
Lady_Lioness said:
I refuse to wear my hair down during the winter...here in new york city it gets really really cold...and if my hair were to be out through all the cold and sometimes snowy weather...I would end up with a head full of dry, brittle mess.
[/color]


Say AMEN, Say AMEN!! -- NY Winters are brutal. When I go home, I will do the same.
 

Victorian

old head
My routine is basically the same, but I've been using more of my jojoba oil than coconut oil because it seems to protect my hair better. My hair dries pretty fast in the house because the heater is on all the time, so I'm still washing in the morning. I use a little bit more leave-in than I was using in the warmer months. So far so good.
 

maryj1584

New Member
that is great, bcardinal, I think that I am getting really lazy w/ my hair so I am just going to keep it in a baggy
 
Top