Can I Ask you Ladies Some Questions ?

JC-Junkie

Hello ladies !! Because It's winter I wanna be prepared for the colder months :yep: This will be my first winter with my natural hair. So question one is how do you ladies stretch your hair to avoid your hair tangling, and then afterwards put it in a bun ? I was thinking to wash my hair in the evening, detangle, and put into 6-8 jumbo twists/ braids to let dry to about 60% and then unravel the twists/ braids and put into a bun. Do you think that's okay ? How do you ladies do it?
My second question is when you ladies straighten your hair how do you moisturize it because natural hair will just revert. So what do you use to moisturize your hair when it's straight ? Do you use oils like EVOO or EVCO ? Or butters ? I'm thinking to straighten my hair during the winter months so I could do with some help :)
Last question what other styles do you wear during the cold days? Do you still wear twistouts ?

ETA: What are your straightening routines and what products do you use?

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!

Last edited:

lalla

I stretch my hair by twisting or braiding it after my weekly DC. I do 10to 12 twists and let them dry completely before unraveling. I think you could let it dry a bit more, 80% maybe, then bun.

I can't answer your other question because I do'nt straighten my hair often enough.

In winter, I still wear braids, twist outs and buns.

HTH

FroFab

Hello ladies !! Because It's winter I wanna be prepared for the colder months :yep: This will be my first winter with my natural hair. So question one is how do you ladies stretch your hair to avoid your hair tangling, and then afterwards put it in a bun ? I airdry in braids or put in one or two banded ponytails. I was thinking to wash my hair in the evening, detangle, and put into 6-8 jumbo twists/ braids to let dry to about 60% and then unravel the twists/ braids and put into a bun. This sounds ok, but I'm not big on manipulating my hair damp once its in the airdry twists/braids unless I'm doing actual smaller twists. My hair is gets very frizzy with manipulation. Do you think that's okay ? How do you ladies do it?
My second question is when you ladies straighten your hair how do you moisturize it because natural hair will just revert. So what do you use to moisturize your hair when it's straight ? Do you use oils like EVOO or EVCO ? Or butters ? I'm thinking to straighten my hair during the winter months so I could do with some help :) WestNDNbeauty has some threads about properly dc'ing before straightening in order to achieve optimal results. I would think that if you properly dc'ed before straightening then all you would need to do is seal with an oil or butter to keep the moisture in...otherwise yes, it is my believe that a water-based moisturizer may cause reversion.
Last question what other styles do you wear during the cold days? Do you still wear twistouts ? I've never been a big fan of twistouts (they look great but I can't get second day hair) so I normally keep my hair twisted or braided. I'm sure you could still wear TOs if you wanted but I'd be careful to moisturize, seal, and watch those ends rubbing on your scarf/coat etc.

ETA: What are your straightening routines and what products do you use? I don't straighten often but I am thinking that I'll blowdry more this winter. I don't have hard and fast products yet but my typical routine consists of DCing, rinsing and applying reg. conditioner, applying leave-in, applying heat protectant, blowdrying, sealing in moisture. If my hair needs it I shampoo before DCing and if I want a straighter look I flat iron after the blowdrying but before the moisture seal.

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!

Hope this helps.

FebeeSigns

So question one is how do you ladies stretch your hair to avoid your hair tangling, and then afterwards put it in a bun ?

I stretch my hair by banding. If I band my hair I have absolutely no shrinkage and it is way easy to put into a bun. if I try and stretch with twists and braids and then trying to put those bouncy coils into a bun, i have trouble. I can't answer the second question because I don't straighten.

Nonie

OP, sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question. Why do you guys only partly dry your hair (60% or 80%) before you bun? I'm yet to wear buns coz my hair just has never been long enough for them...but I think I would dry my hair completely while stretched. Undoing wet/damp hair to me is just a recipe for knots and tangles. So that's the answer to the first question, I'd plait it to stretch it and then bun in the stretched state. Since I would wash in plaits, I imagine I'd airdry bare hair and moisturize once it was fully dry.

When I straighten hair, I focus on moisturizing during DCing and then I've heard the Wet-to-Dry step also moisturizes. After I seal with a serum, I just don't moisturize again. I trust that the serum keeps my hair from losing any moisture it has. I have never gone more than a week with straight hair coz I get bored...and I am not one of those people who moisturizes hair daily so a week w/o moisturizing would not make the earth stop spinning in my world. A lot of people use coconut oil...which is what I'd use if I didn't use a serum. Castor Oil is just too thick and sticky for my liking and EVOO made my hair hard when I tried to use it years ago so I don't use it on my hair. Coconut used to be a popular moisturizer when I was growing up...so I do know it doesn't make my hair hard. But because I used a serum, it'd be kinda dense to use it since it'd not be able to penetrate that seal to get to my hair. I'd end up with an oily mess that was doing zilch to my hair.

I spend most of my life in braids or twists so I just style them as I feel like. I do wear hats and wraps a lot too with a baggy under so winter time is my time to be uber lazy with my hair (As if I'm ever active :lachen: ).

I explain my straighten technique in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread373651.html#post8024273

JC-Junkie

So ladies after you have stretched your hair, do you brush your hair into a bun, or do you use your fingers to put into a bun? How do slick it back? Everytime I try to completely dry my hair the parting from the twists can still be seen, and also it's fluffy at the front, do you put gel on the front ? Oh and do you still get the waaaaaves ?

TIA Ladies !!

Nonie

I would use a comb the same way I use it to make a puff and use my hands to smooth back and make a pony first.

lalla

So ladies after you have stretched your hair, do you brush your hair into a bun, or do you use your fingers to put into a bun? How do slick it back? Everytime I try to completely dry my hair the parting from the twists can still be seen, and also it's fluffy at the front, do you put gel on the front ? Oh and do you still get the waaaaaves ?

TIA Ladies !!

I only use a brush once during my wash day and that's when I detangle after a DC. I use my fingers to stretch and smooth the hair in the front before putting it in a bun ( I have many pics of bun done on twistouts in my album).

It's not fluffy at the front, it's wavy. So I still get the waves but they're bigger than when I do a bun on wet hair.

I rarely use gel.

Nonie

The last time I combed my hair into a puff I used one of those metal picks with a fist hand. I've since moved onto seamless combs and I use one with teeth with about the same spacing as that pick:

I've never used a Denman; brushes scare me. :lol:

JC-Junkie

Ladies can I ask another question ?? How do you ladies do your twistouts ? I tried to do one and it turned out awful !!!! Also can I do a twistout and still be able to keep my natural curls at the same time ?

JC-Junkie

Ladies can I ask another question ?? How do you ladies do your twistouts ? I tried to do one and it turned out awful !!!! Also can I do a twistout and still be able to keep my natural curls at the same time ?

Bumping ..................