winter moisturizing reggie

girlcherokee

hey ladies,
i have been moisturizing my hair lately with glycerine, aloe and a little bit of aubrey org honeysuckle rose mixed in, and then sealing with castor oil hair treatment with mink oil by hollywood beauty. i usually seal with vatika, but i get lazy with having to heat it in the winter time. here is my question,i am not liking the results(hair not properly moisturized, feels like straw but looks good) with the above combo and i was wondering what the culprit might be. i was thinking of going back to sealing with vatika, but i thought i remember seeing something about glycerine not being good to use in the winter time but i cant find the thread. any thoughts ladies? is it the glycerine i should change? i should say that i have very dry forced hot air heat in my house too so it tends to dry out our skin as well. any suggestions?

ackee walk

for me, glycerin helps to keep my hair moisturized for the first several days and then it starts to dry it out something fierce. i think someone created a thread some time ago about how glycerin may dry out your hair after a while. if i can find it, i'll bump it. how about adding some distilled water or rose water to your moisturizing concoction and decreasing the amt. of glycerin?

also-- as for your house having a lot of dry heat. i've been there. up your DC'ing game and get a humidifier. my humidifier worked wonders for my hair, skin and sinuses.

girlcherokee

ackee,
you are right about the humidifier. think i will have to work on that. i was thinking about adding water, but then i would have to refrigerate the mix right? i am trying to avoid having to refrigerate the mixture if i can.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I am having a winter hair issue too. I too have products w/ glycerin or I've added myself. 2 responders told me glycerin may be the culprit. Since its cold, there is no moisture in the air for the glycerin to draw from so it can have a drying effect. If there wasn't a blizzard outside, I would go to the BSS and find a new daily leave-in conditioner that has no glycerin.

unalteredone

i think that the deal with glycerin is that it works better in the summer/humidity because it attracts moisture and if there is not enough moisture in the air around your hair then it will rob your hair of moisture instead. So I think that replacing glycerin would be a good idea in the colder months.

girlcherokee

thanks unalteredone,
now i just need to figure out what to replace it with. maybe just something store bought till i figure this out? any suggestions?

PreciousPearl

There was a similiar thread earlier about this subject. Here's a quote from Pokahontas:

Taken from an article on Naturallycurly.com*......

Low Humidity
In extremely low-humidity conditions, such as a cold, dry winter air, there is no appreciable amount of water in the air for the humectant to attract to the surface of the hair. In this particular type of climate, the best one can hope for with most traditional humectants is for them to prevent evaporation of water from the hair into the environment. Also, under these circumstances, there is some risk of the humectant actually removing moisture from the cortex of the hair itself, creating the problem it was intended to prevent.

That’s why in dry climates it is important to use conditioning products which rely on strong moisturizers rather than traditional humectants. However, it is interesting to note that new humectants are being developed that perform well even in low humidity (such as hydroxypropyl bis-hydroxyethyldimonium chloride and dihydroxypropyltrimonium chloride

Here's the whole article.....http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...tants-and-hair

I live in a low humidity harsh winter climate and started having dry hair issues a few months ago. I stopped using products with glycerine and my hair returned to normal.

HTH

Last edited:

ackee walk

yeah, girl. you'd have to either refrigerate it or add in something to preserve it. when you mix up your own stuff, it starts to get tricky.

i would suggest buying something from the bss that is not humectant heavy seeing as how they can be drying in this weather. you'll have to find what works best for your hair but i have used giovanni direct leave in with good results. i also have been simply allowing my hair to get damp in the shower and then sealing with a mixture of camelia oil and castor oil when i get out to lock in the moisture.

also, i did not find the original thread i mentioned earlier but pokahontas just posted a useful article in another active thread. here is a link to the article she posted: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...tants-and-hair

ackee,
you are right about the humidifier. think i will have to work on that. i was thinking about adding water, but then i would have to refrigerate the mix right? i am trying to avoid having to refrigerate the mixture if i can.

ackee walk

lol i see preciouspearl is on it! cherokia, check out that article. i hope you solve your dryness woes soon :)