What's the deal about winter !?

Krystle~Hime

Hello,
I would like to know how to winterizing my regimen? Do I have to decrease my washing frequency(like from once to week to once every two week?)
Is there any kind of products to not use in winter? I've heard about people saying to not use glycerine due to dry air humidity. It's okay cause i don't like glycerine but what about others humectants?
Please gimme some tips, and it will also helps some others people who dunno like me how to deal with winter.
I'm a little(very) afraid, because last winter I have not retain length :( due to no properly care.

Thanks in Advance !!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
You don't have to decrease how often you wash your hair. In fact you may want to deep condition your hair more often, or you may want to try a more intensive moisture treatment to combat winter dryness. If you have a steamer or a way to steam your hair, then that would be a good option too.

With moisturizers, it's usually best to avoid the ones heavy in humectants because winter air tends to be dry. When the air is dry, a humectant will suck the moisture from your hair, because there is no moisture in the air. Then your hair will be crunchy and it will break off. If you need extra moisture, then try baggying and then sealing the moisture in with a vegetable butter or a heavier oil.

If you've been using coconut oil straight on your hair, then on colder days, you may want to not do that or try blending it with another oil. Coconut oil gets hard in cold temperature, and while your hair probably won't suffer health-wise, it won't be aesthetically pleasing. And it will feel weird. It's still fine to mix it in your deep conditioners and stuff, but you just don't want to use it straight on your head and then go outside.

If you've been co-washing and leaving home with wet or even damp hair, then you may want to stop that. Or cowash at night and make sure that your hair is dry before you leave home the next day. If not, your hair can freeze if it's cold enough, and you will get sick.

As much as possible, protect your hair. Especially the ends, which tend to lose moisture fastest. You can try wigs/half wigs, braids, buns, or other protective styles. Or wear hats or some other kind of soft head covering. But at the same time, try to have fun. Winter can be a great time to use heat on the hair (especially for naturals), because the styles hold for longer without heat/humidity and sweat to ruin them. Just don't get too carried away and ruin your progress.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to use a humidifier when you're in an indoor setting. Sometimes, people go inside and think everything is gravy because the wind isn't blowing and it's not cold. But with the heater being on and the air being dry, indoors can be kind of hazardous to your hair too. So just make sure to have some kind of humidifier running at home, and at work, if possible. It doesn't have to be like a tropical jungle in your house, but there should be a little bit of moisture in the air. It also benefits your skin and your respiratory system, so yay.

ETA: And try to eat well, drink water, and exercise. It gives your body all the proper nutrients, hydrates your cells, and gives your immune system a boost. If you aren't sick, then your body can focus attention on your hair, skin, and nails and not so much on keeping you alive. Also, if you aren't sick, you'll have more energy to properly care for your hair. That's kind of for year round, but I just thought I'd mention it, because it's especially important in the winter, when people are like sick everywhere.

Ummm...that's all I can think of. Basically keep your hair moisturized and protected, and you and your hair should get through winter okay.
Hope that was helpful!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
If you live in a colder climate, the Air Is Drier and the Wind is more Harsh, the Workplace has dry heat, therefore, you want to take the necessary precautions to retain and maintain your Hair.

Last Year was my first Winter being a DIY and a LHCF'er. I didn't change my regimen, but I prolly used more butters, oils, & creams.:lick:

I also wore a Wig which was a Great Hat & PS. Kept my Head Warm and My Hair always looked freshly coiffed.:look:

I pulled out my Mastex Heat Cap and did a couple of HOTs (Hot Oil Treatments). And Steamed weekly.

I continued to Co-Wash, use a Weekly Reconstructor, kept Protein/Moisture Balanced and watched my porosity.

My Regimen stayed the exact same, I just incorporated different products into the mix as the weather dipped.

HTHs:yep:

Krystle~Hime

ChaosButterfly, this was so informative, and making me clear !!!!! thanks for all !!
I don't do cowashing, I don't like coconut oil(the smell.. everything about it lol) so for these it's okay.
about humectant, does this mean I have to not put some in my water-based moisturizer bottle? is it okay to do this ?

If you live in a colder climate, the Air Is Drier and the Wind is more Harsh, the Workplace has dry heat, therefore, you want to take the necessary precautions to retain and maintain your Hair.

Last Year was my first Winter being a DIY and a LHCF'er. I didn't change my regimen, but I prolly used more butters, oils, & creams.:lick:

Yeah I also have a heat cap ! I like it, steamers are too much expensive for me.
and my heat cap only costs me 10€
I also wore a Wig which was a Great Hat & PS. Kept my Head Warm and My Hair always looked freshly coiffed.:look:

I pulled out my Mastex Heat Cap and did a couple of HOTs (Hot Oil Treatments). And Steamed weekly.

I continued to Co-Wash, use a Weekly Reconstructor, kept Protein/Moisture Balanced and watched my porosity.

My Regimen stayed the exact same, I just incorporated different products into the mix as the weather dipped.

HTHs:yep:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
ChaosButterfly, this was so informative, and making me clear !!!!! thanks for all !!
I don't do cowashing, I don't like coconut oil(the smell.. everything about it lol) so for these it's okay.
about humectant, does this mean I have to not put some in my water-based moisturizer bottle? is it okay to do this ?

No problem! I'm glad I could help.
About the humectant, I would recommend not putting it in your moisturizer bottle, just because even mixed with something else, it can still dry out your hair.
Have you tried substituting the humectant with rosewater or aloe vera juice? Those can make the mixture more moisturizing without causing the problems that humectants can.

preciouslove0x

^^^^ glycerin and honey are the main two humectants

ETA: humectants can draw moisture from your hair when the air is dry. when its humid outside, humectants will draw moisture TO your hair

Krystle~Hime

No problem! I'm glad I could help.
About the humectant, I would recommend not putting it in your moisturizer bottle, just because even mixed with something else, it can still dry out your hair.
Have you tried substituting the humectant with rosewater or aloe vera juice? Those can make the mixture more moisturizing without causing the problems that humectants can.
yeah i use aloe vera gel I luv it !! thank you so much !

what do you think about my regimen : an hot oil treatment with heat cap. once a week.
once a month : light protein treatment with heat cap
once a day : spritz moistuzing my hair with a non-humectant moisturizer.
wearing an half-wig. i think it will hurt if I wear some hair out(snow, wind, very cold weather in Europe)

JJamiah

Can you clarify what exactly humectants are? Which products have humectants in them?
Humectants you might find in your skin and hair care products:

• Glycerin
• Panthenol/ vitamin B5
• Honey
• Sorbitol
• Glycol
• Dipropylene glycol
• Ammonium lactate
• Propylene glycerol
• Polyethylene glycols
• Glyceryl Triacetate
• Sodium Pyrollidone Carboxylic Acid (Sodium PCA)
• Butylene Glycol
• Hyaluronic Acid
• Urea

Imani

I had planned on using my African Royale Braid Spray all winter. But glycerin is one of its main ingredients. Now what?:wallbash:

teacherjess

I have become a long term stretcher (relax every 6 mos) and this spring/ summer have relied heavily on using S- Curl or Hawaiian Silky to moisturize my roots. So....am I hearing that for the winter when I stretch I need to discontinue these products and use something like rosewater & aloe vera juice to soften roots? My NG gets a dry, tangled, matted mess without some sort of daily juicing once I reach 8 weeks post. I've never used aloe juice before. Does it leave hair sticky? Please respond! TIA

Krystle~Hime

I have become a long term stretcher (relax every 6 mos) and this spring/ summer have relied heavily on using S- Curl or Hawaiian Silky to moisturize my roots. So....am I hearing that for the winter when I stretch I need to discontinue these products and use something like rosewater & aloe vera juice to soften roots? My NG gets a dry, tangled, matted mess without some sort of daily juicing once I reach 8 weeks post. I've never used aloe juice before. Does it leave hair sticky? Please respond! TIA

I luv aloe vera juice/gel.
It makes my skin and hair very soft. totally not leave hair greasy or sticky.

chebaby

last winter w had a really bad snow storm. it was freezing and i still co washed daily and didnt get sick and my hair didnt suffer.
but i made sure to deep condition twice a week, use plenty of shea butter and heavy creams like qhemet heavy cream and sunshine from peaceloveandsunshine.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
^^^^ brrrrr weren't you cold?? I would be so cold.... wet hair all the time.... brrrr I want to wear hats to bed in the winter.... and never take off my long johns.... if I could shower in them I would.

lovelexi

Wow thanks for the tip on coconut oil. It has been my staple for sealing but when its colder i'll have to sub in another oil. This winter I plan to wear to always wear a hat (satin lined of course) outside and maybe even wear it as an accessory so that I can protect my hair from the cold and wind..

Whimsy

I don't change too much in the winter except washing less and no wash n gos.
When outdoors I wear a hat with my satin scarf underneath.
I do tend to wear my hair straight more often in the winter, but this winter I'm trying to do more twists and braidouts instead of straightening, and hopefully figure a way to deal with the inevitable hat-hair.

Vonnieluvs08

Last winter was my 1st as a natural and I was able to retain every inch because of good techniques and products.

My hair stayed in twists during the week. When I would put them in I would use a light leave in all over then a heavier cream like one (BRBC, etc) then seal with a butter (handmade or vendor). I would moisturize daily or twice daily if I remembered. I would do a good DC every week, twice if I had time. I also use more protein in the winter to help my hair retain moisture better. Remember to find the good balance for your hair.

When my hair started to touch my shoulders I would make sure to pull it up. The friction on the sweaters, scarves, wool materials can mess up your ends. I would use a satin/silk scarf over my wool coats and under my hats.

It is really about using winter friendly products and protecting your hair from the dryness and friction. HTH!

bimtheduck

WOW, thanks. I only knew about honey and gylcerin. You're always a wealth of knowledge.

Humectants you might find in your skin and hair care products:

• Glycerin
• Panthenol/ vitamin B5
• Honey
• Sorbitol
• Glycol
• Dipropylene glycol
• Ammonium lactate
• Propylene glycerol
• Polyethylene glycols
• Glyceryl Triacetate
• Sodium Pyrollidone Carboxylic Acid (Sodium PCA)
• Butylene Glycol
• Hyaluronic Acid
• Urea

Krystle~Hime

Last winter was my 1st as a natural and I was able to retain every inch because of good techniques and products.

My hair stayed in twists during the week. When I would put them in I would use a light leave in all over then a heavier cream like one (BRBC, etc) then seal with a butter (handmade or vendor). I would moisturize daily or twice daily if I remembered. I would do a good DC every week, twice if I had time. I also use more protein in the winter to help my hair retain moisture better. Remember to find the good balance for your hair.

When my hair started to touch my shoulders I would make sure to pull it up. The friction on the sweaters, scarves, wool materials can mess up your ends. I would use a satin/silk scarf over my wool coats and under my hats.

It is really about using winter friendly products and protecting your hair from the dryness and friction. HTH!

thank you :)

Krystle~Hime

MMMhh.. i'm just thinkinkg about something ..
so no humectants because of the dry air humidity but..isn't in summer that there is less humidity in hair? I mean, during summer it's so hot and dry
and during winter it's snowing(which is solid water, winding and raining a lot..... mmmh nah? so what about the logic of "no humectant in winter due to dry air humidity"?
maybe i've missed something :s

lovelexi

MMMhh.. i'm just thinkinkg about something ..
so no humectants because of the dry air humidity but..isn't in summer that there is less humidity in hair? I mean, during summer it's so hot and dry
and during winter it's snowing(which is solid water, winding and raining a lot..... mmmh nah? so what about the logic of "no humectant in winter due to dry air humidity"?
maybe i've missed something :s
I guess it depends on where you live. Our summers are def not hot and dry.