Wirey Hair Ladies, your styling products?

Queenie

Okay, for those few of you out there with stands of hair that are very thick. I very rarely see black people with hair like this mostly Asian and Latin. I am neither by the way.

What styling products do you use? I noticed that most styling products out there are not strong enough for my hair. I'd hate buying something that my hair laughs out.

ccd

Styling products that do what exactly?

I don't know if my hair is wirey but I know what you mean about products that laugh at you as if to say " whatchu takin' 'bout"

What are you trying to achieve?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is most definately wirey and very coarse. Each strand it significantly thicker than most people I've met, although I only have medium density.
I have to really slather oils and conditioners on my hair to make my hair shine and stay healthy. Pure olive oil directly after washing is my favourite.
The good thing about coarse hair is that it really stays wavy/straight if I let it dry in 2 braids or twists. Whereas my friends hair reverts instantly, even after a 20 minute nap her hair will be bouncy and curly agaitn.
The downside is that it will never be as soft to the touch as fine hair.

Last edited:

Queenie

ccd said:
Styling products that do what exactly?

I don't know if my hair is wirey but I know what you mean about products that laugh at you as if to say " whatchu takin' 'bout"

What are you trying to achieve?
I want just like to know of products and product lines that work actually work on this type of hair. You know gels, frizz reducing, straightening balms, etc. I'd like to be able to do a variety of styles instead of one or two.

Queenie

FlowerHair said:
I have to really slather oils and conditioners on my hair to make my hair shine and stay healthy. Pure olive oil directly after washing is my favourite.
The good thing about coarse hair is that it really stays wavy/straight if I let it dry in 2 braids or twists. The downside is that it will never be as soft to the touch as fine hair.
I do the same with styles. I'm just sick of my twist out. My hair takes many hours to dry, so bantu knot outs are a disaster.

Try coconut oil to soften your hair a little more. It has done wonders for me, I use it everyday. Also I wet my hair everyday. That helps with softness too. Otherwise, I get pretty stiff.

ccd

OK. Since you are texturized I guess you have alot of curl so creating them wouldn't be a problem but I thought I'd mention what I use in general...and for what then you can decide what sounds interesting (if anything)for you. For me ( and my relaxed head) I have waves at my ends which increase as the weeks go by, so I need to do different things @different times.

For Styling:

Gels:
Loreal abolute wet gel ( for wash n' gos)
Smooth n'Shine Conditioning gel ( for edges after 6 weeks but up to 10)
Ampro Curl Wax (for edges after 10 weeks)

Curly Friends curl enhancer is nice to create more ripples..its a spray I have, but I also find that now I have World of Curls ( found it after reading about it here) for dry hair works very well and keeps my hair moistured all day. So instead of just spraying a light curl enhancer I use WOC first then put my gel to hold.

For Rollersetting:
I use Rusk Smoother, Lacio at the ends and sometimes a serum all over my wet hair, Fantasia IC works for me

Daily Mositurizers include:

Mizani Shyne ( early after relaxing I find this helps keep moisture but not weigh hair down)

Keracare Glossifier (1-7post relax)
Hollywood Castor Oil (1-7 post relax)
Pure Carrot Oil, Coconut or Macademia Nut (used seperately and after 6weeks)
HTH

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My hair isn't very thick. I have fine-stranded wiry hair. Citre Shine Gel works for me. :yep:

Queenie

Poohbear said:
My hair isn't very thick. I have fine-stranded wiry hair. Citre Shine Gel works for me. :yep:
The term "wirey hair" refers to those with strands of hair that are very thick and look more like a very thin wire than hair. Like most Asian's hair.