Who's Up For a Challenge? Read one chapter a day in the book of Proverbs.....

Reminiscing

I'm behind! :blush:

Here's the verse that stood out to me from Ch 20:

22 Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!"
Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.

Lord knows there's someone who has done me SO WRONG, but in this season I believe the Lord is showing me how to forgive him (even though this person doesn't even think he's done anything wrong) and watch HIM handle it. As my best friend told me right after the worst incident "let your Father handle it."

I am waiting on the Lord, and confident that vengeance is His, and He will execute it in His perfect timing. :grin: Oh, I guess I shouldn't be gloating. :look: In my defense I am praying for forgiveness every day.

Butterfly- I completely understand you on this. Sometimes our enemies fight us so hard that when God steps in and we become victorious how can we NOT smile? It's hard not to want to see that person suffer as much as we did. I can't lie there have been a few times when I sat back and smiled when my enemies fell, even got a good laugh in too :lachen:, but the Word speaks against it in Chapter 24...

17 Don’t rejoice when your enemies fall;
don’t be happy when they stumble.
18 For the Lord will be displeased with you
and will turn his anger away from them.

Verse 18 is what we need to remember. We don't want to lose our blessing because we failed to remain humble. I would hate for God to turn the anger that he had for my enemies onto me. :nono: That is not a good look! I think it's ok for us to be relieved and feel victorious that we have won the battle but we'll have to keep the gloating to a minimum. :yep: The most I do nowadays is just shake my head and say my favorite line "God don't like ugly" then I keep it moving.

JinaRicci

Proverbs 24: 33, 34.

v33 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:

v34 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.

Aha! Cure for any of my laziness... :lol:

Seriously, I think we can apply these verses to anything- especially 'sleeping' instead of studying the Word and just missing opportunities to talk with God. The poverty that will come will strip you of everything- could be your priceless salvation.

I'm taking this one to heart.

Butterfly08

Butterfly- I completely understand you on this. Sometimes our enemies fight us so hard that when God steps in and we become victorious how can we NOT smile? It's hard not to want to see that person suffer as much as we did. I can't lie there have been a few times when I sat back and smiled when my enemies fell, even got a good laugh in too :lachen:, but the Word speaks against it in Chapter 24...

17 Don’t rejoice when your enemies fall;
don’t be happy when they stumble.
18 For the Lord will be displeased with you
and will turn his anger away from them.

Verse 18 is what we need to remember. We don't want to lose our blessing because we failed to remain humble. I would hate for God to turn the anger that he had for my enemies onto me. :nono: That is not a good look! I think it's ok for us to be relieved and feel victorious that we have won the battle but we'll have to keep the gloating to a minimum. :yep: The most I do nowadays is just shake my head and say my favorite line "God don't like ugly" then I keep it moving.

Thank you - I knew there was a warning against gloating but couldn't remember the verse. Truth be told, as terrible as this person is, I don't wish him harm, I just wish he'd stop tormenting me! :wallbash::wallbash: Unfortunately circumstances have us bound together....for a time. Trusting and believing in God for deliverance, and I'm committing now to continue praying for him. :ohwell: I don't want to, but I know that God wants me to. :yep:

Amen Sis. I'm praying for you. I truly understand how you feel :yep:.

Remember what happened to Joseph!?! He was envied and sold into slavery by his own brothers, lied on by Potiphar's wife, and innocently sent to prison. Yet, the bible states after every incident "But the Lord was with him."

So I'm saying to you Butterfly08 "But the Lord is with you." Like Joseph, what the enemy meant for evil, the Lord will turn it around for your good!

Proverbs 3:5-7:Rose:

Amen. God is with us from the pit to the palace. I am learning to trust God even more during my pit seasons. That's when I have no choice but to wallow in self-pity, or draw closer to Him and watch my faith grow.

PinkPebbles

Hello Ladies!

Proverbs 25:2, 27

2It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

27It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

VERSE 2
I believe God wants us, and especially those who are in authority to seek out truth and righteousness in every situation. It is for our benefit. However, it is the Lord that makes the final decision and judgment in every case.

The Almighty God is still in control. He judges, rule over all, and His purpose will prevail. At the end of every good thing He will ultimately receive the glory!

VERSE 27
The Lord created glory in the same way He created and fashioned man. Man cannot create man, in the same way man cannot create glory.

It could be a clone, and copy, but it’s not the real thing!

Reminiscing

Hi Ladies,

The scripture that stuck out to me last night is on the topic of humbleness.

Proverbs 25
6 Don’t demand an audience with the king
or push for a place among the great.
7 It’s better to wait for an invitation to the head table
than to be sent away in public disgrace.

I read the New Living Translation Version and the footnotes let me to this scripture in Luke.

Luke 14...
7When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable:
8"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited.
9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place.
10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests.
11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

I love this parable and I think it speaks not just about humility but about letting our light shine. We don't need to walk about being boastful about being Christians. If we focus on letting our light shine then it will speak for itself. Others will know we walk with God before we even open our mouths.

I like the last line in Luke because if reminds me that I need to constantly check myself because if I don't humble myself then someone else will. And, I certainly don't want that embarrassment :blush:.

JinaRicci

Hello Ladies!

Proverbs 25:2, 27

2It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

27It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

Slightly OT: I love this- when Queen Esther says this in One Night with the King!

PinkPebbles

Hi Ladies,

The scripture that stuck out to me last night is on the topic of humbleness.

Proverbs 25
6 Don’t demand an audience with the king
or push for a place among the great.
7 It’s better to wait for an invitation to the head table
than to be sent away in public disgrace.

I read the New Living Translation Version and the footnotes let me to this scripture in Luke.

Luke 14...
7When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable:
8"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited.
9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place.
10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests.
11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

I love this parable and I think it speaks not just about humility but about letting our light shine. We don't need to walk about being boastful about being Christians. If we focus on letting our light shine then it will speak for itself. Others will know we walk with God before we even open our mouths.

I like the last line in Luke because if reminds me that I need to constantly check myself because if I don't humble myself then someone else will. And, I certainly don't want that embarrassment :blush:.

:goodpost:! Thank you.

I'm going to an event this weekend and a lot of well known and influential people will be there. I already told my friend that I'm not trying to be in the lime light :nono:. It's best if we wait until we are approached before we become engaged....

PinkPebbles

Happy Friday!

Proverbs 26…Indeed Profound! I practically highlighted the whole chapter!

Proverbs 26:4-5 I’d like to memorize and keep close to my heart. It would definitely help me to avoid unnecessary contention.

4Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

5Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Throughout Proverbs the word Fool is mentioned a lot; As well as, the Simple and Scorner. The more I studied; I realized that these words do not have the same meaning.

From my understanding, the word Fool described in the bible is one who rejects knowledge and understanding. The Simple is one who is naïve and hasn’t been exposed to the truth. The Scorner is a mocker, one who makes fun of others belief.

ETA: Sadly, I have played each one of these roles. But God be the glory...Now that I know better and have learned; I was able to do better.

VERSE 4
I understand this to mean, answer not in the same manner as a fool, or you will also look like a fool. A fool can be full of sarcasm. He or she most likely already knows the answer but refuse to accept it. At this point, their hidden agenda is to stir up strife.

VERSE 5
If one must answer a fool, answer with reproof and facts. Don’t disgrace yourself by stepping down to their level in an argument.
Unfortunately, there are some people at my job that can be labeled as a fool; rejecting the very knowledge and sound proof evidence that is presented before them. I’ve learned it’s best to state the facts and keep it moving! Some people just love drama….:drunk:.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Proverbs 27:17

17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

I believe we do this in the Christian forum; and in this challenge:).

I heard a Pastor on television say; the body of Christ is like bricks. A single brick is good but you can accomplish a lot more with other bricks. As brick stack on top of bricks, a strong firm house can be built.

Ladies, we are like bricks! Each day we continue to add brick upon bricks, layer after layers to each one of our houses (soul). As a result, we become stronger and wiser.

I also believe that our associations play a major role and have a lot of influence on our walk, growth, and devotion with the Lord.

When I’m down, you can lift me up. When you are down, I can lift you up. Sometimes we need that prayer partner, and or study partner as we approach new seasons in our lives.

May we continue to sharpen each other’s iron as we grow in the Lord :Rose:.

JinaRicci

Good morning everyone!

Proverbs 28: 13

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

This reminds me of another text "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Being in denial is never a good thing for moving forward. Admittance is always the first step. :) To me what this text is saying is that for us to prosper in our Christian walk, we must admit that we need God- covering up our weaknesses doesn't help us. He knows them anyway. But confessing allows us to receive mercy- forgiveness and His help to be free.

Reminiscing

Hi Ladies,

Proverbs 26 was loaded with wisdom for me on dealing with a particular person who constantly says mean words to me (or at times says thing that appear to be nice but the underlying message is mean) and then when I confront him about it, his response is always "I was just joking." I truly believe his words are not jokes because jokes are not supposed to hurt. They are supposed to make you laugh. And just as I was trying to figure out how to explain that to him for the 100th time, along comes this scripture...

Proverbs 26:
18 Just as damaging
as a madman shooting a deadly weapon
19 is someone who lies to a friend
and then says, “I was only joking.”

24 People may cover their hatred with pleasant words,
but they’re deceiving you
25 They pretend to be kind, but don’t believe them.
Their hearts are full of many evils.
26 While their hatred may be concealed by trickery,
their wrongdoing will be exposed in public.

These scriptures explain EXACTLY what I feel is the truth to my situation with this guy. I've told my mother several times that I think his harsh words are just his hatred for himself reflected on me. It's that age old line, "misery loves company." He is very unhappy with life while I on the other hand am not always bouncing off the wall with excitement but it is very obvious that I am content with life. I have a lot of joy in my heart and it shows because I'm always smiling.

Then going back to verse 20 it says...
20 Fire goes out without wood,
and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.

The footnotes in the New Living Translation explain that gossip in this scripture just doesn't refer to passing on rumors about someone. It includes constantly complaining about someone as well. I am guilty of this so from Proverbs 26, I've learned that this guys words are definitely not about me. They are a reflection of his own hatred AND I need to stop fueling the situation by constantly complaining about him. The complaining causes us to hold on to the situation and the hurt feelings rather than letting them go.

I refuse to let this guy steal my joy so I've decided that I'm going to reflect on these scriptures every time I think about him now. And, I don't need to try and explain why his "jokes" hurt any more because the Word is true and it's speaks for itself. The next time he bothers me, I'm going to write down these scriptures and hand it to him. The rest will be between him and God.

I'm so impressed with Proverbs. I feel like I can find the answer to anything in this book!

JinaRicci

^^Ooo... good one! That chapter was just for you Reminiscing! You're right- all the advice for life seems to be found in Proverbs.

Reminiscing

Proverbs 28

1 The wicked run away when no one is chasing them,
but the godly are as bold as lions.

This is so true. I've noticed the stronger I grow in the Word, the less fears I have. A few years ago after being in a bad car accident, I developed a fear of driving (even though I wasn't the one driving at the time of the accident). The fear wasn't bad enough that I stopped driving but when I would drive, the whole time I would be very tense. It was like I was holding my heart in my hands. The same thing happened with flying. I experienced a VERY bad flight while traveling abroad where the power briefly went out in the cabin and the plane dropped a few feet. The whole plane went silent, all you could hear were people using their barf bags :nono:. I prayed so hard that we would land safely and thank God we did but it left me with a terrible fear of flying. And just like with my driving, I still flew but I was a wreck every time I boarded a flight. From the time we took off to the time we landed, I could feel every heart beat. And the days leading up to my flight my stomach would be in knots. :perplexed

I am very thankful to say now that after fully recommitting my life to God, I have no fear of driving or flying. I actually love driving now and I can peacefully sleep through an entire flight without jumping from every slight shake the plane makes. I believe fear is an tool of the enemy and as Christians we need to be bold as lions just as the Word says. God's Word and his power gave me healing over my fears. With God there is victory in everything!

PinkPebbles

I'm so impressed with Proverbs. I feel like I can find the answer to anything in this book!

You're right- all the advice for life seems to be found in Proverbs.

Ladies - I'm in total agreement!

Proverbs is really changing my mindset. I had to go back and read Proverbs 25:28
28He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

AND Proverbs 16:20
20He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

My new business partner and I are having some disagreements. For the past month or two we haven't been seeing eye to eye on things. I feel as though I've been doing all the work.

This morning I've received a ridiculous text message from her. My Lord, I'm trying not to blow up. I'm trying not to make irrational decisions based on my emotions. Lord, please grant me temperance, self-control, and peace right now:pray:. Let me handle this matter and future matters wisely so good could come from it.

I thank the Lord for Proverbs. Right now I need it, especially these two verses.

Reminiscing

Ladies - I'm in total agreement!

Proverbs is really changing my mindset. I had to go back and read Proverbs 25:28
28He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

AND Proverbs 16:20
20He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

My new business partner and I are having some disagreements. For the past month or two we haven't been seeing eye to eye on things. I feel as though I've been doing all the work.

This morning I've received a ridiculous text message from her. My Lord, I'm trying not to blow up. I'm trying not to make irrational decisions based on my emotions. Lord, please grant me temperance, self-control, and peace right now:pray:. Let me handle this matter and future matters wisely so good could come from it.

I thank the Lord for Proverbs. Right now I need it, especially these two verses.

Hey PinkPebbles,

Don't forget Proverbs 3:5-6. Leave it in God's hands and he will take care of it! Love ya sis! :bighug:

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.

PinkPebbles

Hey PinkPebbles,

Don't forget Proverbs 3:5-6. Leave it in God's hands and he will take care of it! Love ya sis! :bighug:

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.

Thank you Sis:heart2:! One of my favorite proverbs.

ms.mimi

Proverbs 29:11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.
Proverbs 29:11 (KJV)
11A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
Proverbs 29:11 (Msg)
11 A fool lets it all hang out; a sage quietly mulls it over.

I love all 3 versions of this scripture. Anything with anger ALWAYS reminds me of
Genesis 4:6-7
6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."
Everytime I think of that scripture I see (in my mind) a little demon in black with the word 'Sin' on it's shirt couching down by my door ready to pounce on me.....that picture does help!

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Good Morning Ladies - I feel so much better today!

Proverbs 29:23
23A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Last night my business partner and I set aside our pride; worked out our differences, and handled business. I'm truly grateful that we are both women of God that are open to hear from the Lord. We left no room for the enemy to attack us with strife and division. We were smart to recognize that a business / house divided cannot stand.

Proverbs 30:5
5Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

This verse encouraged and reminded me that God has always been my strong-tower. When it appears that the enemy is running things; God clothes me with his whole armor. The helmet of His salvation, the breastplate of His righteousness, buckles my waist with truth, allows me to carry the shield of faith to be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one, and I hold the sword of the spirit which is the word of God.

He has given me a prayer language to walk in the preparation of peace; to be watchful and discerning.

This verse also reminded me throughout the bible God has shown Himself strong in the lives of the Israelites. He fought many battles on their behalf.

God's word was tried and purified in the life of Daniel. Daniel would not bow down or serve any other god. He trusted the Lord so much that He didn't mind the word of God to be tried and proven in the midst of his enemies.

The Babylonians thought by putting Daniel in the den with lions he would be destroyed. But the Lord is faithful to those who sincerely love Him. He is faithful to those who call upon His name unashamed and put their trust in Him.

The Babylonians hatred and envy towards Daniel led them to plot, scheme, and manipulate the king's judgment. Daniel was thrown in the den with lions. However, the next day Daniel told the king "My God sent an angel and He shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me because I have done nothing wrong."

I'm learning no matter how many lions surround me (and God's children); the Lord will take care of them :).

Last edited:

Reminiscing

Hi Ladies,

My post today is on the same scripture, but different versions of it.

I first read Proverbs 29:18 a year or so after I graduated from college. My friend and I had both been lamenting over where we were heading with our careers. We had an abundance of ideas and things we wanted to do that we had no idea where to start. In a moment of frustration we started saying, maybe it would be easier if we just didn't have so many goals. If we didn't dream so big then we wouldn't be so disappointed BUT a few days later, my friend found this scripture and she emailed it to me.

18Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. (KJV)

The first part is what really stuck with me. We had been complaining about having too many goals when goals and visions are actually a blessing from God. Having a plan and knowing where you're going is what keeps you alive.

Last night, thanks to this challenge, I was even further educated on this scripture. I read it in the New Living Translation and the Message Bible.

18 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild.
But whoever obeys the law is joyful. (NLT)

18 If people can't see what God is doing,
they stumble all over themselves;
But when they attend to what he reveals,
they are most blessed.
(MSG)

In the NLT version it refers to the visions as "divine guidance." I love that because it lets me know that my goals cannot come from me, they have to come from God. I have to ask God to let HIS visions be my visions. Let me see what he has planned for me. I have to ask him to speak to me daily so that I know that I'm still on the right path because if I don't adhere to his divine guidance then I will "stumble all over myself" as written in the Message Bible. But, Happy (KJV), Joyful (NLT), and Blessed (MSG) will l be if I follow the plans God has for me.

I have read this scripture so many times in the past but it was most inspiring to me last night. God has been speaking to me about 2010. He has some big plans for me and I pray every night that he will humble me so that I don't trip over myself as these plans go forth. I also made a list of everything last night and asked him to confirm that these are all in line with his vision. Anything that he does not confirm will certainly be crossed off the list by January 1st. I'm determined to start off 2010 in line with the Lord.

PinkPebbles, I can't say it enough. Thank you so much for this challenge. It came in perfect timing for me.

Reminiscing

Good Morning Ladies - I feel so much better today!

I'm learning no matter how many lions surround me (and God's children); the Lord will take care of them :).

I'm so glad you're feeling better PinkPebbles! And, I love what you wrote about lions surrounding us. It's so true! We are under attack everyday but God will protect us through it all. :yep:

PinkPebbles

Hi Ladies,

My post today is on the same scripture, but different versions of it.

I first read Proverbs 29:18 a year or so after I graduated from college. My friend and I had both been lamenting over where we were heading with our careers. We had an abundance of ideas and things we wanted to do that we had no idea where to start. In a moment of frustration we started saying, maybe it would be easier if we just didn't have so many goals. If we didn't dream so big then we wouldn't be so disappointed BUT a few days later, my friend found this scripture and she emailed it to me.

18Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. (KJV)

The first part is what really stuck with me. We had been complaining about having too many goals when goals and visions are actually a blessing from God. Having a plan and knowing where you're going is what keeps you alive.

Last night, thanks to this challenge, I was even further educated on this scripture. I read it in the New Living Translation and the Message Bible.

18 When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild.
But whoever obeys the law is joyful. (NLT)

18 If people can't see what God is doing,
they stumble all over themselves;
But when they attend to what he reveals,
they are most blessed. (MSG)

In the NLT version it refers to the visions as "divine guidance." I love that because it lets me know that my goals cannot come from me, they have to come from God. I have to ask God to let HIS visions be my visions. Let me see what he has planned for me. I have to ask him to speak to me daily so that I know that I'm still on the right path because if I don't adhere to his divine guidance then I will "stumble all over myself" as written in the Message Bible. But, Happy (KJV), Joyful (NLT), and Blessed (MSG) will l be if I follow the plans God has for me.

I have read this scripture so many times in the past but it was most inspiring to me last night. God has been speaking to me about 2010. He has some big plans for me and I pray every night that he will humble me so that I don't trip over myself as these plans go forth. I also made a list of everything last night and asked him to confirm that these are all in line with his vision. Anything that he does not confirm will certainly be crossed off the list by January 1st. I'm determined to start off 2010 in line with the Lord.

Reminiscing - I had to log back on tonight because I came across Proverbs 16:3 (amplified). This verse is in line with your entire post!

3Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.

Sis, you will walk into everything that God has promised you for 2010 :yep:. You are a woman after God's own heart!

~Blessings :reddancer:

Butterfly08

Behind again! :(

But here are my favorite 2 verses from Chapter 21:

1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD;
he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.
30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan
that can succeed against the LORD.

These verses remind me that no matter how tough the opposition seems, NOTHING can happen that God does not allow. And since all things work out for my good, that means that whatever those in power (or appear to be in power) do, it will benefit me in the end! :grin: That is very encouraging, considering what I am facing right now. Praise God!

PinkPebbles

Morning Ladies!

Today is Dec. 16th and it marks the 31st day of our challenge:thewave:!

I had a wonderful experience. As Proverbs 15:30 eloquently states:
30The light in the eyes [of him whose heart is joyful] rejoices the hearts of others, and good news nourishes the bones.

In the presence of the Lord our hearts have been revived; and by the word of God we received nourishment for our souls. Indeed, let us rejoice!

We had some David and Jonathan connections; supernatural connections. This challenge did not happen by accident or coincidence. The Lord revealed to me that Nov and Dec would be critical months for me. I needed to stay focus, and the word of God would help me. Indeed, the word of God kept me through it all.

I thank you all for your participation, love, and prayers. This thread served as support, pillars, and accountability.

Each day I prayed that ALL of us would have a one on one, personal experience with the Lord. He would grant each of us spiritual insight, wisdom, knowledge, and understanding on how to approach life's circumstances. I stood on James 1:5-6

5If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of [b]the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him.

6Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting).

And Proverbs 1:23

23If you will turn (repent) and give heed to my reproof, behold, I [[d]Wisdom] will pour out my spirit upon you, I will make my words known to you.(E)

Lastly Ephesians 1:17-21

17[For I always pray to] the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, that He may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation [of insight into mysteries and secrets] in the [deep and intimate] knowledge of Him,

18By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones),

19And [so that you can know and understand] what is the immeasurable and unlimited and surpassing greatness of His power in and for us who believe, as demonstrated in the working of His mighty strength,

20Which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His [own] right hand in the heavenly [places],
21Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion and every name that is named [above every title that can be conferred], not only in this age and in this world, but also in the age and the world which are to come.

I love you all like sisters :heart2:! I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2010!

I will be back to post my insights on Proverbs 31.

Reminiscing

Reminiscing - I had to log back on tonight because I came across Proverbs 16:3 (amplified). This verse is in line with your entire post!

3Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.

Sis, you will walk into everything that God has promised you for 2010 :yep:. You are a woman after God's own heart!

~Blessings :reddancer:

Thank you so much for writing this!

You are a woman after God's on heart too for being obedient and following his direction to start this challenge. You will be greatly blessed for this!

Reminiscing

Behind again! :(

But here are my favorite 2 verses from Chapter 21:

1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD;
he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.
30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan
that can succeed against the LORD.

These verses remind me that no matter how tough the opposition seems, NOTHING can happen that God does not allow. And since all things work out for my good, that means that whatever those in power (or appear to be in power) do, it will benefit me in the end! :grin: That is very encouraging, considering what I am facing right now. Praise God!

Thanks for bringing up this scripture. I'm gonna have to go back and highlight it in my Bible. I like it!

PinkPebbles

Several verses in Proverbs 31 stood out to me.

Proverbs 31:10
10Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

A virtuous woman is a godly woman. She is godly because she demonstrates the characteristics of one that has the fruit of the spirit. The bible tells us that we will know them by their fruit. Galatians 5:22-26

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

VERSE 11 - 12
11The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.

12She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.

There is no need for her husband to look elsewhere. This woman has love and joy in her heart. She demonstrates meekness and gentleness. It's not hard for her husband to become one with her; and share the intimate details of his life, struggles, challenges, and perhaps insecurities.

VERSE 20
20She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].

She knows all about longsuffering. She has compassion and empathy for those in need. And she shows goodness towards them.

VERSE 30
30Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!

The secret to this woman's honor and praise by her husband, children, and community was her godly wisdom, trust, and faith in the Lord. She wasn't wise in her own eyes, but acknowledged the Lord in all of her ways. And trust that He would direct her path. Proverbs 22:4 reminds us 4The reward of humility and the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life.

The Proverbs 31 woman had a lot of spiritual gifts and talent. I believe this is not what made her virtuous. It was her obedience and reverence unto the Lord. Her obedience and reverence unto the Lord is the results of her many gifts and talents that are used in a praiseworthy manner for the uplifting of the Kingdom of God.

As Psalm 111:10 eloquently states:
10The reverent fear and worship of the Lord is the beginning of [a]Wisdom and skill [the preceding and the first essential, the prerequisite and the alphabet]; a good understanding, wisdom, and meaning have all those who do [the will of the Lord]. Their praise of Him endures forever.

Reminiscing

Wow day 31! I really can't believe we've reached the end of this challenge already. I'm truly going to miss posting in this thread everyday.

Here's my thoughts on Proverbs 31...

I've read Proverbs 31 several times before for it's description of what makes a good wife but this time around it's verse 4-7 (which come before the wife description) that stood out to me.

4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine.
Rulers should not crave alcohol.
5 For if they drink, they may forget the law
and not give justice to the oppressed.
6 Alcohol is for the dying,
and wine for those in bitter distress.
7 Let them drink to forget their poverty
and remember their troubles no more.

I've never been a huge drinker but I started "social drinking" when I started my first full-time job in my industry. I learned the hard way that not going out with your co-workers for drinks after work actually reflects poorly on your yearly performance evaluation. I'm still trying to figure out what my personal time has to do with my work performance but apparently that's how it works in my industry. Anyway, I started out by just having one drink, then it grew to two drinks and then I eventually ended up drunk a few times. And, it was in those times of heavy drinking that I felt myself moving further and further away from God.

The heavy drinking didn't last long (thank God!) but I still kept up the 1-2 drinks per social outing. I was confused (and still am a little uncertain) as to whether drinking moderately is a sin or not but either way in September of this year I decided to cut drinking out completely and it's because of verse 5 "For if they drink, they may forget the law." I hadn't even read this scripture but this is what came to me at the time of my decision. I noticed that since I'm not a big drinker, one drink gives me that tipsy feeling and after just one drink my good judgment starts to go out the door. My actions don't get crazy but my thoughts do. I have a harder time keeping the impure thoughts away which completely contradicts my commitment to abstinence that I made to God.

So, my summation on drinking is that for me it is a sin because the state that it puts my mind in leads to sexually impure thoughts and this scripture confirms what was revealed to me in September when I made the decision to cut out drinking.

Now on the other hand, when I get married, I may have to revisit this sin or not thing because a few sips may spice up the fun with hubby. :lachen:

JinaRicci

Hello Ladies! This was great- you all were such a blessing to me & everyone else reading this thread. PinkPebbles- Thank you very much for challenging us to study this awesome book!

I think it's fitting that we are ending with the chapter on the virtuous woman.

Proverbs 31: 18

She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

We know that this woman was on top of everything. She was prepared! Her candle or her lamp did not go out when she needed it most. I think the virtuous woman is not only prepared for matters dealing with her household but also for spiritual matters that affect her heavenly home.

Reading this last part today reminded me of the wise virgins who were prepared for the groom's return. I think that's what all of us here on CF are striving for- To be prepared for Christ's return no matter when that may be. By studying God's word and letting Him work in our lives, we are making sure we have enough oil & trimming our lamps.

When we face dark times- difficult times in our lives & our christian walk as we get nearer to Christ's second coming, we will be prepared with our lamps burning bright when we need it the most because we are grounded in the Word. My prayer today is that we all continue to grow in Christ and are ready to meet Him in the air when that time comes.

I am so moved right now- thank you again & may God bless you!

PinkPebbles

Hello Ladies! This was great- you all were such a blessing to me & everyone else reading this thread. PinkPebbles- Thank you very much for challenging us to study this awesome book!

I think it's fitting that we are ending with the chapter on the virtuous woman.

Proverbs 31: 18

She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

We know that this woman was on top of everything. She was prepared! Her candle or her lamp did not go out when she needed it most. I think the virtuous woman is not only prepared for matters dealing with her household but also for spiritual matters that affect her heavenly home.

Reading this last part today reminded me of the wise virgins who were prepared for the groom's return. I think that's what all of us here on CF are striving for- To be prepared for Christ's return no matter when that may be. By studying God's word and letting Him work in our lives, we are making sure we have enough oil & trimming our lamps.

When we face dark times- difficult times in our lives & our christian walk as we get nearer to Christ's second coming, we will be prepared with our lamps burning bright when we need it the most because we are grounded in the Word. My prayer today is that we all continue to grow in Christ and are ready to meet Him in the air when that time comes.

I am so moved right now- thank you again & may God bless you!

JinaRicci - I agree with you. What you noted in the bolded is so profound. I lost two unexpected family members within these last 31 days and my friend texted me yesterday to say her Mom doesn't have much longer to live.

Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. We do not know the day or hour the Lord wants to bring us home. Throughout this challenge the Lord revealed to me the good, bad, and ugly. At the end of the day as you nicely stated "My prayer today is that we all continue to grow in Christ and are ready to meet Him."

What will it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul. Matthew 16:26

God Bless you Sis.

ms.mimi

Proverbs 30:24-28
24 "Four things on earth are small, yet they are extremely wise:
25 Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer;
This scripture really spoke to me. The bible states that the ant is strong but we all are very familar with their nature. They are purposeful. No wondering around or chilling for them. All through out scripture we are told about working hard, preparation and storing. Here's two from Matthew.
Matthew 6:19-20
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
JinaRicci I want to confirm the word you gave today because the Holy Spirit gave me the same scripture.
lMatthew 25:1-13
1"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6"At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'

7"Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'
9" 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'
10"But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
11"Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'
12"But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'
13"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

hmmmmm....time to get busy!