Wondering if my braids are too tight.

nathansgirl1908

I had to have all of my braids redone because they slid out after I washed them last week. This time I went to an African lady who comes highly recommended by a stylist at my salon. The stylist says that she gets the woman to do her braids several times a year and that her hair has never been taken out. So I called the woman and got her to do my braids. I want to add that this lady puts braids in her own head several times a year and she has long, thick, pretty hair. So I felt pretty good about it.

Now I am scared that the braids may be too tight. My head is sore. A few spots are stinging a little bit. However, I don't have any bumps that I have gotten in the past when braids were too tight. so far I haven't seen any of the dreaded little white spots that indicate pulled hair. So is it possible that I'm just experiencing typical soreness that will abate, or is it something that I should address with her?

msa

When my braids are done right, my head isn't sore at all. Then again I'm not tenderheaded either. If you have to wonder if they are too tight, they probably are. I'd be most worried about the ones around the edges and I would take out any that were pulling there. Can you call her and see if she'll redo the too tight ones?

nathansgirl1908

I am definitely tenderheaded so that could be it. But I think you are right. If I really have to wonder, then they probably are too tight. I am going to call her and talk to her about it.

tailormade84

even if you are tenderheaded, pain is still pain.

i would not keep a style in that hurts. pain is a sign that something is wrong. we all have different levels of hair health and different scalps - what may too much tension for one won't bother another - just be sure to listen when your hair/scalp is telling you something....

Nonie

I agree with Msa and Tailormade. Braids don't have to be done tightly to be firmly attached. In other words, there's no need to pull hard at the base. One can just braid firmly, ie make the "rope" firm so that the hair doesn't slide.

Last edited:

Kacie

Did you try washing them? Dilute a little poo in an applicator bottle and apply to your scalp and rinse. There's a tutorial for washing braids on Robin's growafrohairlong site.

nathansgirl1908

I had not tried washing them. I think I will do that. I did kind of pull them up in a very loose bun and that went a long way towards alleviating some of the pain.

I'm waiting on her to call me back.