Words that are used to describe your hair?? (By you and others)

zzirvingj

I think nowadays when referring to my hair I usually describe it as being "kinky".

I used to say "nappy" but I found alot of people get offended when I call my own hair nappy and some people are like "don't say nappy in front of white people" and on and on and on.

I found that 2 white girls I knew, when referring to my hair used the word "curly". For some reason it interested me because I wasn't sure what they would think to call my hair, but I didn't think they would come out and say "curly".

The other most frequent word I use to describe my hair to other people is THICK, which I know is obvious, cause I don't even wear my hair out and people are constantly telling me how THICK OF A HEAD 'O HAIR I got! LOL

What words do you use to describe your hair?

What words have others used?

Poobity

I use "nappy" and "cottony."

ETA: I didn't read the other part of the question. Other people have said my hair is nappy and soft.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

I get "Soft Like Cotton" "Very Tight Curls".
I don't get called Nappy, well at least not to my face,But my hair would get nappy if I just let it go and not do nothing or as some would say"Badly Tangled" LOL!!!!!

caribeandiva

Human being
i don't like the term nappy so i don't use it (actually i've never had anybody use it on me either). it's always being "thick". and people with thin hair are very envious!

Wishin4BSL

I say: naturally kinky and now healthy! One step at a time...I can't wait until I can say LONG!
Others: my parents and my boyfriend say soft

Candy_C

thick, shiney, long and greasy! my mum says my hair is like an oil slick...i think she means mOISturized!

ekomba

i use nappy and natural most of the time. Hubby only says nappy when it s bad/uncared for and people only say natural or just say beautiful hair when describing my hair but mostly natural hair or "real" authentic hair.nobody said nappy yet. i did not know nappy is a bad term at least not for me but hubby only use it if i wake up in the morning and i did not take care of my hair and it look messed up like in "Your hair looks nappy! fix it" and me i reply of course my hair IS nappy lol. i m the only one who dare call it nappy,cottony,kinky, naps i dont pay no mind i m just in looooove with my hair and cant just wait for it to grow grow grow and see where it stops:D :lachen: :grin: :grin:

Kalani

Depends what kind of day I'm having. :lol:

In its natural state my hair is kinky so thats what I'll refer it too when I'm in bad need of a retouch.

When its extremely humid out, I'll call my hair rebellious because no matter how I style it, it'll just do its own thing.

Most of the time I refer to my hair as unruley because no matter the end result, it takes alot of preparation and energy to work my hair into submission. Whenever I get complimented on my curls (particularly by white women) I always think to myself "you have no idea what went into creating this look". I certainly don't wake up with my hair looking like this. :lol:

Cichelle

I almost always describe my hair as curly. I really don't know a better word to use. Curly pretty much sums it up. Sometimes I'll describe it as "very curly". :)

karezone

Thick and bushy.

Are the words people use to describe my hair and somedays it can get really bushy.