Why the desire to use the word "curls" in reference to kinky natural hair?

ajoyfuljoy

I've noticed a lot on various hairboards that a lot of people say they love their "curls" when their hair is really kinky. My natural hair is really kinky and coily, but I will never refer to it as curly b/c it just isn't there.

I've noticed that not a lot of people seem to say or embrace the words "kinky" or even "nappy." All I hear is curly. What do you think about this? Do you say curly, nappy, kinky...what is your word that you use to describe your natural hair and why?

sharifeh

well i don't have natural hair so I don't really use any of these terms on a regular basis.
maybe coils would be better than curls?
I mean as far as I know they are still some type of curl even though the curls are not big
I don't know what nappy even means or kinky.
but i know what a curl is
the words kinky and nappy hold very little meaning to me; the meaning is vague
i thought nappy was a bad word
i guess im just clueless

Neith

Kinks = Tiny Curls

They are literally tiny curls. If you pluck one of your hairs, doesn't it curl around itself? 4a and 4b just have very small diameters. You can have huge 3a sidewalk chalk curls to tiny little pensprings type 4 hair.

I describe my hair as kinky, coily, nappy and curly. It is ALL of those things :D

iprocrz108

I believe that for some, the words "kinky" and "nappy" have negative connotations and the fact that these words have been used derogatorily to describe various black hair textures. Admittedly, I don't like the words "kinky" and "nappy" because I don't believe they accurately describe hair texture :perplexed Also, as a child I never heard those two words used in an endearing fashion :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VirtuousGal

Well, this thread should be interesting...I'm relaxed, but I have no problem with Black women referring to their hair as curls because that's what they are; tightly coiled bushy curls. I think more of a question would be, how did the phrase kinky come about? Although I have certainly referred to my natural texture that way, when I pay attention to its texture, I realized that my natural hair really does curl! Not that loose, "good hair" curl that so many of us feel meet the curly "bar".
If anything, I guess kinky can be thought of as a way to categorize the degree of curly, but come to think of it, I don't really like it because it puts are hair into some ambiguous category, similar to the concept of race. It's the bastard of hair care in the main stream beauty. Many people run away from our hair (hair stylists) because they're intimidated by the kink monster.

msa

My hair is coily. It does not look anything like a curl, it looks like an actual spring coil.

I understand why ppl refer to their hair as curly but it just doesn't "fit" in my opinion.

DarkVictory

Do you say curly, nappy, kinky...what is your word that you use to describe your natural hair and why?

There was another thread on this not too long ago. I call my hair woolly or nappy. There are a few curls here and there in my head, but for the most part if I just wash it and let it air dry it looks exactly like the wool on a sheep. I think of nappy as a neutral fabric term, similar to calling someone's hair flaxen. Knowing its negative weight for many people I don't use it to describe someone else, but me, myself I call nappy.

Ronnieaj

I don't know what you mean when you say kinky. I'm not sure if that' s meant to describe texture, appearance, or what, so I don't use it. My hair is coily and curly. I have no sharp angles anywhere. So coily/curly is the most appropriate way for me to describe my hair. My hair isn't nappy if I keep it properly moisturized and detangled, so that word only describes my hair if I've done something wrong. I'm not going to take the liberty of describing someone else's hair for them (unless asked!), so I use the words most applicable to describe my own hair.

jennboo

My hair is kinky, nappy, very textured, LOL.

There really is no other way to describe it... but i personally don't take offense to those words :grin:

I don't have curls, or even coils.

I think lots of kinky-nappy folks refer to their hair as 'curly' bc it sounds better to other people.

SEMO

'cause it is a curl. just different degrees. that's what i've learned

I believe that for some, the words "kinky" and "nappy" have negative connotations and the fact that these word have been used derogatorily to describe various black hair textures. Admittedly, I don't like the words "kinky" and "nappy" because I don't believe they accurately describe hair texture :perplexed Also, as a child I never heard those two words used in an endearing fashion :rolleyes:

Nappy has negative connotations. Like someone said, it is curls. Just small ones.

I agree with the above. After all of the derogatory labels that have been imposed on black people (hair-wise and in other ways) I fully support people self-determining what they want to call their hair.

People can refer to their hair as spirals, ribbon curls, curly-q's, etc. for all I care.

eta:
I describe my hair as curly.

Last edited:

SweetSpirit86

Well, this thread should be interesting...I'm relaxed, but I have no problem with Black women referring to their hair as curls because that's what they are; tightly coiled bushy curls. I think more of a question would be, how did the phrase kinky come about? Although I have certainly referred to my natural texture that way, when I pay attention to its texture, I realized that my natural hair really does curl! Not that loose, "good hair" curl that so many of us feel meet the curly "bar".
If anything, I guess kinky can be thought of as a way to categorize the degree of curly, but come to think of it, I don't really like it because it puts are hair into some ambiguous category, similar to the concept of race. It's the bastard of hair care in the main stream beauty. Many people run away from our hair (hair stylists) because they're intimidated by the kink monster.

It may just be me, but another way to think of it...outside the wooly/bushy/whatever thing is that a kink is usually a problem. It gets in the way...prevents progress. What a good word to use when trying to be negative towards someone's hair, right?

Either way, as already stated...I've never heard "kinky" used as a term of endearment either. I will say curly...I will say coiled...but kinky isn't in my direct vocab when referring to my hair. If I say it's nappy...it's tangled.:giggle:

Cheleigh

I use curly because that's what it is...a small curl. But I also use coily, kinky, nappy, highly textured. It's all that and a whole lot more. :grin: I probably use kinky curly/kinky coily most often.

By the same token, I do not believe that all natural hair curls, so I do not believe it's a one size fits all sort of thing.

Platinum

Interesting...:look:

nysister

IMO Coils are Curls just smaller ones. I think that for me coils are a better adjective. I have very small curls about 1/4 inch and to me those are coils.

They do the same thing. Spring.

PerplexingComplex

Coily, kinky & curly...the same words I heard growing up. I put them in order of usage.

ETA: My curl pattern is coily. When it tangles, it becomes kinky. It gets kinky because it's really curly.

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

I'm kinky, coily, curly. My hair spirals look just like the spring:wow: inside of an ink pen..definitely a curl. I love the term kinky and see no negative with the reference.

ajoyfuljoy

I completely agree with the fact that people should call their hair whatever they want. But for me, I don't think I will ever refer to my hair as curly b/c it is not a curl, it is tightly wound into a coil. And yes, each separate bend of that coil is technically a curl, but I just prefer coil.

And for me, it makes me feel as though I'm trying to mimic the language of those with looser-textured hair instead of embracing the unique characteristics of my own natural hair.

When I hear curls I think loose curls. When I hear coils, bushy, kiny, afro (...) I think of big, beautiful and fabulous highly-textured African hair that is unique, set apart and definitely in a category of its own. So for me, I guess that is why I like to use the special words.

I would like to reclaim the words "kinky" and "nappy" back from the haters and use them as terms of endearment for my hair.

That's just my two cents though. I do enjoy hearing everyone else's opinion and appreciate the fact that we all hold unique perspectives.

Last edited:

msa

Ajoyfuljoy, I agree with you. Sometimes I jsut really think people are in denial and using that language supports it (especially when people start talking about defining their "curls" or making them "pop").

IMO my hair is nappy, always has been to me... When I got to college folks said it was wavy and curly...
Honestly I'm like... Call it what it is, if u got naps call it a nap we all know what a nap is lol don't try to nice it up...
I think callin it a curl is destracting from the originality of the texture...
I love my naps...
I won't be mad if you call em curls or waves though...
I actually hate the words kinky and coarse for some reason...

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I describe my hair as nappy because that's what it is. I don't think I've ever used Kinky. No reason.

I do have actual curls, not coils, but they are very frizzy and undefinable so I never refer to my hair as curly. It just doesn't fit, I don't think.

SweetSpirit86

IMO my hair is nappy, always has been to me... When I got to college folks said it was wavy and curly...
Honestly I'm like... Call it what it is, if u got naps call it a nap we all know what a nap is lol don't try to nice it up...
I think callin it a curl is destracting from the originality of the texture...
I love my naps...
I won't be mad if you call em curls or waves though...
I actually hate the words kinky and coarse for some reason...

I don't mind coarse, actually. When I think of "coarse," I think..it's stubborn, but for whatever reason I don't think "rough. My hair is stubborn...but it doesn't feel rough. Maybe I'm just weird...:look:

Last edited:

ajoyfuljoy

Ajoyfuljoy, I agree with you. Sometimes I jsut really think people are in denial and using that language supports it (especially when people start talking about defining their "curls" or making them "pop").

I didn't want to say that b/c it sounds so in your face but I do agree to a certain extent. And this is coming from a relaxed chick who has struggled with transitioning for several years. I love the fact that my natural hair is kinky, coily, big and thick. Curls just doesn't get it for ME. It's way much more than that going on. :lachen:And I love it.

My hair is coily. I do think when it grows out that the coils will probably join together and form little gangs to make bigger coils, but to me that still isn't curls. To me my hair is too special to be defined by such a generic word as "curl."

Last edited:

Lol I feel u boo I didn't want to say it so thankyou lol... "My curls popped" is an irritating statement to me lol just say ur naps look nice today lol, and they probably look great without the goo lol I think it looks better honestly I love 4b hair without slime in it, its got character... Its blackness... Something I always wanted as a mixed chickie

MissMeWithThatIsh

What's in a name?

I see curls... I call them curls...

When I think of kinks... I think of small krinkles... the tight Z shape as opposed to S shape... no matter what the size... the Z, zig zaggy pattern as opposed to softer S- loops and waves...

I don't mind coarse, actually. When I think of "coarse," I think..it's stubborn, but for whatever reason I don't think "rough. My hair is stubborn...but it doesn't feel rough. Maybe I'm just weird...:look:

U know what, my white teammates used to call it rough and coarse... And other things... White ppl find a way to ruin a lot lol... I love em but they are ruiners LOL