Worried - Taking MSM and I'm 14 week post relaxer

Dutchess

Worried - Taking MSM and I\'m 14 week post relaxer

I am worried because I am taking MSM and my new growth is coming in so soft, shiny and manageable that I haven't had to re-touch in 14 weeks. I've NEVER experienced going more than 8-10 weeks without a re-touch. I am not trying to grow out my relaxer - I like my relaxed hair, however, since I've been taking the MSM, I see no need to re-touch at this time. I've been doing my own hair for years and this is defintely something new for me. I'm just wondering if this is okay for my hair. Should I just go ahead and re-touch anyway because it's time? I value the advice and suggestions that I get from LHCF. What do you think?

H

HoneyRockette

Re: Worried - Taking MSM and I\'m 14 week post relaxer

HOw long have you been taking MSM?

raslat

yeah how long have you been taking it and it what dosages. While your at it why not name the brand. Im about to go take some msm...mine is from GNC in gel. it is so easy to open so what i do now is just open about two of them and dump it in orange juice and drink twice daily. mine is in 1000mg. I just started taking on friday so I have not come close to results yet.but im curious about yours.

Victorian

old head
Re: Worried - Taking MSM and I\'m 14 week post rela

Well, I'm not taking MSM so I haven't experienced this, but my intuition says don't relax until you need to. It will be healthier for your hair to go so long without chemicals. If you start noticing breakage at the line of demarcation then don't wait longer. Take note of how many weeks have gone by at that time so you can remember to relax just before then next time. But if everything is going fine and you can handle all the new growth as it is, you might as well wait.

kenyana

[ QUOTE ]
I am worried because I am taking MSM and my new growth is coming in so soft, shiny and manageable that I haven't had to re-touch in 14 weeks. I've NEVER experienced going more than 8-10 weeks without a re-touch. I am not trying to grow out my relaxer - I like my relaxed hair, however, since I've been taking the MSM, I see no need to re-touch at this time. I've been doing my own hair for years and this is defintely something new for me. I'm just wondering if this is okay for my hair. Should I just go ahead and re-touch anyway because it's time? I value the advice and suggestions that I get from LHCF. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

listen 2 your hair...
it will tell u when it's ready for a re-touch. I'm taking MSM as well and I'm thinking I could stretch out my post-relaxer period as well. How much MSM r u taking?

raslat

hey duchess,
please let your secret out. why is it you dont want to tell us what brand and how many doses

Dutchess

Re: Worried - Taking MSM and I\'m 14 week post rela

Thanks BlackCardinal, I was trying to avoid breakage and so far so good.

Dutchess

Hi Raslat, I'm taking the same kind of MSM that you are. Make sure you drink a lot of water with it okay.

raslat

I am its from gnc the lingusial brand I think. But starting last night i started opening them and dumpint them in orange juice, do u think its more potent in its powder form? oh dont worry drinking water will never be the problem.

Dutchess

Hi Kenyana, I'm taking 3 tablets a day with meals that the suggested dosage for GNC brand. So far I have been "listening 2" my hair and it's fine, but I just can't stop wondering if this is okay, ya know? Thanks for the advice.

Dutchess

Hey Raslat, I don't know much about MSM. My doctor suggested that I take it for arthritis in my hand. Then I saw posts about it and wondered if it was the same MSM I was taking...and it was. So I get double benefits from taking it. Someone has a post here where you can learn all about the benefits of MSM.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
I've been taking MSM since January.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are u taking the one that says Lignisul on the back? I have been taking it for about a month now 2000 mgs a day. About how long do u think it took to see texture changes in your new growth?

Dutchess

Hi Britt, I am actually taking GNC Triflex triple action formula featuring MSM (900mg) , glucosamine and chondroitin. I was taking it for my hand. The difference in the hair was rapid, but I kept ignoring it. I would re-touch every 8-10 weeks like clockwork - out of habit no matter what the hair looked like. Then I rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy started to see the changes, saw a few posts on MSM and read everything and that's when I realized it was the MSM. It's a trip!

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Britt, I am actually taking GNC Triflex triple action formula featuring MSM (900mg) , glucosamine and chondroitin. I was taking it for my hand. The difference in the hair was rapid, but I kept ignoring it. I would re-touch every 8-10 weeks like clockwork - out of habit no matter what the hair looked like. Then I rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy started to see the changes, saw a few posts on MSM and read everything and that's when I realized it was the MSM. It's a trip!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome, Dutchess!...MSM has worked for me with softer new growth and I no longer have a pain in my tooth that was bothering me for so long. It's good stuff!

Dutchess

Hi JenJen, are you having to wait longer to re-touch? What do you think I should do about my re-touches? I just don't want to make a mistake and mess up the progress that I have had with my hair. I got my 6 inches in 12 months and I'm happy that MSM contributed to that growth. I'm glad it helped your tooth. That's awesome! My skin is looking kinda pretty these days too.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Hi JenJen, are you having to wait longer to re-touch? What do you think I should do about my re-touches? I just don't want to make a mistake and mess up the progress that I have had with my hair. I got my 6 inches in 12 months and I'm happy that MSM contributed to that growth. I'm glad it helped your tooth. That's awesome! My skin is looking kinda pretty these days too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've gradually been increasing the time in between touchups since taking the MSM and keeping my hair moisturized diligently. When I first came to the board I was relaxing every 6 weeks religiously. Now I'm up to about 11 weeks. Taking baby steps. I can hardly believe I wait that long now. I would just recommend making sure your hair isn't tangling to badly which can lead to breakage and just watch for any signs of breakage and you should be ok. I'm going for 13 weeks next time.

YuNg

why would you be worried? lol me myself personally would love to have soft managable hair with less kink. So cornrows will look neater and silkier. i had my girlfriend do one cornrow on the top of my head just to see what it looked like. It looked so messy and i know she can braid really good.

lunalight7

Dutchess,
I was wondering the same thing because I have been taking GNC MSM 1000mgs since late April. I added biotin in early May and saw a huge increase in growth. I am now 8.5 weeks post relaxer and I hardly see a need to retouch my relaxer. I didnt know if the growth slowed up (body now used to biotin) or if the texture of the new growth was softer and therefore less noticeable. I decided to just play it by ear, week by week, to see when I MUST get a touch-up. 8 weeks is the longest I ever waited and usually, by that time, I had a serious fro under my straight hair!! I just washed yesterday w/ minimal hair in the comb, plus I hardly comb throughout the week...so I suggest we wait and see.....

karezone

Is it okay to dump the contents of the MSM capsule in orange juice?

jd_bdfly

Duchess, what's your hair type? Just curious cause I'm wondering if there are any 4A/Bs who notice significant softening of new growth using MSM.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Duchess, what's your hair type? Just curious cause I'm wondering if there are any 4A/Bs who notice significant softening of new growth using MSM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question !

nita4

I'm a 4a/b and when I was taking MSM I noticed my new growth was softer and came in little ringlets. I stopped taking because my feet begin to cramp up.

Dutchess

Hi everyone, I am worried only because this is still new to me. Initially I didn't even know that MSM had benefits for hair - I was just taking it for my hand. I've come so far in my hair care process and results that I don't want to do anything to hinder it. My hair type is either a 3a or 3b. Thank you guys for responding and helping me out. From all of your positive advice I think I'll go another couple of weeks, then I'm going to do a re-touch. Instead of 8-10 weeks I know that I can stretch it out to 14-16 weeks. I'm no longer worried, now I'm convinced. Thanks again

nita4

Dutchess, when I first started this hair journey and I went to buy vitamins, the sales lady told me that MSM would definately change your hair. She didn't explain way and I was too embarrassed to ask at the time because my head was jacked. You should be okay, just "listen" to your hair.

Dutchess

Thank you Nita4, I truly appreciate all the support that I've gotten here. I did a little research on MSM and everything seems all good. I hope everyone else who tries it will have the same positive results that I have.