Wrapping Natural Hair

Quailbird

Quick question.
So I rollerset my natural hair for the first time and I can tell that it's not going to be very straight :ohwell:, particularly at the roots. So my question is since I don't want to flat iron or blowdry the roots, will wrapping it help straighten it out any? In other words, does wrapping natural hair do anything?

Kneechay

yeah, i do it.

Try wrapping it in saran wrap first and sitting under a dryer for like 15 min. It gets a silkier wrap, believe me. I was skeptical initially, but it does work. after, I'd re-wrap with my satin scarf overnight and by morning, the wrap is silky and soft

Quailbird

yeah, i do it.

Try wrapping it in saran wrap first and sitting under a dryer for like 15 min. It gets a silkier wrap, believe me. I was skeptical initially, but it does work. after, I'd re-wrap with my satin scarf overnight and by morning, the wrap is silky and soft

Will this work after sitting under the dryer for a rollerset or does it have to be on wet hair? My plan was to sit under the dryer for an hour to an hour and a half then take the rollers out, apply some olive oil and then wrap.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Check You Tube. The ladies there know their styles. I've seen it done, but I believe you have to roller set or flat iron to get it strait. You can't wrap natural hair without a style to stretch it first. At least, that's as far as I know.:rolleyes::lachen:

RayRayFurious

Will this work after sitting under the dryer for a rollerset or does it have to be on wet hair? My plan was to sit under the dryer for an hour to an hour and a half then take the rollers out, apply some olive oil and then wrap.

Yes! It's often called a "silk wrap" as well and most ladies, relaxed and natural, do it after a rollerset. Do a search for it on Youtube. There are tons of helpful videos.

I've tried it before (on relaxed hair) to make my new growth straight after a rollerset and it worked great.

zamaih

Hmmm it might make it a little smoother, but I don't think your roots will be anywhere near as straight as if you flat ironed or blow dried them. Plus you run the risk of taking the curls out and if you didnt do a good job with smoothing your hair on the rollers, it won't be straight. I made this mistake before and my hair looked like a wack blowdry job. Try a ponytail rollerset to get your roots a little straighter than if you just did a regular rollerset.

Example here:

http://astrofashionista.blogspot.com/2010/07/roller-set-on-natural-hair-success.html