you can grow long hair!!!!!!!

lila_baby

This is a very useful thread. like a week ago a friend of mine told me my hair was getting long and I got so happy but then I started fotki stalking & got upset that although it is longer I can't seem to get these layers out and I'm still sooo far from my goal.
Also I noticed so split ends and was reluctant to trim because I didn't want to lose length.
But then I stopped myself and remembered my hair just over a year ago- crispy, jacked, thinning and I wouldn't wash it because when it got wet it just pulverized; when I combed it (which I tried to avoid doing) it would just come out in chunks.

Now my hair is soo full, soft and so versatile that it behaves well with almost any conditioner; I can comb and comb and lose very few hairs!
And just this morning my sis was flat ironing my hair and says, 'what have you done to your hair it's getting so thick'.

I want the length but if I just keep on doing what I am doing now I wil get there but I am going to enjoy the journey getting there.

Thanks to everybody on this board!

DivaD04

great post...ita!
for me i was like this for years as well, but being relaxed damn near all my life. I lived for short hair styles cuz subconcieously i thought i would never have long hair. my hair would always stay just as hard and brittle like your's memee bone dry and all, but what was weird is that everytime i would cut n relax my hair it'll grow back he//a quick, my fam would say your hair grew back quick or i'm the one who can "grow sum hair" but what's the point of growing hair if it's just going to stay dry and break off right? so up until last year, i've was like it is time to grow long healthy hair, while giving up the relaxers (Dec 5, 2007) and BC (Jan 19, 2008), memee, I am slowly but surely growing healthy hair. another thing i hear, not on here tho but from folks i kow, they would say, "I need to get a relaxer, I can't go without one b/c my scalp is too tender for that...ya'll know those sore scalp stories...ooo, that was me until I started using poos with moisture, my scalp wasn't sore anymore. In fact, for me I have been sore free for a year now, so definitely applying the right products to our hair as well as our scalp...our heads will thank us in the end, hey i can't wait to reach my first goal ya'll.

memee your thread rocks, i can relate to it.
hey take off that violin your not play'n any sad songs for us, folks who enter your thread is either been there or is there and need a way to overcome this ever dreadding obstacle:yep:

just think memee
for every story written, it's waiting to be told, and for every story told is one to be overcame.

memee1978

great post...ita!
for me i was like this for years as well, but being relaxed damn near all my life. I lived for short hair styles cuz subconcieously i thought i would never have long hair. my hair would always stay just as hard and brittle like your's memee bone dry and all, but what was weird is that everytime i would cut n relax my hair it'll grow back he//a quick, my fam would say your hair grew back quick or i'm the one who can "grow sum hair" but what's the point of growing hair if it's just going to stay dry and break off right? so up until last year, i've was like it is time to grow long healthy hair, while giving up the relaxers (Dec 5, 2007) and BC (Jan 19, 2008), memee, I am slowly but surely growing healthy hair. another thing i hear, not on here tho but from folks i kow, they would say, "I need to get a relaxer, I can't go without one b/c my scalp is too tender for that...ya'll know those sore scalp stories...ooo, that was me until I started using poos with moisture, my scalp wasn't sore anymore. In fact, for me I have been sore free for a year now, so definitely applying the right products to our hair as well as our scalp...our heads will thank us in the end, hey i can't wait to reach my first goal ya'll.

memee your thread rocks, i can relate to it.
hey take off that violin your not play'n any sad songs for us, folks who enter your thread is either been there or is there and need a way to overcome this ever dreadding obstacle:yep:

just think memee
for every story written, it's waiting to be told, and for every story told is one to be overcame.
thank you....my main cocern is for woman every where to unite together to find a common solution.we can grow our hair.black is beautiful.black is strong.ill be posting more ifo on here and my fotki album.i have 2 fotki albums.the first one has lot of info...the seconone im working on info. ill posting here too.:rolleyes:

soonergirl

memee what a wonderful thread!! you definitely are inspiring a lot of us, thank you!! thanks for the ebook! and YES ladies we can all have the hair of our dreams!!!

Dwayne

Yes,

I too believe most women can grown their hair long. As a matter of fact I've established a website to assist women with growing their hair http://www.blackhairgrowthtechniques.com b/c I've helped thousands of women do EXCATLY that.

I believe its a matter of getting the correct information (which is soooooooo key here, because there is soooo much misinformation out there and online it takes forever to find out what works (and what doesn't) for you and applying it.

You need the CORRECT diagonsis, be able to address and arrest the problem and then you'll correct it. Then doing whatever you are doing correctly, do that all over again!

The hardest part is 'discovering' what has your hair in the condition it is in in the first place.

Dwayne

memee1978

Yes,

I too believe most women can grown their hair long. As a matter of fact I've established a website to assist women with growing their hair http://www.blackhairgrowthtechniques.com b/c I've helped thousands of women do EXCATLY that.

I believe its a matter of getting the correct information (which is soooooooo key here, because there is soooo much misinformation out there and online it takes forever to find out what works (and what doesn't) for you and applying it.

You need the CORRECT diagonsis, be able to address and arrest the problem and then you'll correct it. Then doing whatever you are doing correctly, do that all over again!

The hardest part is 'discovering' what has your hair in the condition it is in in the first place.

Dwayne
ive signed up to your site.thanks dwaine.!!!!!much love.check out my fotki sometimes!!!!!!
thanks again for the web site and your information!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Dwayne

ive signed up to your site.thanks dwaine.!!!!!much love.check out my fotki sometimes!!!!!!
thanks again for the web site and your information!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for signing up! I've got some great game for you all to soak up!.

I looooooove befores and afters...it shows progress <<<< I'm about that! I don't have any hair, but I can post photos of my work in the salon quick befores and afters.

I appreciate the luv and support and I promise not to disappoint you,

God Bless,
Dwayne :grin:

DivaD04

your wc memee, i'ma check your fotki out. i love progress pics. for some reason i can not get my my uploads up on my fotki for my journey but I'll eventually get around to that one of these days.

memee1978

your wc memee, i'ma check your fotki out. i love progress pics. for some reason i can not get my my uploads up on my fotki for my journey but I'll eventually get around to that one of these days.
it took me some time to learn how to do it too.but im learning something new everyday!!!!!!!:lachen::rolleyes:

nikia

This is a great and very encouraging thread. As someone who is just starting to learn to take care of their hair, it's very encouraging to read this post. This journey to healthy hair can be :wallbash: but hearing encouragement from others really helps. I'm so glad I found this forum.

Dwayne

dwane,whats the longest hair youve seen on a woman of color> very curious!!!!:rolleyes:

Hey memee,

Real hair- down to the knee level. Fake hair...humm...now that I think about it, I've never seen fake hair that long. But, yeah, real hair on a black woman, knee level. :grin:

D

CurlyMoo

For now on Im really gonna Focus on Health!NOT THE LENGTH!
i know its possible for anyone to grow there hair long but i rather do it the healthy way:yep:
Im really Ready To make a Change:grin:

I agree! :yep: After washing my hair last night, my hair was tangled, matted and when I combed it there was a lot of breakage. :ohwell: I am going to cut those tangled damaged ends and focus on healthy hair. I am still new at this regimen and often have doubts but I will know if I'm on the right path in December.

bbdgirl

we all have to incourage each other.a lot of stylist knows how to style hair,but not many know how to trat hair....i mean....also the infomation out here about our hair is not all 100 percent true.we can grow our hair!!!!!!!!!!!the media has been making money off of us,so that we can believe we cant grow long hair...thats why they make wigs...etc....nothing is wrong with wigs...i have one..its short with highlites......my main thing is there not giving us suffient infomation so that we can better take care of our hair....the girl on this bord proves to us we can grow our hair!!!!!!!we just have to find different ways of keeping it from drying out and breaking......i want us all to come together,short and long....and no hair at all.................we come together to find a comon solution.we dont need to buy all these products...we dont need to keep giving them our money....lets change our health,and eating habbits....find naturalk products that work.......take vitamins for the body......our foods lack all the nutrients we need these days..................:rolleyes:
Alot of really good points...worth thinking about

Healthb4Length

I agree with you. When I first joined LHCF, I was so anxious about my hair getting long. I was always messing with my hair, checking the length. Once I started just focusing on the health of my hair. The length came. You hit it on the nail. Don't buy into everything and don't jump on every wagon. Stick with products that you know works and you'll do fine. I'm still using the same regimen I used when I first joined. I love your last sentence. You WILL have the hair of yours dreams, if you focus, have faith, and is patient.:yep:

That is my Mantra for 2008 and I'm sticking with it too. Love the hair journey even the setbacks...you'll learn something from it I promise you:yep:

Healthb4Length

I agree! :yep: After washing my hair last night, my hair was tangled, matted and when I combed it there was a lot of breakage. :ohwell: I am going to cut those tangled damaged ends and focus on healthy hair. I am still new at this regimen and often have doubts but I will know if I'm on the right path in December.

CurlyMoo, you're on the right track girl. It's good that you're being accountable so early on. You're hair will thank you for it and you'll reach your goals sooner than you realize.:yep:

Healthb4Length

Definitely my perspective. The paranoia was doing me in..terrified to comb my hair for fear of losing a millimeter of it, refusing to trim...my reward was a tangled web of hair which had never knotted before but recently started. I've come to my senses now and comb my hair gently once in a while, sticking to tried and true products/methods. I realize I'm not in a race so I'm not constantly checking for length anymore..it'll come. I know I can grow my hair long but what is the use when it breaks, knots, tangles...healthy hair will not do any of that craziness.

See that statement right there is so true. I was so caught up in getting to a certain lenght by a certain time that I went about it all wrong. I saw others who had seemingly fast hair growth and I was stalled about between APL and BSL for a year and a half holding on to some raggedy ends...not cute. I came to my senses (actually the stylist cut it for me...I was ticked off:rolleyes:) and I felt so much better and my hair looked so healthy! The Lenght will come, I just have to remind myself to be patient, this ain't no race this is a lifetime of healthy habits!

memee1978

Hey memee,

Real hair- down to the knee level. Fake hair...humm...now that I think about it, I've never seen fake hair that long. But, yeah, real hair on a black woman, knee level. :grin:

D
wow!!!!!!!!thats amazing.i cant wait till your web site starts.its amazing to know that more woman are growing their hair really long.i have another question dwaine.i would like to wear my hair down more,but i hear its best to keep it pined up.whats your intake on that.do we really have to wear protective styles all the time?:rolleyes:

Mahalialee4

So tell me> What is unique about this hair care that contributes to the long hair outcomes that ladies are looking for? Since I do not live in the States, I would like more info. Anyone on this forum that has had success with these techniques etc. Thanks.

memee1978

[/b][/color][/i]

See that statement right there is so true. I was so caught up in getting to a certain lenght by a certain time that I went about it all wrong. I saw others who had seemingly fast hair growth and I was stalled about between APL and BSL for a year and a half holding on to some raggedy ends...not cute. I came to my senses (actually the stylist cut it for me...I was ticked off:rolleyes:) and I felt so much better and my hair looked so healthy! The Lenght will come, I just have to remind myself to be patient, this ain't no race this is a lifetime of healthy habits!
be brave and strong....when the hair is healthy,length will follow.it seems like the hair is growing faster,but to a degreee,its not....when the hair breaks as it grows you dont see length,verses someone with healthy hair,growth seems more faster because its noticable....remember when it gets extremly healthy,there wont be a need for cutting the hair for splits.of course,you have to train your hair to get in a healthy state....the first step is always hard....but after it,your beautiful healthy hair will turn heads,no matter the length!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gppd luck and great progress!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Fine 4s

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was thinking about the women on here who think they can't grow long hair because they compare themselves to other women who have grown hair very long in a short period of time. I noticed that those women tend to have permed hair (I haven't met a natural woman who claimed her hair cannot grow YET). So I wondered, if all options have been exhausted (protein treatments, protective styling, frequent trims, frequent treatmens or visits to the hairstylist, derm or trich visits, vitamins, growth aids, blood tests, weaves, extensions etc.), can it be possible that the perm is the culprit? Maybe the perm just ain't for you so make the decision. At that point I would have to reassess what is more important to me and let it be, perm and health or length and health? Perhaps if one transitioned or BC, they could achieve greater results? I might have been in that categoy. Although, I had some length while permed, I can't say I ever had my current length AND my permed hair was never AS healthy as it is today.

I know this one women who when permed, her hair hovered at NL. She is now completely natural and although she does have a slow growth rate she is now, APL!

What do you all think?

tapioca_pudding

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was thinking about the women on here who think they can't grow long hair because they compare themselves to other women who have grown hair very long in a short period of time. I noticed that those women tend to have permed hair (I haven't met a natural woman who claimed her hair cannot grow YET). So I wondered, if all options have been exhausted (protein treatments, protective styling, frequent trims, frequent treatmens or visits to the hairstylist, derm or trich visits, vitamins, growth aids, blood tests, weaves, extensions etc.), can it be possible that the perm is the culprit? Maybe the perm just ain't for you so make the decision. At that point I would have to reassess what is more important to me and let it be, perm and health or length and health? Perhaps if one transitioned or BC, they could achieve greater results? I might have been in that categoy. Although, I had some length while permed, I can't say I ever had my current length AND my permed hair was never AS healthy as it is today.

I know this one women who when permed, her hair hovered at NL. She is now completely natural and although she does have a slow growth rate she is now, APL!

What do you all think?
I think that, with the options you listed (bolded), there shouldn't really be a huge problem w/ retaining length even with relaxed hair. :yep:

Hair will grow no matter WHAT you do to it once it pops outta ya scalp. It's how you care for it/retain it that amounts to what length your hair will be. :yep:

I think alot of people confuse growing hair with retaining length. Two very different things.

Evalina1

Definitely my perspective. The paranoia was doing me in..terrified to comb my hair for fear of losing a millimeter of it, refusing to trim...my reward was a tangled web of hair which had never knotted before but recently started. I've come to my senses now and comb my hair gently once in a while, sticking to tried and true products/methods. I realize I'm not in a race so I'm not constantly checking for length anymore..it'll come. I know I can grow my hair long but what is the use when it breaks, knots, tangles...healthy hair will not do any of that craziness.
I agree with you!

Fine 4s

I think that, with the options you listed (bolded), there shouldn't really be a huge problem w/ retaining length even with relaxed hair. :yep:

Hair will grow no matter WHAT you do to it once it pops outta ya scalp. It's how you care for it/retain it that amounts to what length your hair will be. :yep:

I think alot of people confuse growing hair with retaining length. Two very different things.

Looking past the difference between growing hair and retaining (that's lesson 101 on LHCF).

For those who HAVE exhausted ALL options (assuming they have been on the board of years and know HOW to care for hair) yet, do not get the results they desire, isn't it possible or isn't it time to explore the possibility that the chemical treatment may be a hindrance to growing their hair to the desired length? (meaning the hair grows but breaks quickly).

baddison

natural for good
This is a great thread!

Dwayne, I signed up for your website!! Looking forward to wonderful information.:yawn:

ivyQuietstorm

Thanks for the post and the encouragement. It is easy to get discouraged on this journey because it's not one that happens over night. I have to keep reminding myself that the race is not given to the swift, but the one who endures. Patience Grasshopper!! I want to wake up at BSL and it's not going to happen that way. My goals are set and I'm working toward them. One day at a time.

Thanks again!
Ivy:yep:

chicacanella

Yeah, that is how I feel. I really don't even care to check for length as often as I used too. I only do it when it seems that my hair has grown a bunch and there is a significant difference than last time. I can tell because the length of my pony tail seems to get longer and also thicker too!

Just worry about the health as far as split ends and keeping it moisturized, the length has to come.

memee1978

Yeah, that is how I feel. I really don't even care to check for length as often as I used too. I only do it when it seems that my hair has grown a bunch and there is a significant difference than last time. I can tell because the length of my pony tail seems to get longer and also thicker too!

Just worry about the health as far as split ends and keeping it moisturized, the length has to come.
i agree 100 percent.its health should be the main focus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Healthb4Length

Ok so I've let up on a lot of my strict rules and I'm actually going to the salon now. Only once a month for a rollerset and wrap and for an extreme protein treatment after my relaxers. So far everything is working ok. I've found a stylist who is good, LISTENS to my requests and is NOT scissor happy! YAY:yay:! However I did notice when I went to the salon that there are 2 types of clients, the ones with healthy hair and the ones with thin chewed up/see through hair. I noticed the ones with healthy hair only got rollersets and wrap, the latter got rollersets and opted to get their entire hair blow dried with the brush (not just the roots) and also used the marcel irons:ohwell:. Well we know what doing that over and over can you to our hair:nono:, when the asked if I wanted a blowout after my rollerset I politely declined and had them wrap me instead. I know that some times stylists get a bad wrap (no pun intended) but I've always believe that you can't but the blame solely on the stylist. We must be proactive and EDUCATE ourselves and know what works for our specific hair types and what does not. I had a talk with my stylist and explained my goals with her and we came up with a plan of action to grow my hair healthy and beautiful, she knows what I like and what I do not, and if I do not like something you best believe I'll speak up instead of being sorry later on.