"You just don't have growing hair"....

MrsWatson

Hello all,

I am a newbie, but i've been lurking since 2004! :blush: Finally though, I have paid my dues and here I am as a full fledged member! This question has been on my mind for the past month or two now and since you all are so well versed and knowledgeable about hair growth, i figured this would be the perfect chance for me to get some feedback.

My older sister who graduated from Dudley in NC a few years back has pretty much been my only go to gal for hair issues. As a child, I never had really LONG hair. It might get a few inches past shoulder length, but never really anything astonishing. Anyhoo, I was telling my sister that I was going to pay my $5.00 to the LHCF so that i could get really involved in the posting and challenges, etc., and she laughed at me! She then proceeded to tell me that I didn't have growing hair. Now, I know that genetics have a lot to do with your hair growth, but I always assumed that if you took proper care of your hair, it would continue to grow. Is my assumption wrong? Could it be true that I just don't have "growing" hair and no matter how healthy I keep it, a few inches past the shoulder is as long as i will be able to go?? Any feedback you all can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually a very optimistic person and I try to think positively about everything, but i'm not so sure right now. Thanks in advance, ladies!

No that's not true at all. I too have had hair either SL or a few inches past basicly all my life. Now it's between APL and BSL. I also believe if you take care of your hair properly it will grow.

Thanks so much for your response. It gives me so much hope to hear your own firsthand experience.

Don't worry. Your hair continues to grow. And if you take good care of it, you'll be able to retain the length.

I don't believe that what your sister said is true. If you have new growth then your hair is growing. I think that was causes hair to stay one length is the way we treat our hair. The chemicals we use, heat damage, and lack of knowledge when handling our hair. Also bad practices from stylist and all the myths that surround our communities about hair care. Even the products that are marketed towards us can be harmful as well. It's not a matter of growing hair, but keeping and retaining what we grow. And by the way welcome!! Your definitely in the right place.

If you have been lurking since 04 you should now what the real deal is. Don't be discouraged by those that just can't see the truth as you know it. Do your thing!

Hello all,

I am a newbie, but i've been lurking since 2004! :blush: Finally though, I have paid my dues and here I am as a full fledged member! This question has been on my mind for the past month or two now and since you all are so well versed and knowledgeable about hair growth, i figured this would be the perfect chance for me to get some feedback.

My older sister who graduated from Dudley in NC a few years back has pretty much been my only go to gal for hair issues. As a child, I never had really LONG hair. It might get a few inches past shoulder length, but never really anything astonishing. Anyhoo, I was telling my sister that I was going to pay my $5.00 to the LHCF so that i could get really involved in the posting and challenges, etc., and she laughed at me! She then proceeded to tell me that I didn't have growing hair. Now, I know that genetics have a lot to do with your hair growth, but I always assumed that if you took proper care of your hair, it would continue to grow. Is my assumption wrong? Could it be true that I just don't have "growing" hair and no matter how healthy I keep it, a few inches past the shoulder is as long as i will be able to go?? Any feedback you all can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually a very optimistic person and I try to think positively about everything, but i'm not so sure right now. Thanks in advance, ladies!

NO IT'S NOT TRUE!!!

I hate when people say things like that.:wallbash:

Please don't give up. If anything use her comment as a motivation.

That's why i don't tell my friends about this site. I told one of my friends and she said a hair forum was stupid and all I needed to do to grow my hair was trim it every 8 weeks:rolleyes: All people will do is discourage you.

Genetics might determine how long your hair gets BUT if you arent taking good care of your hair to begin with, how will you know how long your hair will get?

think about it this way. . .
1) fully relaxed hair NEVER reverts
2) if you see something that ISN'T bone straight coming from your scalp, it is NEW hair/new growth
3) you would only get relaxers when you saw new growth right?
4) so obviously your hair is GROWING. its just about keeping it on your head.

most people don't have a problem growing (because in the past they have ALWAYS "needed" a relaxer to "control/tame" their "naps"), they have a problem retaining. . . so if you are seeing new growth BUT also burning your ends off & seeing hair in the sink, AND you hair is staying the same length, you have to acknowledge that it it is GROWING the length just isn't changing because for ever bit you grow, u relax & then burn off or break

Last edited:
Honey, all hair is growing hair as long as you take care of it properly. Don't listen to your sister, she's the one misinformed.

lol, you all make perfect sense. I think internally i knew that what she said was false, but being that she has been my hair guru for nearly my entire life, it kinda struck a bad cord with me, which i why i decided to share with you all. Thanks for all your responses though, it means a lot to me and it definitely gives me hope! You ladies are awesome!:grin::grin:

think about it this way. . .
1) fully relaxed hair NEVER reverts
2) if you see something that ISN'T bone straight coming from your scalp, it is NEW hair/new growth
3) you would only get relaxers when you saw new growth right?
4) so obviously your hair is GROWING. its just about keeping it on your head.

most people don't have a problem growing (because in the past they have ALWAYS "needed" a relaxer to "control/tame" their "naps"), they have a problem retaining. . . so if you are seeing new growth BUT also burning your ends off & seeing hair in the sink, AND you hair is staying the same length, you have to acknowledge that it it is GROWING the length just isn't changing because for ever bit you grow, u relax & then burn off or break

I agree with this entire post. Take care of your hair; find your staples, be consistent with your regimen, easy on the direct heat, proctect your ends and enjoy your progress!!

Happy hair growing!!

no offense to her. . . but worst part is she's a graduate, which means someday she will be someone's stylist. . . :ohwell:

years ago, i would have cried if my stylist told me that I didn't have "growing hair". . . now I would probably say "shush, step away from the rum sister. most, if not ALL hair GROWS"

She is a stylist!!!! Well, she only does a few select heads now that she has her own shop...but either way, she is working on someones head on a weekly basis!

Not to bash on hairstylist, but not all of them are truly knowledgeable about general hair care. I grew my hair from neck length to currently brastrap length, so it is possible. I never in my life had hair this long either. You just do you and I bet the tables will turn and your sister will start turning to you for advice on hair :grin:

no offense to her. . . but worst part is she's a graduate, which means someday she will be someone's stylist. . . :ohwell:

years ago, i would have cried if my stylist told me that I didn't have "growing hair". . . now I would probably say "shush, step away from the rum sister. most, if not ALL hair GROWS"

I used to be the same way until one day I was reading a post on this forum and someone said to look at your stylist hair. If they don't take care of their hair how do you expect them to take care of yours. I had my hair cut in a cute Halle berry style and my stylist was having me come back every two weeks for a relaxer:blush: I looke at her head the same bleached blond do slicked down with gel everytime I went to her. Needless to say I got my hair cut real short and stop going to a stylist

It's so disheartening to hear "trained" people make comments like this!! If your hair was not growing, why would you need to get relaxer touch ups? They don't call those new waves "new gorwth" for nothing!!!!

Sista, don't get discouraged. Your hair (along with everyone else's) DOES grow. Joining LHCF will help you determine how to retain that growth so that you can reach your goals. The key is hair health.

There will be a lot of nay-sayers on your journey, but it is worth it in the end. HHG!!!

Scientifically speaking, everybody has "growing" appendages: Even after we die, we have "growing hair" so I'm just not sure where your sister got this terminology from. ANywhoo, of course your hair will grow, or else, you need to see a medical professional and join the wonderful club of "home-hair-screw-the-stylist-she-be-cutting-all-my-dang-hair-off-anyway-care" club, you're proud member number 50,000...welcome.

Scientifically speaking, everybody has "growing" appendages: Even after we die, we have "growing hair" so I'm just not sure where your sister got this terminology from. ANywhoo, of course your hair will grow, or else, you need to see a medical professional and join the wonderful club of "home-hair-screw-the-stylist-she-be-cutting-all-my-dang-hair-off-anyway-care" club, you're proud member number 50,000...welcome.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Yes, you hair is growing. Just be careful with it, read, and learn what to do to retain your inches. Good luck to you!!:yep:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I'm beginning to think this is the case for me. I will see at the end of the year if this is true. Just like baldness is due to genetics I would think hair length is tied as well.

Here's why I say this. I've never done the hair fads. I've never colored, bleached, fried it, tight braids, whatever. Before I really tried getting to to grow I've have shoulder length all my life. Only once in my early 20's did I have my hair cut in a short style. My routine was wash and condition once a week, press once a week (before I started relaxing) My hair has never been severely damaged as I can tell. No chewed up ends etc. So if my hair wasn't in bad condition why had it been shoulder length for ever? My short cut did grow back but to the same shoulder length. Only in the last two years has my hair reached a little past shoulder.

Maybe shoulder is all I can get. I'm not giving up but time will tell. Maybe I will be eating my words in the months to come I hope this is the case.

Last edited:
I don't believe that what your sister said is true. If you have new growth then your hair is growing. I think that was causes hair to stay one length is the way we treat our hair. The chemicals we use, heat damage, and lack of knowledge when handling our hair. Also bad practices from stylist and all the myths that surround our communities about hair care. Even the products that are marketed towards us can be harmful as well. It's not a matter of growing hair, but keeping and retaining what we grow. And by the way welcome!! Your definitely in the right place.

What she said... :)

Girl definitely don't listen to that. :nono: Not saying that she doesn't mean well but...In the past my hair would never go too much past SL. Then I started researching healthy hair. I found Wanakee's product/system first & with it I was able to grow my hair full BSL. That was the longest my hair had been in my life. Though BSL/MBL is enough for me, I'm going to try for WL this time around just to know that it is attainable by me. :yep:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I'm beginning to think this is the case for me. I will see at the end of the year if this is true. Just like baldness is due to genetics I would think hair length is tied as well.

Here's why I say this. I've never done the hair fads. I've never colored, bleached, fried it, tight braids, whatever. Before I really tried getting to to grow I've have shoulder length all my life. Only once in my early 20's did I have my hair cut in a short style. My routine was wash and condition once a week, press once a week (before I started relaxing) My hair has never been severely damaged as I can tell. No chewed up ends etc. So if my hair wasn't in bad condition why had it been shoulder length for ever? My short cut did grow back but to the same shoulder length. Only in the last two years has my hair reached a little past shoulder.

Maybe shoulder is all I can get. I'm not giving up but time will tell. Maybe I will be eating my words in the months to come I hope this is the case.
How many times have you had your hair trimmed? I feel that when place anything on genetics you need to analyze your entire genetic make up. My hair I thought was stuck at neck length, but I also have women in my family with long thick hair and vice versa. Also it has been said that shoulder length to APL is the longest progression. It seems like it took me forever. Are you doing any protective styles? using heat?

How many times have you had your hair trimmed? I feel that when place anything on genetics you need to analyze your entire genetic make up. My hair I thought was stuck at neck length, but I also have women in my family with long thick hair and vice versa. Also it has been said that shoulder length to APL is the longest progression. It seems like it took me forever. Are you doing any protective styles? using heat?

I agree and how is your diet?

i always assumed this even though u ladies are all saying differently.

some parts of my hair just doesnt grow past a certain length. i do think that some peoples hair just cant grow past SL even though you take care of it. and noone in my family has hair past shoulder length aside from my grandma who has a lil past apl length hair but she is mixed and im sure thats the reason why so i do believe genetics plays a role.

anyway, just because your hair doesnt grow past a certain length doesnt mean it wont look nice still. i used to want long hair until i realized i just wont have it so now i just want my hair to look healthy.

I trim every now and then. This month I will start dusting once a month. I haven't used heat in over two years and even before that I didn't use it every day, maybe once a week. As far as my diet goes I don't eat a lot of junk food. I don't eat a lot of red meat. I admit I don't drink as much water as I should I have to force myself to drink it. My diet is not bad but it can be better and I'm working on that.

Welcome! Your hair looks really healthy in the photo. We all have growing hair. As long as we are living our hair will grow just like our nails unless there is a medical problem which prevents our hair from growing. Our goal is to keep as much of it as possible on our heads and that's where the board and good hair care techniques come in. So keep your head up, think positive, take care of your hair with a good solid simple regimen, get involved in the challenges and your already healthy looking hair will grow to long lengths. Then go back to your sister and share some of the knowledge. By that time she'll be asking you for tips anyway.

I trim every now and then. This month I will start dusting once a month. I haven't used heat in over two years and even before that I didn't use it every day, maybe once a week. As far as my diet goes I don't eat a lot of junk food. I don't eat a lot of red meat. I admit I don't drink as much water as I should I have to force myself to drink it. My diet is not bad but it can be better and I'm working on that.

OK so you don"t have much to show in you'r photo album but that will change. The one photo said you used Mazani butter blend, do you have the other product? Shampoo& conditioners? tell us a little bit about your hair and what you use.

Back