growing out damaged hair

beana3

ok, i've been copmplaining about this spot, well actually the whole back right section on my hair and i've never really said anything positive about it! (My newest hair growth technique is to say positive thing about my hair.. sad, yes it is!) Anyways, its growing out!! my hair was at its longest last year 18inches, but i had to cut off damage and all that and ended up with 13inches. At one point (when my damaged spot was at its worst) my hair was 2inches, now its about 4,5 inches and its growing out, but the ends are still horrible in that area. Ogh and i 4got to mention that i no longer have hair soo weak it pops from the root and breaks to the touch!!!1 I'm hoping my success will continue... after i gain some more growth i'm going for a 3inch cut and maybe i'll be damage free!

mahogani

Hi beana that's a great attitude to have it's stressfull to worry about anything but you have to have a postive attitude about it and you will see results, with patience and a postive outlook you will see good luck and thanks for sharing. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

honeycomb719

I too had to learn to speak positively about my hair, it was part of my new years resolution /images/graemlins/grin.gif I know I'm pitiful /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

beana3,

I'm glad that things seem to be getting better for you. Your attitude is also great. It's amazing what a positive attitude can do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

beana, how large is the spot that you're talking about? many years ago, i had a spot on the top of my head where ALL of the hair broke off. it was about the size of a quarter. i didn't even notice it until the hair started growing back. it felt like peach fuzz. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

when that happened, i was more panicked because i didn't know how it happened. i wasn't really concerned about it growing back because i knew it would... eventually. anyway, i treated that hair separately from the rest of my hair. what i mean is i would do my hair, then i would deal with that spot. i'd trim all over... then trim that spot. i'd give it extra care.

if i were you, i wouldn't cut all my other hair to be even with that section. i would do maintenance trims on all of your hair INCLUDING that area. i know it seems backwards to trim ends on already shorter hair. think of it like this though: it's already shorter. let it be shorter and healthy. eventually you will have to deal with the fact that those ends are "horrible." rather than eventually doing a 3" cut to be damage free, i'd do it now and be damage free. keep pampering that area until it catches up.

let me know if this makes sense. it's REALLY early here so i'm honestly not sure if it does... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

adrienne

keylargo

beana, i'm growing out damaged hair too. i have a much longer ways to go than you. how long have you been growing out? how are you wearing your hair while it grows out?

i think i'm starting to see an increase in growth. i don't want to get too excited yet but i think the vitamins are finally kickin in. i'll know for sure when i redo the braids again in a few weeks.

beana3

adrienne i THINK i got your post, umm are you saying NOT to trim to whole head 3inches, but trim graudually AND trim the damaged spot even though its short?????? if so, i get what your saying. The only thing is my spot is a whole SECTION of hair about 3x3 inches. I was very reluctant to trim that opa part b/c i only have like 15strands or so of "long" hair at that point, i mean its really damaged badly. I think trimming it in moderation might do some good though, thanks for the advice adrienne.

Keylargo: Well i've been growing it out for a while now, since september it was at its worse. i would say like 4months now. so i'm thinking that by summer it should have grown out to the point i can wear my hair out again w/ confidence. As far as styling i been wearing a bun every day, and braidouts in a bun, nothing special. I do this so that i only comb once ot twice a week.
Another thing i've been doing lately is taking Blackstrap molasses. I taken one tbsp every day for the past few weeks and i think its having a positive impact on my hair growth. I'm iron deficient (and i dont like taking iron pills) so i need to take the molasses anyway. Again im not too sure this is actually whats helping, but its worth a try.

LondonDiva

Good Luck on your hair spot Beana.
I might have to try the Molasses tip. I haven't been taking any iron in a long time, and is probably one of the causes for me being so tired all the time.

adrienne0914

yes, that's what i meant. whew! i was worried that i was kinda confusing. lol!

okay, i didn't know your spot was that big. that's a hard call to make. i just want to encourage you to correct anything gradually vs. big chops. as long as you're taking care of it, you can even it all out over time. i'd just HATE to see you start from square one... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

please keep me posted on what you do, ok? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

beana3

thanks adrienne. I know, if it was smaller it would be less noticeable. by summer im hoping to see lots of progress, i will trim that area though (just a bit) to ensure health. your s-curl tip should have me retaining length in no time! thanks again.