You ladies are the best!

Connie

While reading the threads from the ladies who went back to relaxing, I read each post, searching for one who would accuse them of "giving in to white people's standards of beauty" (as is often suggested on "other" boards) or harshly criticize them for their choice, accusing them of self-hate. But not one of you did this, and I was very impressed with the love, respect and admiration shown. That's true sisterlove, and it's sad that I don't see this kind of respect shown toward sisters' hair choices on other boards.

Reading the thread also has made me feel sooooo much better about my own decision to reconsider going natural--for now--because the more natural new growth I got, the more realities I had to face. I never took the time to work with my relaxed hair as far as grooming or styling (I always wore in a ponytail--being lazy). And if I have to work at being patient with my relaxed hair, where on earth would I get the patience for my natural hair? /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

The truth is, I didn't do all I could to maintain it's health in the way properly conditioning and moisturizing it. These boards have made me realize that perhaps if I had taken the time to become more knowledgeable about different types of hair products, I wouldn't suffer breakage and thinning. In recent years, I started taking too much time in between touchups and not doing enough in the way of good hair care. My diet was a culprit too. Fortunately for me, I have just enough hair growth that I could just chalk it up to stretching my relaxer a bit. When I go natural, I want to be sure that I'm willing to keep it that way or am ready to deal with pressing it, and my thickening new growth has made me realize that perhaps it's not for me right now. I don't want to cut it short and I would truly miss my longer straight hair, and I LIKE long, straight hair and I don't feel I should apologize for that.

I'm glad to have found a board where I can decide not to go natural and not get browbeaten into staying natural or judged harshly for relaxing.

kitchen_tician

Awwww, you're so sweet! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

ITA, we support each other more than our closest friends and family at times.

I also struggled with transitioning and also realized that I would spend more time and heat trying to wear my natural hair straight, since I like this style best.

The key phrase is, "Do what works best for YOU".

I also love the ladies of this board. Thanks for sharing.

swannie

I'm so glad I found this board too. Everyone here is so open and helpful! In the interest of fairness , I also blame all of you for my Nexxus addiction. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carefree

I thought the responses and support were great on those threads too. No one should ever feel ashamed about any hair decisions they may make for themselves. It's just not that serious.

SherryLove

yes. there is definitely a lot of love and support here.... /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

jasmin

I love relax and natural. I don't understand the conflict over that and that's one of the reasons I love this board.

We're definitely pro choice here when it comes to hair.

plainj

When I read those posts I cringed waiting for the bomb to drop. The bomb never came.
Yes these ladies ARE absolutely the best!!!!!

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
I love relax and natural. I don't understand the conflict over that and that's one of the reasons I love this board.

We're definitely pro choice here when it comes to hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree /images/graemlins/wink.gif