You should be so ashamed of yourself...her hair is so nappy!

levette

Your daughter's hair is beautiful. It looks well-kempt, neat, and clean and ungreasy which is the most important in my opinion. I love that school picture!

Cherokee-n-Black

If this were a friend or contemporary, I'd be shocked. It's just a fact that our grandmothers and some of our mothers are from a school that believes that straighteners (chemical and heat) were invented by us for us and should be used by us. Period. Un-relaxed, coarse-textured hair will never be "beautiful" to them, no matter how much we try to enlighten. My mom isn't a big fan of relaxers for small children, but she definitely thinks her own hair has to be straightened at the hair dresser's despite having a really nice natural. I'd love to see her wear it that way, but she refuses.

Newtogrow

She did a wonder job on her hair!!! And your hair as a child was simply delicious!

Yeah, the older generation is like that:( Especially my southern roots, I wear my hair as wild as possible when I visit GA:)

Newbie2Beauty

She did a wonder job on her hair!!! And your hair as a child was simply delicious!

Yeah, the older generation is like that:( Especially my southern roots, I wear my hair as wild as possible when I visit GA:)

:lachen:That is so funny you mentioned that because I have been rubbing it in a little lately. I recently gave the girls some Mohawks and posted the picture below to her Facebook (yes grandma has a Facebook lol) and she didn't reply back. Just having fun with her now. :lol:

Please excuse the outfits. It was a lazy Saturday lol!!

Beautytalk69

Your children are beautiful!! They look like little doll babies (feels my uterus twitch lol).
Tell grandma to chill out..and play some mafia wars on her facebook. she will be okay!

HappilyLiberal

Your DD hair is beautiful. What confuses me is not much time has gone by since the days of afros. Yet so many that lived through this have such negative things to say regarding natural kinky hair. It doesn't make sense. My mom used to have a beautiful big afro back in the day yet when I mention she should go natural she looks at me like i'm crazy. It makes no sense to me.

It doesn't surprise me. First, only a certain segment of the black population went through the Afro stage. For much of the black population back then ony those radical hppie types did the afro thing. Second, there was still a well-established requirement that black women with breeding, education, and who were looking to attract a "certain" type of husband kept their hair fried, dyed, and laid to the side.

LadyMacgyver

Thank God your daughter didn't hear that! It reminds me of the time my great grandmother called me "fat" in front of my mom and my mom lit her a$$ up!! Respect to your elders be damned she said, nobody was going to talk to her children that way! Your daughter has beautiful, thick and gorgeous hair and the rest of everybody else can get to steppin' with the bull$hit.

Good for your mom.. My aunt had the nerve to say I was a guly little thing growing but the older I got I became a beautiful woman.. I think I was more mad that hurt and she said it around other people but they ignored her. I just thought to myself she was pretty when she was younger and not she is ugly and bitter. It just seems the older people get they feel like they can say what they want to you and especially family.. That is why one of her own grandchildren cursed her out again for her mouth and she had the nerve to feel hurt and people were like he shouldn't have talked to her like that well she should have kept her mouth closed which something she can't do.. Now he don't even deal with er..

Rhetta

Your daughter is absolutely beautiful!!! It is so, so sad that we so easily fall victim to other peoples' notions of what 'good' hair is. Healthy hair is good hair! We need to stop with the stigmatizing our beautiful little girls not only with their hair, but their African features as well. It's a shame cause attitudes like this causes our daughters to burn their hair to a crisp and damage their beautiful locks because of somebody else's twisted perceptions of what's beautiful. Aaarrrrrggggg!!!

I know this type of attitude is slowly fading and I think you are doing an awesome job keeing your daughter's hair healthy and pretty.

BTW, your babies are SO precious!!! :yep:

Last edited:

likewtr4chklit

Wow, I will never cease to be amazed by the ignorance of our own!

1. your children are gorgeous
2. your daughter is talented and her hair is worthy of envy
3. you have some ignorant members of your family, but don't let that get in the way of you or your child's healthy hair journey.

Good job mom!!

likewtr4chklit

Sometimes old folks need to get checked! I think a number of them believe they can say what they want because they're old. Old does NOT equal wise, or smart for that matter.

CurlsBazillion

^^^yeah....but when I get old ima talk mad ish for the heck of it. But to the OP I know how you feel cuz down here in Ga you looked at funny if you don't have ur daughter hair slicked back and she dressed to the 9s (which she is) I think she looks really cute tho. I've definitely seen worse...waaaayyy worse.