Young adults/Singles ministries

sithembile

Does anyone serve in or participate in the singles/young adults ministry at your church? It is something we are looking to establish, but I was wondering what sort of things do you do/discuss? We would want it to be broader than just sex/relationships/marriage etc.
TIA

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I was apart of the AYM (Atherton Youth Ministry) at my church. Now I'm in to becoming an Evanglist.

We spoke alot on sex,drugs, relationships too. But we also had discussions on music and the influences it had on our society.

We also did functions outside of church, like bowling night, movie night, etc. Also, we had a artist contect for the logo on our A.Y.M T-shirts. That was alot of fun. The goal was to keep the youth busy and not out in the streets. :yep:

I hope this helps, sithembile. :wave:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I was involved in my Singles group up until I got married. I was President when I got married and I still get comments on how active we were and how good it was to the church.

We had Joy Nights with singing and dancing, steppers, and the spoken word. We loved to eat so there was always something going on with food. We had a Harvest Joy Night right before Thanksgiving, where we cook and full dinner and then had a program. We also had one for the Spring time with a Spring theme. There is so much that can be done. We had bowling night, game night, movie night. We hosted a Superbowl party to get the men involved. We hosted a trip to Six Flags and had a great time. We also put together a Single's Conference that was a Friday night and all day Saturday. I still have people coming to me about that how blessed they were.

The only thing I will suggest is that your work together as a group, that you don't get discourged when you don't have alot of participation, that you have the attitude that you are doing the Lord's work and if you only have 2 people if will still be wonderful and blessed. I say that becasue it was hard sometimes not to get discourged. I had a full board - Vice President, Secretary, Tresurer, Chapin and most of the things we did was just me, my VP and my tresure, but we drawn closer because of it.

Also people will think that the Singles Aux is a dating club, you have to stress to people that this is about God's business but a dating game.

Enjoy yourself. It is a wonderful experience and PM if you need any suggestions or help

Sweet C

We have a Young Adult/College ministry at my church that I am a part of. We have conference 1 a year, w YA/C dance, mime, drama, choir, and praise teams. Also during the school year we have college bible study on campus. Suprisingly, we don't talk a lot about sex, rlps, marriage, etc a lot. Most of what we have been dealing with has been centered around evangelism, spiritual warfare, and purifying ourselves so that each and everyday we can grow more like Christ.

We also had a lot of fellowship activites like Expressions Lounge (talent showcase), bowling, movies, plays, etc. We also do joint activites with the singles ministry and sometimes with the teens. I think that you starting this up at your church will be a blessing, and it will help show the teens how to be effective in their walk with Christ

sithembile

Thanks so much for your responses, you've given me so many ideas. I need to start praying into God's agenda for the young adults at my church and discuss things with my pastors.