Your experiences with lye and no lye relaxers

Bubblingbrownshuga

I always thought that relaxers are the same except when it comes down to if they have sodium/calcium/ or that guanidine in them, but it seems that there's even bigger differences. For instance, I've seen several women say one lye relaxer was better than another lye relaxer even though the main straightening ingredients are the same. Ladies, which type of relaxer strength is preferrable in your eyes?

How early do you prepare for the relaxer?

What steps do you take in preparation for the relaxer?

Also, has anyone had success with using:
Motions
Precise

What's so special about ORS relaxers? Do you prefer them in lye or no lye.

Thanks.

Zenobia61

BTW, my only experience has been with no-lye relaxers. I've used Optimum and I am currently using Pro-fectiv no-lye and I have never had a problem with dryness with either. I think that DC'ing and keeping your ends sealed are the keys to combatting relaxer dryness....again, are you thinking about relaxing that beautiful mane of yours???? :rolleyes:

gymfreak336

I have used both and generally, atleast for me, no lye, the calcium hydroxide kind, leave my hair drier. No lye relaxers get your hair straighter though and usually give you more processing time which is another reason why alot of self relaxers like it. The traditional box relaxer has come a long way though. More and more companies are putting a neutralizing and chelating shampoo in the boxes to remove mineral buildup and are using more technology that helps prevent the buildup in the first place or atleast lessen the severity of it. I actually relaxed last night with Soft and Beautiful Relaxer since I didn't have enough of my Hawiaan silky and the neutralizer also chelates.

Lye....I really enjoyed Mizani mild lye relaxer. The mineral buildup isn't something you have to worry about with lye relaxers but they are generally harder on the scalp. They usually give softer silkier hair though.

No mix No lye; Lithium Hydroxide....This is my favorite. For me, its the best of both worlds. It doesn't leave the mineral buildup but it doesn't irritate my scalp as easily as lye either. I like the Hawaiian silky no mix no lye relaxers. They don't have a strong smell and its cheap. I still have more processing time so it is great since I self relax but my hair is still super soft.

bellecheveux

Bubblingbrownshuga: I always thought that relaxers are the same except when it comes down to if they have sodium/calcium/ or that guanidine in them, but it seems that there's even bigger differences. For instance, I've seen several women say one lye relaxer was better than another lye relaxer even though the main straightening ingredients are the same. Ladies, which type of relaxer strength is preferrable in your eyes?

About a week before, I make sure my hair is completely detangled.

I make sure I rub some oil or Vaseline on my previously relaxed hair.

Motions (Never used)
Precise (Never used)

I used ORS Lye and it was good. Not better than Affirm, IMO.

Thanks.

Hope this helps!

Zenobia61

Would you be going for a bone-straight look or texlaxed? I think that I have heard that lye relaxers are good at getting your hair bone-straight if your scalp is not too sensitive. I am so afraid to try a lye relaxer because my scalp is so tender and burns easily.

Kiki82

I have used both...Mizani for sensitive scalp and now currently Motions Kids....

I love Motions kids only because my hair isn't so dry after the fact...plus my hair look so much thicker (don't know if that has anything to do with the relaxer though)

This is how I prep:

Clarify one week before
Shampoo w/ nexxus therape
Apply Nexxus Emgergencee for 1-2 minutes
Shampoo again w/ Nexxus therape
DC w/ keracare humecto
Rollerset

The day of relaxer:

Base scalp w/ summit....
Apply Motions Reconstructor on the ends of my hair
Relax...

I have been using Motions Kids relaxer since May 2008...I have had no problems with it.

Bubblingbrownshuga

Would you be going for a bone-straight look or texlaxed? I think that I have heard that lye relaxers are good at getting your hair bone-straight if your scalp is not too sensitive. I am so afraid to try a lye relaxer because my scalp is so tender and burns easily.

I am not going to get my hair bone straight.

glamchick84

I have used both...Mizani for sensitive scalp and now currently Motions Kids....

I love Motions kids only because my hair isn't so dry after the fact...plus my hair look so much thicker (don't know if that has anything to do with the relaxer though)

This is how I prep:

Clarify one week before
Shampoo w/ nexxus therape
Apply Nexxus Emgergencee for 1-2 minutes
Shampoo again w/ Nexxus therape
DC w/ keracare humecto
Rollerset

The day of relaxer:

Base scalp w/ summit....
Apply Motions Reconstructor on the ends of my hair
Relax...

I have been using Motions Kids relaxer since May 2008...I have had no problems with it.

hi, newbie here

base scalp w/summit....Exactly,what is that?:ohwell: i read something about using a chelating shampoo with no lye relaxers and clarifying with lye relaxers. i use no-lye lol i don't get this stuff

SoOoNY

I always thought that relaxers are the same except when it comes down to if they have sodium/calcium/ or that guanidine in them, but it seems that there's even bigger differences. For instance, I've seen several women say one lye relaxer was better than another lye relaxer even though the main straightening ingredients are the same. Ladies, which type of relaxer strength is preferrable in your eyes?

a week

Clarify and Aphogee protein treatment a week before... and Aphogee ketain and green tea spray the day before

Motions-hated it!:nono:
Precise- It was ok... nothing special

I havent used it yet however I am using ORS No Lye in Normal on Thurs for my touch up because I am self relaxingand I am texlaxed so I dont want it to process to fast. Plus alot of beautiful heads of hair on the board use it with great results

Thanks.

Good Luck in your relaxing process:yep:

sareca

I switched from no lye (Phyto) to lye (SE) because of the cost and availability of Phyto. I agree with the other ladies, my hair seems to hold moisture better with lye. The down side is the burning. I originally switched to no-lye because I had scalp burns. That never happens with no-lye. Now there are better (milder) lye formulas on the market so I haven't had an burns with SE (though my last touch-up did get hot).

It's also really easy to underprocess with lye with is a plus if you're texturizing. :)

jennboo

I'm natural now, but when i was permed my lye relaxer produced better results than the no-lye relaxer i tried. Specifically, i used Dudley's lye in mild or regular for years and always had great results (straight, shiny, body, moisture). I tried a mizani no lye relaxer and the results were sub-par (dull, didn't seem to produce the moisture and vitality factor that the lye relaxer produced). After that fiasco, i went back to my Dudley's lye and my hair thrived once again.

*Muffin*

I'm no relaxer expert at all, but in my opinion lye relaxers are stronger than no-lye relaxers. I usually get no-lye relaxers, and I'm used to the tingling sensation they give my scalp, but lye relaxers seem to burn the heck out of my scalp. But a lot of women testify that lye relaxers are their key to maintaining their hair color and that they don't leave mineral deposits in your hair. But as for me, I'm a no-lye girl ;).