11 weeks post..Tangled mess on wash days

kizzylonghair

adies,

I am currently 11 weeks post relaxer shooting for 14 weeks. My hair has been fine on my stretch so far. BUT the last 2 wash days have been HORRIBLE.
I pre-poo, CON wash, DECON and then I attempt to rollerset, but problem is detangling. I do finger, then wide tooth, then a finer comb. Takes me an hour and I still loose lots of hair, alarmingly today I lost long strands.
I have very fine 4A hair.

Is my hair telling me to relax now??
What do you ladies to combat the tangles??
Any advice??

Thanx
Kizzy

ebonyseas

I have fine, texlaxed 4b hair that went through an awful period of tangling. Oil rinses really helped! After washing I soaked my hair in oil. Left it on for at least one hour then rinsed once or twice with conditioner. You can also try mane and tale detangler, cowboy magic or Paul mitchell's the detangler. I haven't tried those but people around here seem to love them.

otegwu

I would advise not stretching for too long if your hair cant take it, especially if your hair is not that long, if not you could try using s curl in the roots that supposedly helps.

WaistLengthDreams

I detangle with conditioner in my hair using a wide tooth/shower comb. To minimize breakage, you've really got to be gentle when detangling. Work on small sections one at a time. If the comb gets caught, don't force it. Just work the tangles from the ends up to the roots and take your time.

HTH

cutiepiebabygirl

I don't stretch past 12 weeks (personal preference)...and I'm a 4a/ fine / relaxed. When I'm deep into my stretch to I have to co-wash every other day. I can't wait a few days or my hair will be really tangled. I usually put a little condish on my dry hair...get into the shower, add more condish, use a wide-tooth comb and I'm good.

miss stress

You should try washing in sections or braids so ure only manipulating one section at a time, works great for my transitioning hair

Poopiedo

I wear a wig throughout the week so I don't know if you can do the same things as I do.

I'm 10 weeks post and I cowash 4 times a week. I use S curl, a creamy leave in, and coconut oil every day I cowash. I moisturize and seal twice a day. I massage my scalp with coconut oil on my fingertips nightly. This helps to keep my new growth soft. I keep those roots tamed by tying my hair down with a satin scarf. I also steam once a week with a creamy conditioner so I don't have a problem with tangles. The only time I had issues with tangles was when I used henna. I always use a wide tooth comb and I comb my hair while wet.

I'm shooting for 16 weeks this stretch. I've never gone past 13 weeks. If you see excessive breakage and shedding that is beyond normal, maybe it's time to end your stretch. Don't stretch for the sake of stretching only to end up with less hair than you had 11 weeks earlier. Listen to that inner voice when something tells you it's just not working.

Last edited:

Solitude

OP, you need leave-ins that provide slip. For rollersetting, I usually us a creamy leave-in and a serum. But, you should only stretch as long as you feel comfortable to avoid breakage. You could slowly stretch out the time between your relaxers.

I don't stretch past 12 weeks (personal preference)...and I'm a 4a/ fine / relaxed. When I'm deep into my stretch to I have to co-wash every other day. I can't wait a few days or my hair will be really tangled. I usually put a little condish on my dry hair...get into the shower, add more condish, use a wide-tooth comb and I'm good.

I can stretch for a while, but it's the same thing for me...I tend to co-wash more frequently, the longer I stretch.

kizzylonghair

I have fine, texlaxed 4b hair that went through an awful period of tangling. Oil rinses really helped! After washing I soaked my hair in oil. Left it on for at least one hour then rinsed once or twice with conditioner. You can also try mane and tale detangler, cowboy magic or Paul mitchell's the detangler. I haven't tried those but people around here seem to love them.

Good tips, maybe I could invest in a detangling product....I am product Junkie and u have just given me an excuse!!:grin:

HappilyLiberal

adies,

I am currently 11 weeks post relaxer shooting for 14 weeks. My hair has been fine on my stretch so far. BUT the last 2 wash days have been HORRIBLE.
I pre-poo, CON wash, DECON and then I attempt to rollerset, but problem is detangling. I do finger, then wide tooth, then a finer comb. Takes me an hour and I still loose lots of hair, alarmingly today I lost long strands.
I have very fine 4A hair.

Is my hair telling me to relax now??
What do you ladies to combat the tangles??
Any advice??

Thanx
Kizzy

Eleven weeks is when I get the urge to relax because I think that is a major point when the differences in the textures rears it's ugly head.

Pre-poo overnight in braids with some castor oil (it does not have to be JBCO). Wash your hair only in the shower because at this point washing it in the sink or bathtub is asking for trouble. Deep Condition every single time you wash from here on out. Always wash your hair when you have the time to detangle really slowly. Put a leave-in in with some slip. Deangle starting with a wide tooth comb and gradually switch too narrower tooth combs (when I am that far along I have three combs I use while detangling my hair).

By doing this I was able to make it 5 months post last time when I previously had to stop between 11-13 weeks post.

kizzylonghair

I wear a wig throughout the week so I don't know if you can do the same things as I do.

I'm 10 weeks post and I cowash 4 times a week. I use S curl, a creamy leave in, and coconut oil every day I cowash. I moisturize and seal twice a day. I massage my scalp with coconut oil on my fingertips nightly. This helps to keep my new growth soft. I keep those roots tamed by tying my hair down with a satin scarf. I also steam once a week with a creamy conditioner so I don't have a problem with tangles. The only time I had issues with tangles was when I used henna. I always use a wide tooth comb and I comb my hair while wet.

I'm shooting for 16 weeks this stretch. I've never gone past 13 weeks. If you see excessive breakage and shedding that is beyond normal, maybe it's time to end your stretch. Don't stretch for the sake of stretching only to end up with less hair than you had 11 weeks earlier. Listen to that inner voice when something tells you it's just not working.

Thanks,

Because I wear a messy bun (PS) thru out the week, once I get to wash day
its all over the place, I need to attempt to detangle before i hit the water too.
My hair is fine, no breakage/shedding its just wash days I am struggling with, but as you have said it makes no sense stretching if I cant get this under control.

kizzylonghair

Eleven weeks is when I get the urge to relax because I think that is a major point when the differences in the textures rears it's ugly head.

Pre-poo overnight in braids with some castor oil (it does not have to be JBCO). Wash your hair only in the shower because at this point washing it in the sink or bathtub is asking for trouble. Deep Condition every single time you wash from here on out. Always wash your hair when you have the time to detangle really slowly. Put a leave-in in with some slip. Deangle starting with a wide tooth comb and gradually switch too narrower tooth combs (when I am that far along I have three combs I use while detangling my hair).

By doing this I was able to make it 5 months post last time when I previously had to stop between 11-13 weeks post.

That is so true, the texture is no joke:lachen:
Def will try shower washing, the hair over my head is doing me no favours,
What leave in are you using?? I use the nexxus one, which has not helped