tangled mess on wash day (long post)

growinstrong

Hello ladies,

I am a newbie here who dont know much about proper hair care and am just getting started on my journey. I have a few questions to ask about your routine when you wash. Everytime I wash, it is very hard to detangle at the roots whether I am 2 week post or 8 weeks post relaxer. What am I doing wrong? :confused: Is there a proper way to shampoo? Oh, I always wash my hair in the shower. This most recent time, I did a pre-poo using ORS mayonnaise (under warm dryer for 30 minutes with plastic cap), shampooed using Creme of Nature shampoo (organic one in the green bottle), DC using Nexxus Humectress (15 minutes under warm dryer for 15 minutes with plastic cap), rinsed out and then re-applied Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in and then oh-no, the detangling part. I always hate this part of the process becuase I always lose a lot of hair, to me anyway :mad:.
After I detangle, I braid my hair into about 6 plates and then air dry. Can anyone suggest anything that may help my detangling process a little more pleasant or am I just doing it wrong with the wrong products? I am currently 6 weeks post and do not comb my hair through the week and I use BT as a growth aid. I usually wait 8 weeks to relax. I dont do co washes because I work 2 jobs and dont have time and I either wash myself or go to the salon every Saturday. I am just looking for some useful tips to follow for Saturday because I am trying to elimiate the need to go to the stylist for washes when I can do that myself. Please help and newbie out. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaas! Oh, can someone who dont comb their hair through the week and wash their hair every 7 days, post the amount of shedding that they normally see on wash day? I'm so sorry for the extremely long post, but I am in dire need of help.:cry3:

angelita842002

I would detangle some time during your washing process(like when you prepoo or shampoo or your deep condition) not wait till the end when your applying your leave in to do it. I always detangle with conditioner in my hair.

Also maybe your hair needs to be detangled more often than once a week. Are you wearing your hair in a bun/protective style everyday or are you wearing it out?

preciousjewel76

The key is to detangle your hair in the shower, while you're rinsing out your conditioner. Lean your head back into the shower spray, and, using a wide-tooth comb, gently comb the hair from tip to root. The force of the water will help you greatly.

Once you're done, squeeze the excess water from your hair and apply your leave-ins. Comb through again, this time using a comb with finer teeth (I love the Goody "So Gelous" comb, this was a great tip from LocksofLuv!).

I also have info in my journal on how I wash my hair in braids. This greatly reduces tangles for me.

growinstrong

angelita842002 said:
I would detangle some time during your washing process(like when you prepoo or shampoo or your deep condition) not wait till the end when your applying your leave in to do it. I always detangle with conditioner in my hair.

Also maybe your hair needs to be detangled more often than once a week. Are you wearing your hair in a bun/protective style everyday or are you wearing it out?
Cute babygirl. Thanks for the tip, I will try this next time to see if it helps. Oh, I am bunning everyday. I wear my hair out on the weekend only, but I do finger comb everyday so my hair doesnt look a mess.

Last edited:

Royal Glory

I agree that maybe you need to gently comb to detangle at least once or twice during the week.

Also be careful not to rub your hair too vigorously when washing so that the hair isn't tangled too much. I think the "Crown & Glory" method suggests you put your hair in sections of four or six loose braids and gently wash your hair while it is braided to keep it from tangling.

Also make sure your conditioner has alot of "slip" so that the comb glides through the hair.

I hope this helps.