2nd Application of Texturizer/Mild Relaxer

kim72

Hello Everyone - I almost never post but I have a question.

I will give you some background on my hair first. I went natural in late 2002 and stayed natural until June 2006. I attempted to texurize my hair in late June 2006. I mixed together Suave Trop. Coconut and Elasta QP mild relaxer. I left the relaxer on hair for 5-7 minutes and rinsed out. I wanted to texturize my hair because I thought it would help with the shrinkage and manageability. Initially it did help but now I cannot wear my hair out at all without it becoming a tangled bird's nest. It is a nightmare to detangle afterwards.
I may possibly want to go straighter, not bone straight just straighter than what I have now. My hair type is 3c/4a medium size strands.
My question is: Is it safe to apply either a texturizer or mild relaxer to the length of my hair for 10-15 minutes even though I texturized whole length in late June? I don't see any new growth at all and I want to go straighter all over. Will this damage my hair? I hope my query makes sense.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to attach a picture of my hair but the file size is too big and I don't know how to minimize it.

i've done it... twice actually... i think that as long as you take care of your hair both before and after you do the corrective, you should be ok... you really need to know your hairs limits...

now please keep in mind, i'm coming from a place of personal experience... i'm by no means as knowledgeable about hair in general... but i can say that it can definitely be done...

Thank you for replying SqrprioQtie. Do you have any tips on what I should do to prepare my hair beforehand?

kim72 said:
Thank you for replying SqrprioQtie. Do you have any tips on what I should do to prepare my hair beforehand?

hmmm... this is where my lack of hair science comes into play... my instinct would be to do a protein treatment a week or so in advance and to make sure that you're moisturizing on a regular basis so that your hair is in a good state to withstand chemical treatment....

hopefully, some of the other ladies with more specific knowledge will contribute... :grin:

Back