Texturizer vs. Relaxer

glamazon386

Somebody wrote in asking a question about them in the June/July issue of Vibe Vixen and thought I'd share. I agree with what the stylist said about the texturizer. I've been reading their mag for about a year now and their hair advice is usually pretty good and consistent with the info here on the board. Phytospecific Relaxer was also mentioned in this issue on page 28.

Reader: Are texturizers harsher than relaxers?

Vibe Vixen: The difference between a texturizer and a relaxer is the way it's applied to the hair. "The texturizer is the process, not the product." says Edris Nicholls, owner of Edris Salon in New York. The other shocker. Curls are not guranteed. "[Your hair may not] look like Tracee Ellis Ross'." says Nicholls, adding that the star's ringlets are coveted by most of her texturizer clients. "Sometimes [the texturizer] just softens the hair." To texturize, a hairstylist simply applies a mild or regular-strength relaxer to sections of hair and lets it sit up for five minutes before rinsing. The process is repeated on the entire head. The best way to get a sneak peek at what your tresses might look like is to skip your weekly blowout and go to a salon for a consultation in it's natural state. The stylist should examine your texture, wet your locks, and then apply conditioner to get a sense of your curl pattern. Ask the hairstylist to be honest about what you can expect. If they promise to make you look like someone in a picture, run! A good stylist knows and celebrates the most amazing thing about hair: it's uniqueness.

--This can be found on page 44 of the June/July Issue with Mya on the cover.

gymfreak336

bmoreflyygirl said:
Somebody wrote in asking a question about them in the June/July issue of Vibe Vixen and thought I'd share. I agree with what the stylist said about the texturizer. I've been reading their mag for about a year now and their hair advice is usually pretty good and consistent with the info here on the board. Phytospecific Relaxer was also mentioned in this issue on page 28.

Reader: Are texturizers harsher than relaxers?

Vibe Vixen: The difference between a texturizer and a relaxer is the way it's applied to the hair. "The texturizer is the process, not the product." says Edris Nicholls, owner of Edris Salon in New York. The other shocker. Curls are not guranteed. "[Your hair may not] look like Tracee Ellis Ross'." says Nicholls, adding that the star's ringlets are coveted by most of her texturizer clients. "Sometimes [the texturizer] just softens the hair." To texturize, a hairstylist simply applies a mild or regular-strength relaxer to sections of hair and lets it sit up for five minutes before rinsing. The process is repeated on the entire head. The best way to get a sneak peek at what your tresses might look like is to skip your weekly blowout and go to a salon for a consultation in it's natural state. The stylist should examine your texture, wet your locks, and then apply conditioner to get a sense of your curl pattern. Ask the hairstylist to be honest about what you can expect. If they promise to make you look like someone in a picture, run! A good stylist knows and celebrates the most amazing thing about hair: it's uniqueness.

--This can be found on page 44 of the June/July Issue with Mya on the cover.

Thanks for posting. I love the last line.