4a/b Natural Support and FAQ Thread (da Nappy Head Thread)

:lachen: Yea, my little brother gave my that name because of the part when he said the little sister bigger then the big sister because i have bigger breast then my sister :blush:lol lol they have jokes:nono:. The name just been stuck with me since then. To this day they still call me baby-dee :rolleyes:

bumping cause this is a great thread. the back of my head is 4a and i love it...my sister is 4a/4b with coarse hair and she loves her hair as well, which is hard to find in a 13 y/o who grew up surrounded by relaxers. as a matter of fact she had one but transitioned out of it (we cut off the last of the relaxed parts last month) because it broke her hair off down to her scalp along her nape and in the middle of the back of her head :ohwell: so now she is back to where she was pre-relaxer, neck length to almost SL in some spots. i am trying to help her get to SL by the end of the year.

she has kept it in cornrows for the majority of a year, maybe 18 months, but when i came home for the summer i decided this would be the summer i learned to do not only my hair, but hers as well since we have to search for one of my cousins whenever she needs her hair done. this usually involves them asking to be paid, and the price keeps going up. if not that, they are unavailable, and this has happened twice right before school picture day :look: so i decided enough was enough. besides, i had no clue how to do my hair till maybe 11th grade and i dont want her to be the same way.

i have come to find out that the same stuff cant be used on both of us a lot of times, but we are finding what works for her and stocking up on it so that when august arrives and i have to go back to school she doesn't lose what she is learning about her hair. i taught her about DCing and cowashing, and also how to stay away from hair grease and stuff filled with mineral oil and petrolatum. i have now learned how to do yarn twists and kinky twists on her, adding in different colors on occasion, and when this latest set is taken down (they were put in july 14) i think i will try box braids. these are all styles that she can maintain, and if need be she can keep them in for a month since i come home once a month and can use that time to redo her hair. eventually i WILL get this cornrowing thing down and pass that on to her (who knows, maybe one day we will henna together), but she is learning how to do the twists herself. since we both have kinky twists right now we use a 50/50 mix of glycerin and AV juice to moisturize, and i am thinking of adding either EVOO or castor oil to it. i have found that the best way to wash her hair is to put it in two strand twists first; it is more time consuming but then she can wash and DC it herself, and detangling is a breeze when we take the twists out one-by-one and comb through her hair. and like justkiya said, loading conditioner in the hair is a miracle find...that plus a shower comb makes her hair so soft and pretty.

i love LHCF for the simple fact that anyone with any texture can learn how to get that beautiful head of hair they have always wanted...so thank you ladies...

whew i'm done now.

I had reached shoulder length stretched(in most parts), but I've been very negelectful of my hair so I did another bc. I'm back to 3-4 inches. I don't really mind b/c my hair seems to grow fast, but I don't want to have to do anymore chopping lol. I plan to take better care of it. I have a quick question. I cut b/c I had all of these weird strands, some of them were really thick and almost looked like plastic. Those strands had a bunch of holes in them along the length(not the ends). What do you think caused them? I flat ironed my hair twice, but I had those strands before I ever used heat. I use a seamless comb and use all natural products. I had been leaving my hair in a shrunken fro and not combing for weeks at a time, which lead to dryness. Do you guys think dryness caused those weird strands/damage?

I don't know! I have some of those strands too, and they are ALWAYS the most beat-up looking ones - will have mid strand 'gaps' (like splits, but both ends are still attached to the 'main' strand), and just generally rough looking. I always thought they were just random coarse strands in my mostly fine hair, and because the products/habits I use are to take care of my fine strands, the coarse ones get overloaded/beat up faster.

I dunno.

Back