NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!

Mandy4610

Is there any such thread already. If not, I would like to start one.
It is a place for us natural heads to share knowledge on styles, regimens, products and random everyday stuff. Of course relaxed/transitioning heads are welcome to contribute.

What do you think ladies. Is this something we can do?

Ms_CoCo37

I have couple of staple products that I like to use:

Taliah Waajid Black Shampoo & Conditioner (natural products)
QP Elasta Mango Butter
Lush Caca Noir Henna (new staple...LOVING IT!)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil/Olive Oil
Amla Oil
Brahmi Oil
Shikaki Soap Bar (as well as many other Aryuveda products)
Co-Wash wih Suave & VO5 Conditioners

Most of the time I wear my hair curly, or in a bun...but since it's getting cold, I think I'll convert over to twists, or some other protective styles.

isabella09

Great thread, I would like to join please. I have been transitioning to natural with braids since May 2008.

I use the following products which are my staples;
Philip B Rejuvenating oil
CV Natural Shampoo bars
AO HSR
ACV
Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner
Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm & Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream
Black Jamaican castor and avocado oil
Joico K-pak Liquid Reconstructor
Hair Steamer
Vitamins; Viviscal, Phyto-Cap’Energy, H&B Mega Vitamins for hair, Garlic, Flaxseed oil & MSM.

My regimen;
- I moisturise every day or every other day with Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm & Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream then seal with a mixture of Black Jamaican castor and avocado oil.

- Once a week I wash my hair with a CV natural shampoo bar, do a steam DC with AO HSR, final rinse with ACV. Lastly, I use Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner as a leave-in conditioner and seal with oil.

- I clarify/ use a protein treatment as needed and pre-poo when I’m able to with Philip B Rejuvenating oil.

Last edited:

Nina_deF

For transitioners, my experiences so far:

I've experienced major bumps and minor triumphs. This is what saved me.

Hump nr 1: week 12-16 (when I usually relaxed): Unruly, stubborn ng.
I couldn't feel my scalp and it gave me a helmet look.
Remedy: Coconut butter/oil and sheer force!
I brushed with my denmen and bunned/ponytailed for couple of weeks.

Hump nr 2: month 6-7: Is this really all the ng I get. Why isn't it at least necklength yet? My relaxed ends are dry and limp.
Remedy: Coconut oil, cowashing and jojoba on the ends.
My ng glides through my denman in the shower and my ends are recesatated (sp?).

Hump nr 3: month 10: watched to many bcs on youtube.
I mini-chopped. Big mistake.
Remedy: I hide my hair, braided up, one month later: progress!

All time remedy:
COCONUT OIL.
COCONUT OIL.
COCONUT OIL.
COCONUT OIL.

When it just seems endless and hopeless:
COCONUT OIL.COCONUT OIL.COCONUT OIL.

I'm natural but wont be officially wearing my hair until this weekend.
I will use this thread as a journal with my product evaluations.
Style hits and misses..etc.

Lynnerie

I've been natural for a year now.

My Reggie is just co-washing or rinsing daily if I'm not wearing my hair straight. I occassionally wear twists for about a week.

My products are...

Co-wash- Aussie Moist /Trader Joe's
Deep conditioner- Aubrey Organics HSR
Shampoo- Organix Coconut oil Shampoo
Conditioner- Organix
Leave-ins- Giovanni Direct
Stylers- Texure my way Curl Keeper or Shea butter, coconut oil and gel mix
Oils- Coconut oil
Henna

My main issue is trying to grow out the layers from when I BC'd. I straightened twice last year but plan on straightening more in 2010.

curlydrea

Ive been natrual for a year.

My reggie:
Shampoo:Castile peppermint soap/ Black soap/ACV
Condition: Giovanni/ Taliah Wajiid
Detangle: Aussie Moist
Protein: Aphogee 2 min
Deep conditoner: Burts Bees (4 now)

I like to wear my hair in stretched out styles. Usually a fluffly braid out or flat twist out using my shea butter mixture.

I also would like to commit to two months of protective styling using twist extensions.

Vitamins, Exercise and Water...

Vonnieluvs08

I'm in!!!

Reggie right now for Winter is:

CoWash once a week: Shescentit Condishs, Aussie Moist
DC; Sitirnillah, Banana Burlee, or a DC mix with Silk elements and Lustrasilk Mango Condish and some oil with any mix
Twists: Coco Leave-in, Vatika Frosting, then a hair butter Shescentit or my own mix
Moisturize everyday or every other with a butter mix or Vatika Frosting (the heater of the car makes sure it melts completely in)
Henna every 2weeks or so (I shampoo before): Karishma or some other type I can't spell

I've started wearing a pony puff or puff occasionally to break the monotony of the twists. When it gets warm again I'll start with flat twists and more styles. I'll probably straighten sometime in the new year.

Mandy4610

Ok, so here is my regimen:

I do this once a week

1. Prepoo with either oil or a mild protein conditioner (coconut oil, vatika frosting, ORS hair mayo, Aubrey organics GPB)
  2. Shampoo with Nature's gate shampoo (I will be trying Castile soap when my nature's gate runs out)
  3. Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner (Aubrey organics Honeysuckle rose, shescentit banana brulee, Hairveda sitrinillar mask. Sometimes I add vatika frosting or coconut oil to my conditioner)
  4. While the DC is in, I detangle my hair in small sections, braiding each section after detangling ( I use a suave tropical coconut and water mix to spray each section even though the DC is still in. I detangle with my finger, a wide tooth comb and then a Denman brush)
  5. Rinse my hair while it is braided
  6. Dry the hair in braids under the dryer and tae the braids down in the morning
  7. If I am rollersetting, I will unbraid each section and rollerset, or if I am blowdrying, I will unbraid and blowdry each section. I rollerset mostly with just water, sometimes I do it with CHI silk infusion. I blowdry with CHI silk infusion orwith Sabino moisture block.

This is basically it. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I will be mostly posting pics of styles I do.

MizzBrit

sigh...i dont have a regime..for my hair.. less is more.i just listen to my hair and it tells me when it needs to be washed,detangled,etc.

as far as products, my staples are
shea butters
stay so fro
coconut oil
eco krystal gel
herbal essences hello hydration/tressemme

stephluv

I'm in...been natural 5yrs but been only taking care of my hair for about 4mths...so this thread would be a great way to keep me focused as i continue my journey...

chebaby

ive been natural since april of this year.

my staples are:
shea butter
coconut oil
evoo
jbco
ojon revitalizing mist
oyin honey hemp conditioner
oyin whipped pudding
oyin shine and define
oyin juices and berries
kbb hair milk
kbb hair cream
afroveda ashlii amala deep conditioner

i love my natural hair but this thread is right on time because since last week i have been having a hard time with it since the weather is now freezing. my hair is suffereing it seems.

maxineshaw

I have couple of staple products that I like to use:

Taliah Waajid Black Shampoo & Conditioner (natural products)
QP Elasta Mango Butter
Lush Caca Noir Henna (new staple...LOVING IT!)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil/Olive Oil
Amla Oil
Brahmi Oil
Shikaki Soap Bar (as well as many other Aryuveda products)
Co-Wash wih Suave & VO5 Conditioners

Most of the time I wear my hair curly, or in a bun...but since it's getting cold, I think I'll convert over to twists, or some other protective styles.

TW products are great. I'm really happy that a lot more local BSS are carrying her products (even CVS carries three of her products). I'm really trying to K.I.S.S. and use mostly natural products. TW's Black Earth and Royal Roots lines allow me to do that without having to order online so much. I went to the BSS today to get some royal roots, but they were out of the moisture glaze-which I love. Had to get the bodifier (which I love as well, but costs 2 dollars more).

Anyhow, I'm finished tweaking my reggie (hopefully I won't change it for a long time). I recently had a personal moisturizer challenge. I'm challenging myself to stick to the exact same products in 2010. I used the following products:

Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme
Elasta QP Olive and Mango Butter
Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
S-Curl
BB Oil Moisturizer (the castor oil one-pink/white bottle)
Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm
Afroveda Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream
Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream

Afroveda won, hands down. My hair absolutely loves shea butter products. I just decided to use Afroveda because it's cold and I can't stand trying to melt shea in my hands when its cold. It's just not comfortable. Afroveda is also a whole lot more cost effective than other natural moisturizers. Initially I was worried that it doesn't have enough shea butter in it. I thought it would be watered-down. Don't be fooled by the fact that shea butter is the fourth ingredients.

Also, I did a conditioner challenge (again, for my person 2010 product challenge). I only used Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol because I have been trying to transition back to the BSS. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't happening. My hair-especially my ends-thrive off of natural products.

I often switch from BSS products and online/natural ones-mostly because I get frustrated with the cost. However, using TW products and sticking to only five allows me to use the kind of products I like without breaking the bank. Also, my hair thrives on simplicity.

The Five products I decided on:

1. Black Earth Shampoo
2. AOHR Conditioner
3. Black Earth Protective Mist Bodifier (love it, the first product I ever called a staple. What's sad is a discovered this mere months into my journey. Then I wound up wasting so much money on products that didn't work or just did not compare)
4. Afroveda Shea Amla
5. Black Earth African Healing Oyl (works great, very pleasant smell)

I think I will switch to the black earth conditioner when I'm done with the AoHR. That will be my one exception. Also, I'm thinking about doing cassia treatments once a month, but I really don't consider that to be a product. just a special treat. Anyhow, I hope I can last a whole year.

preciouslove0x

transitioning!! soooooooooo ready to embrace my natural hair! i WILL be wearing it out in its natural glory (short or long) on Day 1 of BC!!

currently 14 weeks post :grin: so far its been really really easy. but i hear it takes a turn for the worse at 6 months :perplexed

but anyway i just recently made a product a true staple after searching for staples since july

shea butter (works even more amazingly on damp hair)

my semi-staples would be:

aphogee 2 min
trader joes castile soap
castor oil
ORS aloe rid and replenshing conditioner

hope to try qhemet (praying to God) and afroveda products soon (hopefully ill get work study by next fall)

but anyway i currently wash and DC once every sunday. i moisturize every night and wear my hair in flat twists with a headwrap or a twist out that i alternate each day

hair growth is EXTREMELY slow! :wallbash: i get about 1/4 inch a month. i just ordered some pure sulfur so ill be making my own growth aid. ive been using MN but it only works in spurts. however it filled in my edges so im satisfied

ill be posting in here a lot. this is a great thread OP!! thanks

Mandy4610

Here are some recent styles:

Last edited:

PaleoChick

Ok. I decided to join the support group. For 2010, I am doing the following. (Remix)

Every 3 weeks:

1. Use Elucence Shampoo.
  2. Use Elucence MB Conditioner or AO HSR (in a pinch)
  3. Will rinse and have hair rebraided by professional

Weekly regimen

1. Spray hair daily with tea spritz. Use Afroveda elixir every other day.

That is all.

Last edited:

ctosha

Great Thread:grin:

I have been natural for almost 3 years I believe. Reggie is as follows:

Wash 1x a wee with: Creame of Nature (old formula) after that I will be using Blended Beauty Soy Shampoo

Deep condition with: LeKair Cholesteral (when hair needs light protein if not then Curls coconut sublime condish)

For styling it can vary but I do buns 5 days a week for work or ponytail. On weekends if going out then twist out.

Following are currently used for styling

Oyin burnt sugar pomade
Afroveda shea butter, curling custard and pure whipped jelly. I have the ginger styling creme but have not tried yet.

I also use JBCO, IC Gel for buns, water, oil scalp with natures blessing oil, etc...but not all at once...lol

I use a variety of products as I am a semi product junkie I must admit but I have to look into my stash and list my styling aids later.

MonPetite

My regimen, recipes, views on products and everything hair related are on my blog. Great thread AND styles, OP!

Filmatic

I have been natural since March. I haven't straightened yet. Waiting til 2010.
Regimen:

1. Cowash Daily to every 2 days with variety of cons(staples Mill Creek, Dove, Aussie Moist, Garnier)

2. Section in 4. Leave-in Lustrasilk mixed with oils.

3. Seal with Crisco mixed with Coconut oil

4. DC once a week in winter. In summer when needed.

5. I will be adding hot oil treatments for the rest of winter.

I usually wash and go or wig it. I will sometimes where twists with a beanie.

Miss AJ

So I plan on DCing and twist/braid outing my way to APL. I'm striving for at least grazing APL on August 15, 2010, exactly one year from my BC. I used to love quick conditioners. now I love leave-ins. If I counted correcty I have about...10!! WOW....I have a problem and I haven't even done inventory on my other stuff yet lol.

BrownEyez22

I'm natural and I am working on thickening up my hair in the next 6months. It has thinned out, I think due to my iron levels dropping pretty low. I'm taking my ferrous iron and a multi to help inside with that. So...

-I wash every other week with shampoo, in between with just conditioner if I need to wash.
-Deep Conditioning at least 2x a month (usually 3-4x)
-Moisturizing Daily. Seal with Castor (clear or black) or Olive Oil
-I blow dry my hair 2x a month.
-Going to be scalp massaging more often.
-Using Henna once every 3-4months.

I am going to try wearing a bun 1 week and a wig 1 week, twist out/braid out 1 week and anything I want for the rest of the month.

Here's a pic of my protective style. It is in my avatar. Its the only bun I can do that I like.

I tried doing donuts, My hair just isn't long enough right now for me to like it.

I purchased some new shears this year and I was a overzealous "duster." I also trimmed the back layer of my hair because it seemed:rolleyes: so much longer than the rest.

So I'm not going to dust nearly as much in 2010. I'll just things be. I will be checking back and posting.

Ozma

Every Sunday is hair day:

1-Wash with a Shikakai bar

2-cowash and detangle (AO HSR and JASON kids detangling conditioner)

3-Once per month, apply henna/conditioner (usually V05)/honey/paprika treatment

4-Once per month (different week than henna), apply reconstructing or deep protein treatment

5-Moisturizing dc for 20 minutes under hood dryer

6-Rinse, moisturize and seal

7-dry with twists, wet bun, or Terri's method

6-moisturize, bun, baggy and low mani until the next hair day

Daily:
Take vitamins and supplements, drink plenty of water, try to exercise:rolleyes:

I hope to be APL and beyond by this time next year by sticking to this reggie.
No heat and no excessive trimming, combing or stying

Last edited:

FAMUDva

I've been relaxer free for 2 yrs, but 100% natural for 10 months.

My staples-

Organic Coconut oil
Hello Hydration
GF Moisture Works Shampoo & Conditioner
Giovanni Direct leave-in (don't really love it but have to use it up)
Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in
Pantene PRO-V RESTORATIVES TIME RENEWAL REPLENISHING MASK (Deep Conditioner)
My HYDRATION STEAMER (Can't live without it)
Heat protectant varies (still trying to get my hands on FHI hotsauce)
Ecostyler or Fantasia IC gel (using less these days)

*At the salon they exclusive use Design Essentials line before flat iron straightening with the FHI Runway.

Last edited:

FAMUDva

While I try to KISS... here's my simple reg:

1) Shampoo weekly (either home or at the salon)
2) Deep condition weekly
3) AT LEAST weekly steam hydration during deep condition (20-30mins)
4) creamy leave in when wearing in curly styles
5) flat iron press with either FHI Runway (at salon) or H2Pro 204LE (at home)

I typically wear very simple styles and don't really bother to only use protective styles or whatever. Just go with the flow for now. I'm taking advantage of the cooler temps and wearing my hair straight more often.

I'm about 2 inches from APL when stretched. By this time next year I hope to be approaching BSL stretched. I plan to continue deep conditioning and hydrating weekly to reach the goal. There will be 2-4 trims as needed for healthy looking ends through the year, so hopefully the goal won't be out of reach.

Last edited: