4a/b Naturals,how do you feel about a hot comb press using wax as a protector?

dlove

I am a 4a/b all natural and I finally did something with my 1" TWA. Here's the story...

I BC'd on 4/7/07. I had a shrunken 1" thick fro.

On 8/11/07, I got it permanant colored- aubrun. My beautician took out the old black dyes out by putting some white bleaching agent on my hair( what exactly is that stuff anyway? )and dyed it aubrun. The color covered my 2/3 head full of "resistant grays" and it looks great.
Is this permanant dye damaging to natural hair?:perplexed Also, am I still considered a natural even though I have permanant dye in my tresses?

After washing and conditioning my hair, she placed me under hooded dryer for 10 minutes. My hair was completed dry. She then pressed my hair with a pressing comb she put in a marcel oven. Before using the pressing comb, she put that orange marcel wax and that creme press that comes in a yellow and white jar from ultra sheen. I know that she also uses 100% beeswax. After pressing my hair I noticed my length was about 2".

She has been doing her for over 25 years. Her clients have long healthy hair. Her hair is natural and she presses her own hair. It is shoulder length and she dyes it blonde.

But after reading all the good info about heat protectors here on LHCF, my question is should I bring my own heat protectors for the pressing? If so what brand or type?

BTW- I really like my new look:rolleyes: I wore a satin cap last night and just used the rat tail end of my hair to pick the tight tiny curls out.

glamazon386

As long as she's not using too much heat and burning/damaging your hair in the process I don't see the problem. Just be careful with the pressing and the color. The dye has probably weakened your hair some.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
After washing and conditioning my hair, she placed me under hooded dryer for 10 minutes. My hair was completed dry. She then pressed my hair with a pressing comb she put in a marcel oven. Before using the pressing comb, she put that orange marcel wax and that creme press that comes in a yellow and white jar from ultra sheen. I know that she also uses 100% beeswax. After pressing my hair I noticed my length was about 2".

Wax is not a heat protectant.

I am not anti-heat, I promise, but between wax and an uncontrolled heat source, she is frying your hair like chicken wings.

If you search threads on heat damage, or permanently straightened natural hair, the stories read much like what you have written.

Here are two heat protectants that I use that may be helpful

http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/ic503015.html

http://www.folica.com/Redken_Smooth_D_d2148.html

msdeevee

I think it all depends on what you want ultimately for your hair. If you're going to keep up this routine and wear your hair like this all the time, your choice but if you want to switch up by trying to wear your "natural" curls sometimes and then go back to straightened it may not be that easy

I have 4b natural hair. I promise like Jcoily...I'm not a natural hair militant BUT....with you bleaching your hair, dying and then pressing with those very high heat marcel irons you are running a high risk of permanently damaging your curl pattern and I really don't think any heat protectant or wax is going to prove to be any better than another in your case.

I also think each case is individual. I know people with natural hair that can't grow it more than 2" either so just because she may have unrelaxed, bleached blonde hair and it seems to be healthy to the eye doesn't mean that yours will turn out to be that way . I hope it does though.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I'm of two minds. I recommend a heat protectant, but my cousin is an ole skool stylist and she does presses using a marcel wax. Or at least she used to, she may use a heat protectant now tho. She presses her hair and has always had thick, healthy, long hair to about brastrap. Its pretty and silver gray all over now. Anyway, thermal protectants are fairly new to the hair care scene, 10-15 years ago, there was really only one or two on the market, and most didnt use them. If she knows what she is doing she can probably press your hair without damaging your hair. If you smelled burning hair, or if parts of it feel rough, dry or brittle, (indicating you already have damage) you definitely want to use one.

meaganita

Wax is not a heat protectant.

I am not anti-heat, I promise, but between wax and an uncontrolled heat source, she is frying your hair like chicken wings.

If you search threads on heat damage, or permanently straightened natural hair, the stories read much like what you have written.

Here are two heat protectants that I use that may be helpful

http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/ic503015.html

http://www.folica.com/Redken_Smooth_D_d2148.html
My thougts EXACTLY!!! First thing I thought of was fried hair.:nono:

dlove

Wow, this is an eye opening experience for me. I will definitely encourage her to use either the IC or Redken the next time she presses my hair. Thank you for your input.

dlove

Learned today that my beautician used ultra sheen satin creme press when she pressed my hair, then used the orange marcel wax to curl my hair... Is satin press creme any good for pressing?

Twisties

Learned today that my beautician used ultra sheen satin creme press when she pressed my hair, then used the orange marcel wax to curl my hair... Is satin press creme any good for pressing?

Both of these are old school products that have been in use for YEARS. I used to get my hair professionally pressed when I first went natural and this is what she used. My hair always reverted back to its natural state with no problems when I washed it. BUT I couldn't take the heat from the irons on my scalp! She was an older lady who would clunk the hot comb down on my scalp:nono: and I couldn't handle that part of the process.

I think the wax keeps your hair from reverting. The satin press grease would be the protectant. Just make sure you get deep conditioning treatments since you have colored it--sounds like she bleached it.

Back in the day, before relaxers became popular, the process you described, is how we kept our hair straight for long periods of time and there wasn't as much damage as we see with relaxers.

Now I don't think WE can do this at home, I think a professional has to do these types of presses. Some have mastered it, but I was never able to do it with out messing up chunks of hair.

Kookie

Both of these are old school products that have been in use for YEARS. I used to get my hair professionally pressed when I first went natural and this is what she used. My hair always reverted back to its natural state with no problems when I washed it. BUT I couldn't take the heat from the irons on my scalp! She was an older lady who would clunk the hot comb down on my scalp:nono: and I couldn't handle that part of the process.

I think the wax keeps your hair from reverting. The satin press grease would be the protectant. Just make sure you get deep conditioning treatments since you have colored it--sounds like she bleached it.

Back in the day, before relaxers became popular, the process you described, is how we kept our hair straight for long periods of time and there wasn't as much damage as we see with relaxers.

Now I don't think WE can do this at home, I think a professional has to do these types of presses. Some have mastered it, but I was never able to do it with out messing up chunks of hair.

I saw an old thread where nasvedga (sp) gave great advice about avoiding OILS as the first ingredients in any heat protectant.
What I have learned now in this thread is that we should also avoid WAXES as well??? Does this function the same as petroleum/oils?

My question: As was described in the previous posts by another member......Instead of (1) using the heat protectant, (2) then the wax based product to keep it from reverting, (3) only then to apply the direct heat of a flat iron, marcel iron, etc--

Do you think we could get same results in a DIFFERENT ORDER by:
1) applying our SILICONE based heat protectant
2) Flat iron/etc
3) THEN apply the wax or heavy oil to prevent the hair from reverting????

Can we get the same results doing it in this way?
Or is applying the heavy product AFTER the flat iron....just weighing my hair down at that point?

Any help is appreciated.... :yep:

Twisties

I saw an old thread where nasvedga (sp) gave great advice about avoiding OILS as the first ingredients in any heat protectant.
What I have learned now in this thread is that we should also avoid WAXES as well??? Does this function the same as petroleum/oils?

My question: As was described in the previous posts by another member......Instead of (1) using the heat protectant, (2) then the wax based product to keep it from reverting, (3) only then to apply the direct heat of a flat iron, marcel iron, etc--

2) Flat iron/etc

Or is applying the heavy product AFTER the flat iron....just weighing my hair down at that point?

Hi Kookie

I love your hair in your avatar. Very cute.

I am personally not anti-grease or anti-wax (although I went through a phase where I was). The only time I was able to have a succesful press with the wax and heavy oil was at an "old school" professional salon. When I tried it at home, I messed up a few pieces of hair:rolleyes:.

I think you could at least try the method you described to see how it works for your hair. It sounds safer for home presses and seems like it could really work:yep:.

Just be very careful with the level of heat you apply during the pressing process (a pressing comb or flat iron that is too hot is what causes hair to burn/singe and not revert back to its kinky texture).

Do you have a plug-in pressing comb or a Flat Iron?

Bint Yusef

2) Flat iron/etc

If you are flat ironing your hair applying a heavy wax afterwards sounds like you will be walking around with stiff greasy stringy hair. I use Chi silk infusion when I flat iron my hair and I may apply a light light light light application of coconut oil for sheen afterwards, I am talking a dime size for my entire head. The more products you add to your hair afterwards the less bounce and flow you get. The chi seems to prevent any reversion of hair, even through a sweat. Find a good heat protectant that helps prevent reversion as well.

Cleonaptra

I agree with you. I get my hair pressed and my stylist never uses wax or anything like that on my hair, and it never reverts and is always bouncy.
She uses Nioxin Thermal Protectant before blow drying my hair, then presses it. My hair has amazing shine afterwards.

If you are flat ironing your hair applying a heavy wax afterwards sounds like you will be walking around with stiff greasy stringy hair. I use Chi silk infusion when I flat iron my hair and I may apply a light light light light application of coconut oil for sheen afterwards, I am talking a dime size for my entire head. The more products you add to your hair afterwards the less bounce and flow you get. The chi seems to prevent any reversion of hair, even through a sweat. Find a good heat protectant that helps prevent reversion as well.

pressncurl

When I pressed regularly, I would use the satin creme press sometimes. My press came out okay, but it would easily revert. I've never used wax, but I guess it makes sense that it would help prevent the reversion. I don't know about wax as a heat protectant, but the satin creme press does a good job for this.

pressncurl

I agree with you. I get my hair pressed and my stylist never uses wax or anything like that on my hair, and it never reverts and is always bouncy.
She uses Nioxin Thermal Protectant before blow drying my hair, then presses it. My hair has amazing shine afterwards.

Interesting . . . Is that all she uses--ie, while she's actually in process of pressing, she doesn't add anything else?

ajargon02

On 8/11/07, I got it permanant colored- aubrun. My beautician took out the old black dyes out by putting some white bleaching agent on my hair( what exactly is that stuff anyway? )and dyed it aubrun. The color covered my 2/3 head full of "resistant grays" and it looks great.
Yes you are still natural :) You're just a natural with color in her hair. I would just warn you to be very careful with your moisturizing routine. With the bleach that stripped your hair to the new lighter color, you might eventually notice breakage. I would CERTAINLY suggest to up your dc tx so that you can try to prevent as much breakage as you can. You might also want to alternate the dc tx with protein tx such as aphogee.

Is this permanant dye damaging to natural hair?:perplexed Also, am I still considered a natural even though I have permanant dye in my tresses?
Again permanant dye and bleaching can be very and drying to natural hair leading to damage. I used to have a blonde color with multi-tonal highlights eventually I had to cut all my hair off b/c it was just too harsh. Just keep up on the dc treatments alternating with protein and you will slow down some of the breakage that might happen.

After washing and conditioning my hair, she placed me under hooded dryer for 10 minutes. My hair was completed dry. She then pressed my hair with a pressing comb she put in a marcel oven. Before using the pressing comb, she put that orange marcel wax and that creme press that comes in a yellow and white jar from ultra sheen. I know that she also uses 100% beeswax.
I would be careful when you are having someone press out your hair. No one really knows how hot those marcel ovens can get the hot comb, or flat iron comb. You can end up with permanant heat dmg and have to cut off all that you've grown so far. I wouldn't let her do my hair with that, for fear of damage. Does she have a flat iron like a chi that she can use on your hair instead, to try to cut down on the likely hood of heat damage? Plus with the blow drying, on top of the color? To me that seems like you might be setting yourself up for a lot of damage if you don't really take special care of your hair. I know that I don't like "beeswax" based products, b/c they buildup really fast. Don't forget to clarify to get all that out :)

But after reading all the good info about heat protectors here on LHCF, my question is should I bring my own heat protectors for the pressing? If so what brand or type?

Sorry this I won't be too much help on. I don't press my hair except once every 2-4 years and I have it done at a salon, and I have no clue what the lady uses. I think that about 4 years ago when I last got my hair pressed she used things from the mizani line. I know that she doesn't use wax based products, and when I left there my hair was swinging, looking like a fresh perm. I was really suprised. I suffered no heat damage either. Good luck to you.

turnergirl

I personally like hair wax. But I would never let a stylist throw tons of that orange goop in my hair and press it with marcel irons of any type. If you smell your hair burning or you hear a sizzle of any type your hair is frying.

Honestly I don't let stylist press my hair anymore but when I do it at home, I use mizani curl wax/creme. I use a tiny amount for each piece of hair. When I apply it to my hair there is just enough on my finger to make my finger shine, you can barely see it on my finger. I cannot smell or hear my hair burning and there is no build up on my flat iron but I use a plug in iron that I keep on low heat and I flat iron my hair after a rollerset, so I am not straightening but taking some of the curl out.

chicacanella

I had to come in this thead as soon as I read hot comb and grease/oil/wax. Even though I am not natural or completely 4a, I must give my opinion.

I don't think wax would be a good idea when pressing your hair. I got my hair pressed one time when I was natural and he didn't use any oil. My hair was so light and fluffy. All he used before blowdrying while it was still wet was a volumizing concoction and a heat protectant. He uses Paul Mitchell and other salon quality products and my hair felt so soft and blew easily in the wind.

But also, with any chemical you aren't natural anymore in my honest opinion.:look:

Kookie

Hi Kookie

I love your hair in your avatar. Very cute.

I am personally not anti-grease or anti-wax (although I went through a phase where I was). The only time I was able to have a succesful press with the wax and heavy oil was at an "old school" professional salon. When I tried it at home, I messed up a few pieces of hair:rolleyes:.

I think you could at least try the method you described to see how it works for your hair. It sounds safer for home presses and seems like it could really work:yep:.

Just be very careful with the level of heat you apply during the pressing process (a pressing comb or flat iron that is too hot is what causes hair to burn/singe and not revert back to its kinky texture).

Do you have a plug-in pressing comb or a Flat Iron?[/quote]

Thanks Twisties!!
I actually have both a plug in pressing comb, a jilibre flat iron, and a maxiglide--I bought all of this stuff about a year and a half ago...but have yet to use it!!

I also bought the pressing oils and stuff--but after what I've researched on this site...I don't think I'll be using this to do my own presses.

On the back of some of the products I read during that time (about a year ago)...a lot of the pressing products said they included beeswax. But I was never too sure what the true functioning of WAX is for the hair. I always thought wax was used for styles such as locs, etc. I also heard that wax is hard to wash out of the hair.

But if wax functions just like a hair oil---I don't think I want to try this myself....

Kookie

Great advice!! Thanks!! :)

Kookie

When I pressed regularly, I would use the satin creme press sometimes. My press came out okay, but it would easily revert. I've never used wax, but I guess it makes sense that it would help prevent the reversion. I don't know about wax as a heat protectant, but the satin creme press does a good job for this.

It does make sense that wax would prevent reversion....
But if it functions like oil on the hair---then it's like "frying" the hair....at least this is what I've learned by researching an old thread about using pressing oils. I don't want to burn my hair permanently straight. But at the same time....when I press it--I want my press to last more than 1 day... :perplexed

Kookie

I had to come in this thead as soon as I read hot comb and grease/oil/wax. Even though I am not natural or completely 4a, I must give my opinion.

I don't think wax would be a good idea when pressing your hair. I got my hair pressed one time when I was natural and he didn't use any oil. My hair was so light and fluffy. All he used before blowdrying while it was still wet was a volumizing concoction and a heat protectant. He uses Paul Mitchell and other salon quality products and my hair felt so soft and blew easily in the wind.

But also, with any chemical you aren't natural anymore in my honest opinion.:look:

Hmmmm....so then what's the functioning of WAX????

I'm so confused on this?
Does it function just like a hair oil--but stickier?
Why would I even want to use this for my presses?

I know people used this stuff back in the day--but they also used the pressing oils and such....which I think helps to get the hair "straighter" in a way (i.e. the "frying" of the hair)--but I don't want to use straight up pressing oils without a real heat protectant.

Any one have any ideas on what exactly a hair wax does for the hair?

chicacanella

Hmmmm....so then what's the functioning of WAX????

I'm so confused on this?
Does it function just like a hair oil--but stickier?
Why would I even want to use this for my presses?

I know people used this stuff back in the day--but they also used the pressing oils and such....which I think helps to get the hair "straighter" in a way (i.e. the "frying" of the hair)--but I don't want to use straight up pressing oils without a real heat protectant.

Any one have any ideas on what exactly a hair wax does for the hair?

To me, wax is like a pomenade but just for people with kinky hair. I don't think it has any long lasting qualitites for the hair but I think it is good to mold certain hairstyles, like swoops, french rolls, etc. Some people don't like to use that alcohol spray cause it causes flakes, itchiness, etc.