When pressing...hot comb over stove or flat iron?

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I am wondering what is the best way for pressing natural hair. I usually use a hot comb over a hot plate whenever I press my daughters hair.

Is it possible to use a flat iron? Will it be just as straight as using a hot comb.
I am looking for ways to improve her hair as well.

Thanks in advance.

vangrey

personally, i think that a flat iron is better. when i was little i used to get my hair pressed with the iron over the stove, but with that method it is easier for you to damage and burn off sections of your hair. whereas with a flat iron, i think it isnt as likely to burn off your hair. plus my stylist always burnt my ear and forehead when she was using the stove method :mad:

L

lkg4healthyhair

My cousin used to use the stove method on her daughter's hair (very very thick), she came over my house and I let her use my flat iron and she loves it and uses the flat iron now.

You can't really control the heat with the stove...

northernbelle

Personally, one gets a smoother, softer look and feel with natural hair when using a hot comb over a hot plate. Provided that you are testing the comb with a paper towel to make sure it is not too hot, your daughter's hair should be fine.

My mother pressed my hair with a hot comb from the time I was about two years old. I received my first relaxer at age 22. My mother would wash and condition my hair, and then plait it into five sections. She would then begin to press my hair when it was still slightly damp, believing that some moisture left in the hair aided the pressing process.

The secret to a good hot comb press, I believe, is using the back of the comb. Additionally, doing an initial press, just to get the kinks out, followed by another light press once you have added a light oil, conditioner, or good old grease to the scalp, massaged it in well, and then comb or brush the hair through, also makes for a good, lasting press. Last, having two hot combs also facilitates the process.

northernbelle

SVT

I prefer flatirons because I get done quicker and they're easier to handle..

Pressing combs give a sleeker look as northenbelle mentioned but you have to really know how to use those.

pressncurl

I use an electric comb, but when I was growing up, my Mom always used a hot comb on the stove. My presses were always super straight. My hair was always a few inches longer than shoulder length, and she rarely if ever burned my hair out. She used the paper towel test and the back of the comb for effect. Now . . . fast forward to me doing my own hair. I tried the stove, but I burned my hand, ear, head, and hair out a few times :ohwell: before I decided I would be better off going electric. I have a Gold n Hot electric with the heat control. I've never used a flat iron to press.

northernbelle

SVT said:
I prefer flatirons because I get done quicker and they're easier to handle..

Pressing combs give a sleeker look as northenbelle mentioned but you have to really know how to use those.

My sentiments exactly, SVT.

Thus the reason why I do NOT press my hair with a pressing comb. I am able to press my mother's hair, but not my own. Like all things, being able to manipulate a pressing comb skillfully is a gift.

northernbelle

so1913

I use a flat iron and get good results just as good as the comb. I use a small ceramic iron.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Thanks Ladies! After reading your reviews, I tried flat ironing. We did finish much quicker, but it is not as straight as I can get it with a press comb. What type of products do you use for flat ironing. Her hair is very coily!

vangrey

@mrslee: what hair type does your daughter have? what setting did you use on the flat iron? did you use any heat protectant?

eta: reason why i am asking about the hair type is because i am a 2b/3b and it doesnt take long to flat iron my hair because it has loose waves and curls which allows it to straighten faster. highly coiled hair, such as 3c and the 4's have difficulty getting their natural hair really straight without using a high set of heat.

Last edited:

mrslee

Love yourself first!
vangrey said:
@mrslee: what hair type does your daughter have? what setting did you use on the flat iron? did you use any heat protectant?

eta: reason why i am asking about the hair type is because i am a 2b/3b and it doesnt take long to flat iron my hair because it has loose waves and curls which allows it to straighten faster. highly coiled hair, such as 3c and the 4's have difficulty getting their natural hair really straight without using a high set of heat.
She has 4b/c if there is such a thing! I have a ceramic flat iron,the highest setting is 25 on it. I think I need to invest in a really good one. After washing and conditioning with the M/T line. I put some blue magic green grease on her hair. It always helps me comb it much easier. Since we were flat ironing, I used Rusk Smoothie and a little NTM on her hair. It felt really soft and so shiny! We just didnt get that bone straight look. Although I think this method is better for her hair. We will try it a few more times and see how it goes.