A New Henna Thread

tapioca_pudding

Will be doing a henna treatment this weekend. Mixing my rajasthani henna with suave shea and almond conditioner for a henna gloss. Will leave on for 3 hours to see if I get color deposit.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Applied henna on Saturday, my mix was simple; water and coconut oil (no citrus) and let that sit for about 16 hours ...

I mixed into a loose paste enough to stay put on an applicator brush to clean dry hair, (I normally apply to wet hair), I found I was able to apply better very similar to a relaxer. I left it in for about 6 hours under a plastic bag and wrapped in a cloth to keep in moisture.

Rinsed out then washed off, I didn't allow it to oxidize like some suggested, then I applied conditioner (aussie moist) and a dc cholesterol treatment for an hour or so same plastic bag and towel wrap method, washed out hair was soft.

And the grey coverage was the best I have ever had since I began using henna 4 years ago.

Only one thing my scalp is so itchy it ridiculous, any one else experienced this?

HanaKuroi

Iwanthealthyhair67 said:
Applied henna on Saturday, my mix was simple; water and coconut oil (no citrus) and let that sit for about 16 hours ...

I mixed into a loose paste enough to stay put on an applicator brush to clean dry hair, (I normally apply to wet hair), I found I was able to apply better very similar to a relaxer. I left it in for about 6 hours under a plastic bag and wrapped in a cloth to keep in moisture.

Rinsed out then washed off, I didn't allow it to oxidize like some suggested, then I applied conditioner (aussie moist) and a dc cholesterol treatment for an hour or so same plastic bag and towel wrap method, washed out hair was soft.

And the grey coverage was the best I have ever had since I began using henna 4 years ago.

Only one thing my scalp is so itchy it ridiculous, any one else experienced this?

Try rinsing again if it is still itchy you might have to use diluted shampoo on your scalp.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

NowIAmNappy

Just took out my faux locs after almost 3 months. I have henna in my hair currently for the past 2 hours. Just used water and let the dye release for two hours then added a little conditioner to put on my hair.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
BranwenRosewood kxlot79

I need help! I almost bought a food scale that was on clearance at Sam's Club then I started thinking :scratchch. Why should I do that? There's plenty of mixtresses on LHCF and two of them that I can think of use henna.

I think it's mandatory for a formulator and/or mixtress to have a food scale. :grin: I hope that I'm correct! :yep:

I want to know how many grams of henna will go in a dry 8 oz cup. I think the 3.5 oz box of henna will not fit in an dry cup. Maybe, if the cup is packed like brown sugar, but I don't think so. Even though the dry cup is 8 oz. I hope my question makes sense! If not, please let me know.

For example, If I purchased a 500 gram bag of henna and dipped a dry measuring cup in the bag. How many grams of henna would that be?

Last edited:

BranwenRosewood

@MileHighDiva

I always use weight or volume measurements so I have no idea how much it would be and I don't have any unopened packs of henna to check for you. A scale is definitely necessary for a formulator/mixtress because it's easier to increase or decrease your yield when using weight.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
BranwenRosewood

The next time you go to make your henna mix will you please measure it? I understand it may be a month or two. You probably have some henna already mixed in the freezer. I know I do. TIA

Smiley79

Am I the only one who fell in love with mixing Coconut milk with my Henna. I used the recipe from Minimalist Beauty: http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/henna-for-hair-101/ and I absolutely love it!!!! ( I think I mentioned this already, oh well) It's as simple as that. I need to reorder some more of this Henna...I'm about to use my last packet this weekend.

150g Nupur 9 Henna

1 can of coconut milk

1/4 cup of hemp seed oil or natural oil mix (optional for dry hair only)

Babygrowth

Am I the only one who fell in love with mixing Coconut milk with my Henna. I used the recipe from Minimalist Beauty: http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/henna-for-hair-101/ and I absolutely love it!!!! ( I think I mentioned this already, oh well) It's as simple as that. I need to reorder some more of this Henna...I'm about to use my last packet this weekend.

150g Nupur 9 Henna

1 can of coconut milk

1/4 cup of hemp seed oil or natural oil mix (optional for dry hair only)

I'm doing this next month! I can't wait!

athenat

That's the recipe I've been using for over a year, it's the best one I've found so far and I have never had henna dry out my hair ever since.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies, can I do a protein and henna treatment in the same day without causing potential problems? I flat ironed my hair silky straight on the 20th, which is why I want to do the protein treatment tomorrow. However, I'm over due for a henna treatment.

myronnie

MileHighDiva yes you can use protein and henna in the same day. I usually use medium protein, shampoo, then henna. I read that the henna wears off faster if you use protein because the henna binds to the protein. I havent noticed any breakage from doing it though.

Wenbev

Ladies, can I do a protein and henna treatment in the same day without causing potential problems? I flat ironed my hair silky straight on the 20th, which is why I want to do the protein treatment tomorrow. However, I'm over due for a henna treatment.

Hey Ms. MileHighDiva, I would personally pass on doing both at the same time. Henna mimics protein the way binds to the hair shaft anyhow.
OR instead of doing an off the shelf protein pack you could add a full fat yogurt to your henna mix only after the dye has released. This way you can kill two birds with one stone.
I have done both ways and prefer to wait until the following wash day but this could be based on my hair porosity. I found that I had protein overload after doing off the shelf protein and henna on the same day as well as using yogurt in the henna mix.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Yes. I do it quite often. I can't use hard proteins but reconstructor after a henna a lot. I've used the 2 min aphogee, an ayurvedic egg recon, hsr, and others. Never an issue.

Duchess007

I added gelatin (2 tbsp in 1/4 c. boiling water) to my post-henna DC last week because I had skipped henna several times and my hair was super mushy. It worked for me. Also, since I keep my DC in the fridge, the hot water helped bring it up to room temp.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

HanaKuroi

I use milcreek keratin and nutrafix right after henna but before I dc. I have never had a problem.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Libra08

Do you ladies henna on dry, unwashed hair? Sorta like a prepoo then shampoo and dc? Or do you shampoo and then apply henna? I've been out of the henna game for a while now.

Duchess007

Do you ladies henna on dry, unwashed hair? Sorta like a prepoo then shampoo and dc? Or do you shampoo and then apply henna? I've been out of the henna game for a while now.

I henna on dry unwashed hair. Usually mix it up before work on Friday, apply it after work, and rinse it out in the morning on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I skipped today's planned henna treatment. I'll do it on my next wash day in 10-14 days.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

BranwenRosewood

Libra08

I shampoo first then apply the henna. I don't co-wash and I've only been washing once a week lately so I have to shampoo first to clean my scalp.