A New Henna Thread

My henna arrived, yay! Going to mix it up with some warm water and conditioner and slap it on my head to see what happens lol. If there is any color change over the next few days, Ill post pics. My starting color is dark brown.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I hennaed last night with Karishma Henna, Coconut milk, Olive oil, and a small amt of Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner. My hair was very silky and moisturized. The Coconut milk really helped!

QUESTION:

Should I do a Henna/Aveda Black Malva Conditioner Gloss or a Henna/Indigo/Aveda Black Malva Conditioner Henna Gloss?

I'm going for a glossy black color with the Henna Benefits. I plan to do them every month to every 2 months.

I hennaed last night with Karishma Henna, Coconut milk, Olive oil, and a small amt of Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner. My hair was very silky and moisturized. The Coconut milk really helped!

I tried a little coconut milk in my last henna. I will use more in my next one with my first Jamila henna application later this week or next week. I normally use Godrej Nupur Mehendi 9 Herbs.

Hair feels a bit hard so Im upping my moisture DCs. Thinking I should have added more conditioner to my mix.

ETA No real color change, me thinks my hair is too dark to achieve much color change.

Henna'ing today!! Mixed my henna yesterday with green tea, amla and brahmi powders. I've applied it to freshly shampoo'd hair and now I'm sitting under the dryer for 1 hour. I'll wash it and DC in 5 hours. This year I'm going to make if to BSL!! I mean it!!!

Hair feels a bit hard so Im upping my moisture DCs. Thinking I should have added more conditioner to my mix.

ETA No real color change, me thinks my hair is too dark to achieve much color change.

The color change happens over time as the henna builds up in your strands. My hair was a 1b after a few months it was almost dark auburn

My roots are becoming a major hassle for me so I think I'll be henna-ing my roots biweekly. Gonna use my beloved Jamila this Sat, got a good feeling about this!

The color change happens over time as the henna builds up in your strands. My hair was a 1b after a few months it was almost dark auburn

DarkJoy Thanks! I actually can see some color change when my hair is in the light... Im sure it will just continue to build up as I use henna, like you said. :yep:

@juliehp my mix was literally warm water, henna and a couple squirts of V05 conditioner. I probably should have added more conditioner and maybe some oils.
Which V05 did you use tapioca_pudding? When leaving in henna mixed with stuff for long periods, you gotta be sure there's no protein or else hard & tangled hair happens. I'm a V05 fanatic myself :) some do have panthenol and other proteins in them. A few hours of that will give anyone overload.

Which V05 did you use tapioca_pudding? When leaving in henna mixed with stuff for long periods, you gotta be sure there's no protein or else hard & tangled hair happens. I'm a V05 fanatic myself :) some do have panthenol and other proteins in them. A few hours of that will give anyone overload.

Oh wow I didnt even think of that... I used one of the moisture milks but didnt pay attention to the ingredients. I have to find a straight moisture DC to add to my mix for next time.... do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Oh wow I didnt even think of that... I used one of the moisture milks but didnt pay attention to the ingredients. I have to find a straight moisture DC to add to my mix for next time.... do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

tapioca_pudding, The moisture milks have BOTH soy protein and panthenol. So that could be why it happened. :ohwell: If you are generally protein sensitive, coconut milk might also give you the same issues.

You can either, a. henna with just water (I usually do and never had helmet head), or b. try a condish like AO Blue Camomile, Dabur Vatika Garlic Mask. Most conditioners have a little protein in them which can make them dangerous for some to leave in for hours.

Other ladies might have moisture only conditioner recommends for you. I mostly reconstructor DC and cowash with V05 :look:

Hope your experience is better next time :)

Oh wow I didnt even think of that... I used one of the moisture milks but didnt pay attention to the ingredients. I have to find a straight moisture DC to add to my mix for next time.... do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much! Sent from my iPad using LHCF

tapioca_pudding
DarkJoy
I recommend Shea Moisture deep treatment masque (yellow label). I mix a few tbs in every henna. I usually dont DC after henna; just cowash it out with VO5. My hair does like a VO5 with protein (freesia with keratin or extra body with collagen) directly after henna though.

AO Honeysuckle rose would be a good choice for mixing; along with the blue cammomile. I have also mixed with eden bodyworks jojoba monoi DC with good results too.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

DarkJoy There goes my problem :/ that's the answer right there - the protein and pathenol. Oy. Its slowly starting to soften up because Im using a conditioner as a leave in (BedHead Moisture Maniac). But I still want to use the henna for added thickness, so I just gotta figure out my mix. Thank you!

mshoneyfly Thank you! I thought about AO Honeysuckle rose because that conditioner always OVER moisturizes my hair, so I figured it would be perfect to use in this case. :yep:

DarkJoy There goes my problem :/ that's the answer right there - the protein and pathenol. Oy. Its slowly starting to soften up because Im using a conditioner as a leave in (BedHead Moisture Maniac). But I still want to use the henna for added thickness, so I just gotta figure out my mix. Thank you!

mshoneyfly Thank you! I thought about AO Honeysuckle rose because that conditioner always OVER moisturizes my hair, so I figured it would be perfect to use in this case. :yep:
tapioca_pudding, more deets pls?

scarcity21 - Ive been using BedHead Moisture Maniac as my leave in and moisturizer for the past week to try to impart some moisture and softness back into my hair. My hair seems to really love it.

Basically I cowash with something random, then towel/tshirt dry my hair a bit. I add a few pumps of the Moisture Maniac to my hair, seal with oil and let it airdry. I recently realized my hair doesnt like airdrying, but it seems to really like this product. I also use it on my ends at night then seal with argan oil for moisture.

Let me know if you want any more specifics!!

When I did mine last weekend, I mixed Godrej Nupur 9 herbs, Red Zinger tea by Celestial Seasonings, & a couple splashes of coconut milk. I left it in for 15 hrs. slept with it in & woke up late. I cowashed it out then did a deep conditioning treatment with Africa's Best Tea tree Cholesterol Treatment, then ORS Olive Oil Masque under the dryer Witt the conditioning cap for 30 min. each.

I couldn't wait to henna, so I applied it relaxer-style to my roots and top 2 inches of hair and let it marinate for like 7 hrs b/c I was lazy.
Cowashed out with V05 pomegranate and kiwi lime condishes, now sitting with moisture dc that I'll rinse out tomorrow. Glad I did this, my hair has more weight to it and was a breeze to detangle! Yay henna :)

Btw I only apply henna on stretched hair, roots first then apply in downward strokes on remaining length. I feel this really keeps the mess and tangle factor down to a minimum.

I've never used henna before but I am interested in it for the hair strenthening properties and also possible loosening my curl patturn. I just want more manageable hair, I'm tired of single strand knots and breakage.

I do not want to die my hair red and I will only use indigo if I have to, like if there is no other way around it.

I went to my henna USA and saw a brand of henna called Hemani. It is supposedly pure henna with something added to get the black color. Here are the dispcriptions on product page:

Natural Henna leaves yellowish-brown color on skin and hairs. But Hemani Black Henna leaves Black Color. It is due to the addition of essential oils in natural Henna. Hemani has made always those products which contains only healthy ingredients. Hemani Black Henna also has healthy ingredients and extracts of natural herb. No artificial color is added in it.

Hemani Henna:
The smell of Henna is irritating for several peoples that’s why these peoples do not use Henna for them. Hemani has sorted out a solution for this problem. Hemani Henna with Bakhoor is the solution. Bakhoor in Hemani Black Henna is basically the product originated in Arabic region. It is made up of woodchips which is soaked in fragrance oil. Hemani Henna Black with Bakhoor not only removes the irritating smell of Henna but also gives a very delightful and beautiful scent to Henna. It leaves beautiful on your skin and hairs which stays for a long time and gives pleasant effect to you.

Method of Application:
Pour Henna Powder into a bowl. Add Boiling water gradually then stir slowly until you get a creamy thick liquid. Apply the mixture over Dry Clean Hair and keep it for 30-40 minutes then wash properly. The paste can also ben applied on Dry Clean Hands in desired drawings.

I'm not so sure about this so I thought I would ask the henna experts here.

Thanks ladies

Trying to upload the image again.
This chart shows the colors that can be achieved by mixing henna and indigo together before applying it to your hair. It's not the two step method.
Although, I think the chart is in reverse.
It should be:
85% Henna + 15% Indigo
75% Henna + 25% Indigo
60% Henna + 40% Indigo
50% Henna + 50% Indigo

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpg
    IMG_7632.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back