A New Henna Thread

Leo24Rule

I haven't done any regular treatments but I have some amla I'd like to use up (this was a bit drying when I mixed with henna). I'm still a little traumatised from my last fenugreek treatment but I'd like to try that again this yr.

What happens with the use of fenugreek?

GGsKin

What happens with the use of fenugreek?

I only used it once or twice. It was supposed to be conditioning; strengthening and promote growth, but it was a debacle. I failed to properly blend and/ or strain my mix and so it took an eternity to wash out of my hair. I almost passed out standing in my super hot shower for so long. Plus, I only got the curry smell and not the maple syrup that some people seem to smell.

imaginary

I only used it once or twice. It was supposed to be conditioning; strengthening and promote growth, but it was a debacle. I failed to properly blend and/ or strain my mix and so it took an eternity to wash out of my hair. I almost passed out standing in my super hot shower for so long. Plus, I only got the curry smell and not the maple syrup that some people seem to smell.

This was my exact experience. I'm gonna try it again though. Eventually.

Goombay_Summer

I''ve consistently used Napur Godrej henna for approximately 5 years. I became a henna head to strengthen my fine strands and for the added colour benefits. Sadly, my grey hairs are extremely disrespectful but I'd rather they look Ronald McDonald red than white/grey. Sadly I'm too lazy to indigo because it's already a labor intensive process.

My henna mix consisted of a splash of EVOO & EVCO, plain yogurt, and hot organic Hibiscus tea. Tomorrow will be the first time that I'll be experimenting with just Coconut milk (based on the rave reviews in this thread).

GGsKin

Hennaed my mum's roots last night. She has locs that have been previoulsy dyed some shades of red, (now copper). I think she enjoyed the process and the few grays she has came out matching her locs exactly. I'll see her again tomorrow and see what she's saying.

She made me want to henna again, but I'll hold off, since I want to try this Apho.gee 2 Step soon.

ZapMami

Hopefully I will be doing a henna treatment this weekend. My gray roots are coming in already and I just demi-colored it 2.5 weeks ago. I guess it's a good sign of fast hair growth which is always positive.

@Aggie can you share how you rotate between the henna and demi-color. do you rotate like every three weeks or so?

ZapMami

@Aggie Thank you. I'm thinking about trying this instead of going to a stylist all the time. My hair grows so fast I can see roots in a week, so it's just money down the drain. I think I can do a better job myself

Aggie

@Aggie Thank you. I'm thinking about trying this instead of going to a stylist all the time. My hair grows so fast I can see roots in a week, so it's just money down the drain. I think I can do a better job myself
I'm sure this is a better way for you. All the best with it.

GGsKin

Long time henna users, I have some questions:
  1. do you think henna has made your hair heavier?
  2. Has it loosened your curl pattern at all?
  3. Has it increased your hair's shine?
  4. How frequently do you henna and what's in your mix?

I'm not really a long time user but I'll answer.
1. I'd say no. My hair does feel different immediately after a treatment- stronger, but not heavier. I wouldn't say my hair henna makes my hair hang more.

2. Henna can loosen your hair pattern depending upon application technique and other hair qualities. I scrunch and squeeze henna into my strands but even with this technique, my fine ends at the front/ crown can't take another henna application. They may have straightened a bit due to wear and weathering but I think henna also plays a part.

3. My hair has more sheen than shine but it does glisten after a henna treatment. I won't say that it's the only factor.

4. I don't have a schedule so this last one made me look back in my calendar for my last few henna treatments. My last one was Apr 1st. The time before that was Nov 2016. Then Jun/ July 2016. I notice a pattern in frequency. I go 4 or 5 months between treatments, then tend to do two, 3 or so weeks apart. I use henna mainly for colour, so any time I feel my hair could do with a pop, I'll mix some up. Doing two treatments relatively close together intensifies the colour.

I like to use Rajasthani henna, hibiscus powder, tea (steeped from the hibiscus) and water. I've trialled other goodies but this is my favourite, basic mix.

bluenvy

Questions 1,2 and 3 my answer is no.
Question 4. I use henna quarterly. Nupur henna, mixed with Goya coconut milk.

Since henna acts as an protein (strengthening) treatment in my hair, I space these treatments months apart.

At first I tried henna because I was pregnant and opted out from using chemicals to color. I was impressed how it strengthen my hair and covered protruding grays.
I use it for these purposes only.

imaginary

1. No
2. Sometimes, but the results aren't really permanent.
3. No
4. Randomly; sometimes twice in a month and sometimes once every few. I mix with coconut milk.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hi Ms. Nightingale:wave:

@Nightingale

I'm not consistent with it, although I use it what I would call "regularly". I mix it with Coconut Milk and a squirt of Oil.

I use it for color. I think my last Application was mid-April. Not sure when I'll apply it again? Maybe sometime in June.

I think it makes my hair feel & look healthier.

I use it to cover grey with Indigo and I use Body Art Quality (BAQ)Henna for Chemically Treated and African American Hair from mehandi.

I used this when Relaxed and just kept buying the same one once I transitioned to "Natural"