A New Henna Thread

Aggie

ok so i did the henna and then the indigo. i didnt get the results from the indigo like i expected. the hair darkened but it was far from that raven black hair i wanted!! :look: what can i do to make it black??:ohwell:
if i wanted to indigo again to try to get it darker/black, do i have to henna again too?

No you do not. The henna is already deposited on your strands so you can go ahead and apply indigo again if you wish.

Jetblackhair

ok so i did the henna and then the indigo. i didnt get the results from the indigo like i expected. the hair darkened but it was far from that raven black hair i wanted!! :look: what can i do to make it black??:ohwell:
if i wanted to indigo again to try to get it darker/black, do i have to henna again too?

Also, try adding a pinch of salt to your Indigo to help deepen the color.

wheezy807

I noticed that the other Henna thread was getting really long. I hope you all don't mind if I start another.:look:

What brand of Henna are you using? Where do you purchase it? I'm using Jamila Brand. I purchased my first two boxes from a vendor that's no longer in business.:sad: I purchased my last two boxes from another member of LHCF. I'm still working on perfecting my henna mix.

Please feel free to share your tips and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other.

Here are a few links to some highly recommended vendors:

Henna For Hair
Henna Sooq
From Nature With Love

A few helpful links:

Frequently Asked Questions

Warnings

I hope this helps!

*Special thanks to Victorious!*:kiss:
I wonder why those links aren't working? I've never used henna before but i think i wanna give it a try after 3-4 failed attempts of black with my beloved color showers.:perplexed

Khadija.D.Carryl

Not sure, but I know the first 3 are working.

Actually just double checked.

If you look up top at the heading of the URL you will http twice. remove any excess http and stuff like that and it should work when you load it again

wheezy807

Sorry for the dumb question, but i dunno. So if i want to dye my hair black i should use the indigo henna? Or does this jamila henna come in different colors?

honeybadgirl

No you do not. The henna is already deposited on your strands so you can go ahead and apply indigo again if you wish.

ok, great, thanks!!!
also i did add salt the 1st time:(
i want black hair and like i said it got dark but its not black. i even separated a same section of hair in the front from the indigo process just to add some flair to my outcome. thats how i can see the difference in color but again, its not BLACK.:nono::grin:
thanks again ladies!! i will try, try again:yep:

Angelicus

Hello everyone. :wave:

I have tried at least 4 brands of henna, with Karishma Henna being the best I have ever used. It glides on my hair and leaves it very silky-- even after washing it out.

Unfortunately, yesterday, I used one of the other brands that I have used before-- Mumtaz. Although it's good, I will only being using Karishma from now on. I have become spoiled by the way it makes my hair feel. Mumtaz felt like coarse dirt on my hair, but the color is quite amazing.

I also did an indigo dye application immediately after rinsing out my henna (I do not detangle with conditioner, just slap the indigo. Of course, the result is beautiful, jet black hair.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
That looks good! Which henna did you use?

Thanks Muse I used Dulhan Henna. This is 100% henna and it's BAQ. It started releasing color like 10 minutes after rinsing, I kid you not. I only added water and used a lot of conditioner after rinsing out the henna. I love it and will be using it until I find Jamila henna.

Here's another view:

hurricane

Any transitioners using Henna? Does it help make the transition easier?

I'm thinking about using it to stretch my relaxers. I did this once. I used henna about 2 weeks before my relaxer and my new growth was "relaxed". I could have gone longer but I'm a slave to my beautician.:lachen:If I don't keep a regular appointment, I have to be fitted in.:wallbash:

Platinum

I'm thinking about using it to stretch my relaxers. I did this once. I used henna about 2 weeks before my relaxer and my new growth was "relaxed". I could have gone longer but I'm a slave to my beautician.:lachen:If I don't keep a regular appointment, I have to be fitted in.:wallbash:

Cool! I'm transitioning in braids. I plan to do this atleast a year so I'll Henna when I take breaks. I know that after 6 months, my hair becomes wild and out of control.:wallbash: I don't want to use anything like BTK because I want to get to know my natural texture.:look:

Last edited:

Muse

Hello everyone. :wave:

I have tried at least 4 brands of henna, with Karishma Henna being the best I have ever used. It glides on my hair and leaves it very silky-- even after washing it out.

Unfortunately, yesterday, I used one of the other brands that I have used before-- Mumtaz. Although it's good, I will only being using Karishma from now on. I have become spoiled by the way it makes my hair feel. Mumtaz felt like coarse dirt on my hair, but the color is quite amazing.

I also did an indigo dye application immediately after rinsing out my henna (I do not detangle with conditioner, just slap the indigo. Of course, the result is beautiful, jet black hair.

I can't wait until my Karishma henna comes in, it should be here this week. This past week I used BAQ Jamila and it was soooooo much better than the Jamila for hair that I had been using. I can see a difference in color and conditioning. My hair was very soft after conditioning and before putting any leave ins in. I can find Jamila for hair locally for $2 but I think it is well worth the extra $$$ to get the BAQ one. I'm guessing the hair one I was using was outdated as well.
I can't wait to compare the BAQ Jamila to Karishma. I hope Karishma wins because it will be a lot cheaper than Jamila.

Muse

BTW, if any of you ladies are finding it hard to combat any dryness after henna try Qhemet leave ins. They work so well! I did a henna treatment this weekend, used shampoo to wash it out and only did a quick 5 minute DC in the shower after and the Qhemet leave ins have kept my hair soft and moisturized for days! I am a transitioning 4b with the dryest hair ever(well I use to-not any more). It's good stuff!:yep: I used the Burdock cream and the Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm to seal.

I also think it helped that I used BAQ Jamila instead of the hair quality one.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
BTW, if any of you ladies are finding it hard to combat any dryness after henna try Qhemet leave ins. They work so well! I did a henna treatment this weekend, used shampoo to wash it out and only did a quick 5 minute DC in the shower after and the Qhemet leave ins have kept my hair soft and moisturized for days! I am a transitioning 4b with the dryest hair ever(well I use to-not any more). It's good stuff!:yep: I used the Burdock cream and the Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm to seal.

I also think it helped that I used BAQ Jamila instead of the hair quality one.

It's best not to use shampoo to rinse out our henna. It's super drying and you are washing out the coating on the hair strand. All that work for nothing.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, buy the Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. It works wonderfully. It's all natural and very, very inexpensive and moisturizes like an expensive product ($2.99).

Muse

It's best not to use shampoo to rinse out our henna. It's super drying and you are washing out the coating on the hair strand. All that work for nothing.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, buy the Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. It works wonderfully. It's all natural and very, very inexpensive and moisturizes like an expensive product ($2.99).

Hey JN, thanks for letting me know! I actually use TJ Nourish Spa conditioner to rinse henna normally but it takes sooooo long. I am not going to use shampoo anymore because I certainly don't want to wash away the progress especially after all the work it takes to get it in. Thanks again!

PS. How long after a henna treatment do you wait to shampoo?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hey JN, thanks for letting me know! I actually use TJ Nourish Spa conditioner to rinse henna normally but it takes sooooo long. I am not going to use shampoo anymore because I certainly don't want to wash away the progress especially after all the work it takes to get it in. Thanks again!

PS. How long after a henna treatment do you wait to shampoo?

You should allow 48 hours for the treatment to oxidize. After that you can shampoo, but you really shouldn't need to unless you exercise and sweat on your scalp profusely. Even then, condition wash using a product that is for color-treated hair. It helps to maintain the vibrancy of your color deposit.

Muse

You should allow 48 hours for the treatment to oxidize. After that you can shampoo, but you really shouldn't need to unless you exercise and sweat on your scalp profusely. Even then, condition wash using a product that is for color-treated hair. It helps to maintain the vibrancy of your color deposit.

Awesome, thanks! I will go back to using conditioner to wash henna out. I want to make sure I'm getting the very best results. Now i can't wait for the weekend so I can henna again!!!

LadyD

This is a distress call. :lachen:

I just CAN'T seem to get this right. I have quite a bit of gray in the front of my hair. The first henna I did a one step with henna and indigo. It did not cover the gray. The second henna I did a two step process with henna and then indigo. The grey covered and about a week later the grays turned an brownish orange color. I ordered Katam and tried again by mixing half katam and half henna, it STILL did not cover the gray.

Is there any hope? Is there anyone else having trouble covering gray? Can someone help? I really don't want to go back to box dye because it is so drying to my hair and I always have breakage when I try to use it but I can't deal with the two tone look I have going on now.

Khadija.D.Carryl

It sounds like your greys are really giving you a tough time, and you aren't the first person I have heard have trouble. It's usually the short tiny ones around the edges. But are they all of your greys?

Tell me more about your indigo and henna mix? What henna were you using? Did you use at least 60% indigo to 40% henna? Did you try adding any amla to your recipe to darken further?

Maybe we can figure something out.

LadyD

It sounds like your greys are really giving you a tough time, and you aren't the first person I have heard have trouble. It's usually the short tiny ones around the edges. But are they all of your greys?

Tell me more about your indigo and henna mix? What henna were you using? Did you use at least 60% indigo to 40% henna? Did you try adding any amla to your recipe to darken further?

Maybe we can figure something out.

Thanks for helping.

It's the short ones in the front but I also have long stands throughout the front and crown.

I use Nupur Henna. I used 2 parts Indigo to 1 part Henna. I also added amla to it.

Khadija.D.Carryl

hhmmmm how about a touch of salt to your indigo part of the recipe? That might help it stick better. Make sure the coverage is really good and thick. Some times some greys are just really stubborn. I still know some people toughing it out, and battling their greys. Sometimes the indigo doesn't stick as well when the strands change (grey hairs change from our regular hair). and they don't always grasp color as well. But don't give up. We can dry again. Do you think another henna might help better? It sounds like the Nupur is working well though

LadyD

hhmmmm how about a touch of salt to your indigo part of the recipe? That might help it stick better. Make sure the coverage is really good and thick. Some times some greys are just really stubborn. I still know some people toughing it out, and battling their greys. Sometimes the indigo doesn't stick as well when the strands change (grey hairs change from our regular hair). and they don't always grasp color as well. But don't give up. We can dry again. Do you think another henna might help better? It sounds like the Nupur is working well though

I did add salt to my indigo. So are you saying use the henna and katam and then do indigo? Or leave the katam out?
Thanks