A tale of three almost baldies

almond eyes

As I have repeated ad naseum, I went to a barber and got my hair shaved almost three weeks ago. I was not bald but nearly bald and it was the best decision ever for me.

My cousin has been shaving her hair for the past two years.

My sister has been shaving her hair for eight years.

Here are my observations:

1. When I shaved my head, I did it because in the past whenever I had transitioned from the relaxed hair (with a mild BC), my new growth and the relaxed hair
led to eventual splits as my hair grew longer and also I experienced as my
hair grew longer coils at the top and then frizz and some 3C pieces that I was never sure old relaxed ends or my own hair. I was obsessed with cutting my hair to rid myself of every inch of the relaxer even three years into being natural.

2. My hair this time around even though I had not relaxed since December was very fine, frizzy and was dry and responded to no shampoos or conditioners. So, I wanted to start with a fresh head of hair and be more aware of not using hair products with too many chemicals that would make my hair dry and crunchy.

3. For me, BC was not going to work because I had BC'd and I still didn't like how my hair was reacting. I had been natural before but this period around was the longest I ever kept my relaxer (two years) and I didn't like how fine it looked and felt.

4. I was kind of hoping that my hair would not grow out as fine and would be thicker but I think that is a pipe dream but it is growing in quickly and nicely after three weeks. So fine hair women beware but also if you hair got even finer after a relaxer mishap with over and under processing, you may find that your fine hair is healthy and not limp looking.

5. My barber advised me to mild shampoo every day and only conditioner if I felt like it. I use a natural shampoo. But everyone is different and I am not saying wash your hair every day or not condition or only use certain products.

6. Now, in the past three weeks my hair is becoming coily and wavy. My sides near my temples which never had a curl pattern is not showing any curl pattern. Gel doesn't work for me because my theory is that fine hair doesn't have enough diameters for the gel to make a strong impact.

7. I pretty much leave my hair alone. After I shampoo it I do not brush it. When I brush it my hair turns to frizz and the fineness of my hair shows.

8. My cousin has no curl pattern at all what so ever. Her hair is very thin and coarse. She wears it half shaved by choice. She has worn her hair natural before and her mother is natural with the same hair so she is not surprised that her hair has no coils, or waves or even a cloud of frizz. Her hair is like chaff wheat. She accepts that and doesn't mind.

9. My sister's hair gets wavy but she hates hair so always shaves it before it begins to grow up.

So my observations, if you are thinking of shaving don't do it in the hopes of finding coils and curls because they might not be there. Do it because you want a new look or start with healthier hair. I was glad I did because my hair has always been so many textures and always turned out uneven after each transition so for me shaving was a good thing to start fresh. I also think for me having my hair shaved has been a good experience.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited: