A Tumbleweed

Nick Chavez is on QVC and was talking about "difficult, dry" hair african american hair and the lady said "like a tumbleweed!"

Why do people outside of our race say negative things about our hair and they don't know squat... I mean I have a bush but i love it!

Mr. Chaves needs to go somewhere with that greasy, stringy, aneroxic, wanna be ponytail... looking like a former racehorse on its way to the glu factory....
sorry had to vent...:spinning:

But how do we change the perception of AA hair and show it has variety and isnt a curse or a burden?

Last edited:

tnorenberg

I wouldn't pay him much mind. He has gone from just a hairstylist to a TV personality. I'm sure in his own way he thought he was being funny in order to sell a product.He has to make you feel like there is something inherently WRONG with you and your hair to make his ORDINARY products look like the best thing since sliced, white bread...no pun intended. I have tried his products and they are nothing I would purchase again.

Yea...I know I shouldnt let him get me upset...he was selling softflocker cream...26 bucks! I just know part of the reason I'm upset is because a peer gave an "informative" speech about the black community...so I'm on a crusade for ethnic appreciation lol...

frizzy

Thanks for the heads-up, greasy pony boy will never get a dime of my money! :nono: He just joked himself out of a goldmine. hahahaha

My Friend

Nick Chavez is on QVC and was talking about "difficult, dry" hair african american hair and the lady said "like a tumbleweed!"

Why do people outside of our race say negative things about our hair and they don't know squat... I mean I have a bush but i love it!

Mr. Chaves needs to go somewhere with that greasy, stringy, aneroxic, wanna be ponytail... looking like a former racehorse on its way to the glu factory....

But how do we change the perception of AA hair and show it has variety and isnt a curse or a burden?

IMHO, GET MAD!!!!! We are the only ones that can MAKE A CHANGE.

Each time we see or hear these things we should act not react. We should inform Corporations, Celebrity figures, etc. that if they want the black $$$$, they need to respect the black community. Trust me,:yep: talk in $$$$ and they will listen.

It seems everyone wants a piece of the $$billion$$ spent by AA on hair and beauty each year. Yet, none of that money is coming back into the community (different thread :yep: coming soon near you).

We can respectfully voice our opinions. Below is his website and information on how to contacting him.

http://www.nickchavezbeverlyhills.com/about-us

Kash

what he said is un-pc...but to be honest, me and all my friends refer to our hair as 'tumbleweeds' when our hair is in its natural state and super dry.
i guess it's one of those terms black folks can use with each other; but a white person...uhmmm no.
oh well, i'm still a fan of his products. and i'm at point in my hair journey that i don't give a flying flip what others think of my hair texture.

what he said is un-pc...but to be honest, me and all my friends refer to our hair as 'tumbleweeds' when our hair is in its natural state and super dry.
i guess it's one of those terms black folks can use with each other; but a white person...uhmmm no.
oh well, i'm still a fan of his products. and i'm at point in my hair journey that i don't give a flying flip what others think of my hair texture.

I know that when my hair is dry and I havent nurtured it, then it tends to be rough...but not all the time, not even most of the time. He just made it out to be like we all have the same texture and it would take a miracle to help our hair be manageable.

frizzy

Especially a white person trying to make money off of me.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:<--screaming

i feel you<---stomach hurts now, :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

BostonMaria

Is this who said it?

:lachen: I would be mad, but look at him.

Soliel185

I know that when my hair is dry and I havent nurtured it, then it tends to be rough...but not all the time, not even most of the time. He just made it out to be like we all have the same texture and it would take a miracle to help our hair be manageable.

I think it's that attitude that really rubs me the wrong way these days. That it would take a "miracle" as though I am just so burdened with my hair and I only wear it this way b/c it's too difficult to do anything else with. It's like "Dang. It's difficult, but it's not born of the loins of Satan or anything." I don't want to listen to someone down my hair b/c it doesn't look the way their poor little misguided minds assume I would want it to look.

If I walk into a BSS and the lady thinks she's being helpful by offering to help me find something to "control" my hair she's about the get the side eye of death and a nice little earful about how I LOVE my hair and I make it BIGGER on PURPOSE. :wallbash:

dynamic1

Most won't like the answer to this question. Many of us agree with Nick Chavez or the Korean beauty supply business would buckle. Anything we embrace, gets embraced then hijacked by others.