Achieving Touchable hair

Chimma

My hair is well conditioned and retaining moisture, but I also put enough products in my hair that my hair will feel slightly greasy if you touch it.

How do I get touchable hair, hair that I would feel comfortable letting a SO run his hands through w/o him feeling the need to wipe his hands after touching my hair? I haven't found a routine as good for getting my hair looking moisturized, feeling soft, etc. as the one that I currently have. But w/o products, my hair looks and feels dry to me, except if it has been pressed, in which case if I remember correctly, I can leave it touchable.

This question is especially addressed to naturals, since most of my hair is natural. If you have touchable type 4 hair, how do you keep your hair from feeling/looking dry? Do you use any oils in your hair?

Kaela

What is your current routine?
I bet you will be able to achieve this, with most of the same products, just by using a little less of each...

I know you'll get some good suggestions for this.

Chimma

Currently, I do a deep condition/oil treatment once a week w/ olive oil and a deep conditioner. First, I rinse my hair. Then I apply olive oil generously and then the deep conditioner generously. I comb through to distribute the products. Then, I leave it in my hair with a shower cap over my head for about an hour. Then I rinse it out, and then do a conditioner only wash.

On a weekly basis, I apply a shea butter/olive oil mix as a leave in for my hair and comb through. I like to put vaseline on my ends when I remember, because of the vaseline challenge. Occassionally, I use gel or Sta-Sof-Fro to flatten my hair if I want to wear it in a style that is hard to get nonpoofy, like some updos.

I clarify when needed.

Do you really think that using less product will work and still allow my hair to be non dry and soft? I usually apply somewhat generously in order to get maximum effect.

Karonica

What worked me one time that was excellent, was rollerwrapping, and once the rollers were out, ONLY using Hot 6 Oil, not any grease. My hair was lightweight and soft. But that didn't last long since I love grease.

Chimma

Do you know of any ways to achieve consistently touchable hair w/o heat? So that your hair is touchable almost every day?

adrienne0914

chimma, when i wear my hair in a braid out, i use the same products that i do for the bun. i use a World of Curls activator gel and Fantasia IC gel mix. i spread it evenly throughout. then i put Vaseline just on my ends. it goes on sticky. i pull into my ponytail and bun it. when it's dry, i have loose waves. and it's touchable.

you might want to try that or a similar mix. using curl activator gel vs. a spray, i don't have to put it on so often. it also goes on heavier without using alot and provides more lasting moisture.

also, with the Vaseline, try using it just occasionally, not every day. i think that can make the hair feel greasy if used too often.

Kaela

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
Do you really think that using less product will work and still allow my hair to be non dry and soft? I usually apply somewhat generously in order to get maximum effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play around with the amounts that you use and try and see. Gradually decrease the amounts of some of the oil, and see if you can still retain moisture. With your leave in, try substituting a small amount of leave in conditioner for a portion of the olive oil. I find that my hair is a lot softer using both leave in conditioner and oil/shea instead of just one or the other.

MotownGrl reviewed a lot of products for natural hair and describes how they worked for her, that might give you some ideas too MotownGrl Product Review

sengschick

The Bun Master
I think deep conditioning is the key. If you find something heavy and condition with a heat cap regularly your hair will soften. My hair is of the cottony soft type and completely natural, Type 3c/4a. The best product I've found to make my hair feel even more silky is Phytodefisant Balm by Phyto. Higher end, but worth every dime. You hair will detangle in half the time, dry faster and shed less than you thought possible. It's made to really silken the hair w/heat, but you will be able to feel the difference almost immediately.

On wash day I apply the product after shampooing and conditioning, then I section my hair and begin combing/detangling. I also apply Nexxus Botanic Oil while my hair is still wet. My hair is never greasy, but is soft and super shiny.

AllAboutTheHair

Hi, I am a newbie to this site(but I have been lerking for quite some time)
I use a flaxseed and olive oil mix on mostly wet hair after I condition and air dry. It dries cottony soft

Purtygurly

hmmm.. I have 4a hair and I don't have a problem with greasiness. I put in ALOT of oil (only on wash day though, about a quater sized on every quater of my head), the same amount of leave in, a moisturizer and sometimes some hair polish. I wet set it. After everythings dry I get a tiny bit of sheen on my hands, bbut it goes away later in the day.

I understand what you mean by needing to use alot of product, if I didn't use as much as I do my hair would look and feel terrible.

If you use anything really heavy, maybe you should switch it. I use wgo/hot 6/jojoba oil... They aren't so heavy.

btw, it may not seem like I use alot of product, but my hair is short.

Chimma

Thanks for the tips and the product review site!
The next time I wash and deep condition my hair, I will oil my scalp but go lighter on the hair oil/play around with it and see how it goes. I'll try out the curl activator gel as a leave in as well.

Phytodefisant Balm is a little too pricey for my student budget though.

How long does a bottle last?

sengschick

The Bun Master
It comes in two sizes, the smaller is $22, the larger $28. You don't need much product. My hair is thick and natural, and typically soaks up a lot of product. But with this one I only use a nickle to dime size portion. I wash once every 5-7 days. I'm sure it'll last 3 mos., if not more.

Before I converted to Phyto, I was committed to Nexxus and the Aveda Brilliance line, which was made for black hair. I used a product called by Aveda, Universal Styling Creme, which makes your hair gleam too but its a little heavier. My hair is somewhat fine, so the Phyto keeps it bouncy, full and light. Again, I used the Aveda product in conjunction w/the Nexxus oil, after blow drying and before flat ironing.