Advice Please

snookes

Daily spritzing and even using water based leave ins (LOC method) makes my hair shrink and tangle something fierce causing me breakage to where my hair has been the same length in over a year. So should I just use butters do you think like Jane Carter's nourish and shine for example to moisturize my hair and retain length??

Last edited:
Daily spritzing and even using water based leave ins (LOC method) makes my hair shrink and tangle something fierce causing breakage. Should I just use butters do you think, like Jane Carter's nourish and shine to moisturize and retain length??
Any water based product will cause your hair to revert and possibly shrink. I don't have product recs but you could probably keep your hair stretched to minimize tangles

Daily spritzing and even using water based leave ins (LOC method) makes my hair shrink and tangle something fierce causing me breakage to where my hair has been the same length in over a year. So should I just use butters do you think like Jane Carter's nourish and shine for example to moisturize my hair and retain length??
TGIN makes a daily moisturizer that works nicely.

Perhaps you are using too much of the leave-in. May just a little on the hands and then apply it to the hair might help and then not at the root but along the length.

Any water based product will cause your hair to revert and possibly shrink. I don't have product recs but you could probably keep your hair stretched to minimize tangles
Thanks KammyGirl I keep my hair stretched as much as possible since learning about it on the Green Beauty Channel on YouTube. I am still trying to suss my natural hair out

TGIN makes a daily moisturizer that works nicely.

Perhaps you are using too much of the leave-in. May just a little on the hands and then apply it to the hair might help and then not at the root but along the length.
Thanks but I live in a hill billy town in the UK. But I will most certainly try using less

Thanks but I live in a hill billy town in the UK. But I will most certainly try using less
Oh Sorry about that. Then trying using less of the liquid. Then do your oil and cream and then braid it up. If you are moisturizing regularly then you don't need to spritz it a lot. Maybe pin your braids to keep them stretched or put them on some rollers. Skip the liquid in the morning if you can.

Oh Sorry about that. Then trying using less of the liquid. Then do your oil and cream and then braid it up. If you are moisturizing regularly then you don't need to spritz it a lot. Maybe pin your braids to keep them stretched or put them on some rollers. Skip the liquid in the morning if you can.
Good advice thank you @faithVA Ps can I just lightly spritz than just seal with the nourish and shine after and leave out the cream as it shrinks me hair again? Or shall I just use less of all 3 products do you think?

@snookes
faithVA pretty much summed up what I was gonna say, which is to try a leave in with a lotion-like consistency. I usually thin out my thick leave-ins with AVJ or water and some type of oil.

After I wash my hair, I load it up with the oil/leave-in, then braid and curl the hair. But the cherry on top happens when I re-load with the leave-in again after the hair has fully dried (usually the next day). That puts major sealed moisture in my hair and I only have to do a minimum to keep it moisturized and edges neat until the next wash day.

You also may need to clarify and/or trim your ends.

Hi,

I found that what works for me is to only put in the leave-in conditioner once per week,, after my hair has dried from being washed. I was putting it in every day, then every other day, then I realized that I already had conditioner in it, so why was I putting so much in it? So now I use it the one time with oil and then the rest of the week, I lightly spritz one time per day (I also figured out more than once per day is too much for me), when I style it or twist it up at night and maybe a tiny bit of oil if I need it. I don't ever add any moisture when I take out the twists because it will shrink and ruin the twist out.

Hi,

I found that what works for me is to only put in the leave-in conditioner once per week,, after my hair has dried from being washed. I was putting it in every day, then every other day, then I realized that I already had conditioner in it, so why was I putting so much in it? So now I use it the one time with oil and then the rest of the week, I lightly spritz one time per day (I also figured out more than once per day is too much for me), when I style it or twist it up at night and maybe a tiny bit of oil if I need it. I don't ever add any moisture when I take out the twists because it will shrink and ruin the twist out.

This. If your DC and finishing products are doing their jobs, there's no need to moisturize/refresh every day. For me, that would constitute overkill.

I use grapeseed oil then like Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter and will sometimes use raw shea butter on top of that on my ends. They feel nice. What type of shampoo and conditioner are you using? That may play a role as well. Do you think you need a trim?

Good advice thank you @faithVA Ps can I just lightly spritz than just seal with the nourish and shine after and leave out the cream as it shrinks me hair again? Or shall I ju@st use less of all 3 products do you think?
@snookes. I'm sorry. I didn't see that you asked me a question. How is it going? What did you decide to do?

Not sure how the creme causes your hair to shrink but not the spritz? That is odd. Hopefully you tried the spritz and seal and that worked for you. Let us know.

Back