African Braid shop experience

caramelty

Okay ladies I finally did I went and got some more tyzillions. After spending 2 hours in the beauty supply friday night trying to find the hair I wanted to use b/c the lady told me that I would need 24 inches. I get to the African shop the next morning with my hair in a ponytail in a ball the lady tells me to sit down and she removes the rubber band and just immediately started talking their language all loud then all the african ladies turned and looked at my hair came over to my chair putting their hands in it. I was quoted 165 over the phone but after she looked at my hair she said 190 b/c your hair is long and thick she said we have to braid longer on your hair and then still add hair at the I wanted to get up but I was just like I am here now anyways they started 11 something and I was out of there buy 7 so that really wasnt that bad one of the ladies in there had some tree braids that were gorgeous I aske how much for that and they said 250 but for you 300. Okay I have never experienced this in my life I know my hair is growing but coming from other people it does make it seem like its worth it....Anyways I love my braids I have them in the Rosa parks style braid across the front and the back down...I will take pictures tonight. I also asked how much for a touch up and they said 60 bucks but for you and I just stopped her right there and said nevermind lol..........

beyondcute

HAHAH! They do it ALL THE TIME! Thats why I braid my own hair now... The only thing you can do is cut your hair or braid it yourself. The shops around here go by your hair length. If its longer than shoulder length the up the price. One on my friends was laughed at when she went to get her hair braided... It was almost tail length. I told her they weren't gonna do it... :nono:

caramelty

girl that is how they were acting like they didn't want to do my hair I was a little upset. My girl was there and they got done with her before me I knew they were talking about me oh and then she asked me what did I have in my hair....lol.....MTG I was like something for animals so she started taking off her rings she was like I smell sulfur and that messes up our JEWELRY lol......but then when I got ready to leave she gonna ask me where I get the stuff from that I put in my hair....

vaqtea

Caramelty you hair is gorgeous! :love:
What is your regimine?
I also looked at your photo album, when was your firt picture taken?
Your hair has grown out so lovely!

caramelty

Thanks ladies....I will post my pics of braids 2morrow I really like them alot. I plan on wearing braids for a whole year getting them done over and over again.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
i had a similar experience......i was told that individual braids started at 150 but was told i would be charged 200 because my hair was so long! But then they bumped it doown to 180...and this is with me using the largest braids that they did (pencil size)...but let me tell you---my hyair came out looking FABULOUS!!!!! It only tok them 6 hours....and I had fun because I could speak French to them....they really got a kick out of that. Aside from all the new growth I have....and I have a LOT....A LOT, I tell ya!!! Aside from that, my hair looks relatively fresh even though the braids been in for almost two months....I htink I will take them out before the new year.

CurliDiva

I walked out of my regular braids shop two weeks ago - the braider was RUDE and insisted that I could only get Black #1B colored extensions, because that was the only color she had. NOT, I refused to pay $200 for a braided style that I don't want!

You have the money, you have the POWER of choice! :cool:

DragonPearl

caramelty said:
girl that is how they were acting like they didn't want to do my hair I was a little upset. My girl was there and they got done with her before me I knew they were talking about me oh and then she asked me what did I have in my hair....lol.....MTG I was like something for animals so she started taking off her rings she was like I smell sulfur and that messes up our JEWELRY lol......but then when I got ready to leave she gonna ask me where I get the stuff from that I put in my hair....

Priceless!!! :lachen:

sky_blu

See this is why I havent been to an African braid shop yet. They charge too much for me. The only reason I would go is because the times isnt as long as going to your neighborhood braider who might not finish until the next day.

FeelinIt

I used to get mad about the price hike because I thought it was bogus. And to some extent I think it is but when you do longer hair, it takes more time. And time is money. Meaning they could have had another $300.00 dollar customer in their chair dealing with long hair.

My pet peeve with braiders is that sometimes they don't listen. I specifically ask that they braid the hair all the way down to my real hair. I can't have hair out because it is natural. Well in an effort to hurry me up and get another warm body in the chair I sometimes end up with hair left out and that gets me hot!!
Then they'll have a billion people in my head. One will do the braids right and the other will F***k it up.

Anyway...
let me call this ***** and make my next appointment....LOL

FeelinIt said:
I used to get mad about the price hike because I thought it was bogus. And to some extent I think it is but when you do longer hair, it takes more time. And time is money. Meaning they could have had another $300.00 dollar customer in their chair dealing with long hair.

My pet peeve with braiders is that sometimes they don't listen. I specifically ask that they braid the hair all the way down to my real hair. I can't have hair out because it is natural. Well in an effort to hurry me up and get another warm body in the chair I sometimes end up with hair left out and that gets me hot!!
Then they'll have a billion people in my head. One will do the braids right and the other will F***k it up.

Anyway...

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

caramelty

I am glad all you long head ladies feel my pain but I am not complaining anymore b/c it is cute and making me put on cute clothes every morning..it is true when your hair is too cute it makes you want to get super cute. Oh and those heffas kept insisting on cutting the hair that was sticking up out the braids I kept telling her no I think she asked me 4 times I said no that is my hair I will mouse it when I get home

IrisDaVirus

FeelinIt said:

Anyway...
What the heck!?! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: