All My Progress...Up in Flames (a long vent)

Choklatekiss79

I'm sorry to hear that.:mad: It' not just hair, so dont' feel bad or silly for being upset about what happened. It will grow back before you know it.:)

delecie

I'm so sorry about your hair. If this stylist is licensed, you can report her to your state's licensing board.

caribeandiva

Human being
*hug* this sucks that this happened to you. i'd just let the shorter pieces catch up with the longer ones. hold off on the relaxer if you can until your hair is in better shape. i've never worn twists so it took me a while to realize what you mean by they use a lighter to clean them up. i just got it. another reason why i don't get trim, braids, or weaves.

Blackoutzangel05

:eek: I am so sorry for you. I never thought about the burning that they do, but I usually get really long braids. However, I feel for you. Don't worry, you have such a great hair regmine that I am sure that it will grow back healthier and fuller.

I am planning on getting braids after my wedding, at least I was until I read this, and I will be sure to let them know that I will not be burned.....

So sorry that you had to go through this.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I never understood why anyone would put a flame anywhere near someone's head.:confused: But it will grow back before you know it.

janeemat

What a sad story. As the ladies said, just baby it and learn from your mistake. I've heard so many horry stories about braids and how they damage the hair, especially the hair line. I've been afraid of them since I've been an adult because my edges have always been thin from childhood. I guess my mother pulled my hair too tight. I've always felt that's too much manipulation on relaxed hair so I've just stayed away from them. But you just be encouraged and do know that it will grow back. I'm praying for you.

LaNecia

Wow HP, I'm really sorry to read your post! Some of the other posts got me fired up mad at what hair stylists try to pull.

Wishing your hair a speedy recovery ***hair hug***

leleepop

I am sorry this happened to you. I would only use the kenekelon(sp) hair and let them use water and gel.

gymfreak336

Hair Peace said:
:cry:

So I started taking down my twists Tuesday night to get ready for the reveal for the HYH til April Fools Challenge. The first set of twists I took out came out pretty easily…not much build up or matting. I took my time detangling and combing out my hair from shedding. I really don’t know how much to expect from shedding because I’m post partum, so it all just kind of blends in.

I started taking more twists down last night and I noticed I had clumps of hair coming out before I was done taking the twist out. I went and looked in the mirror and was horrified! One piece of my hair from the twist was about 3 inches shorter than the other. I took down a few more and my hair is like that in other places too. I had pieces of hair that are anywhere between 3-5 inches shorter than the piece next to it. I couldn’t understand it at first, but then it dawned on me… my hair was burned off! They used a lighter to “clean up” the twists, but I didn’t realize they had gone that far up the length of the twist. I just broke out in tears. Everything that I’ve done to help my hair grow…up in flames…literally.

I talked to several of my friends who’ve had their hair twisted about getting mine done before I got them, but nobody told me not to let them clean it up with the lighter. I remember a post on this board saying not to do it, and I asked why, but after a couple of days of checking to see if someone responded I never checked back again. I just did a search last night and saw that someone did (thank you rootdeep), but it was too late for me because the damage was already done.

I don’t know what to do next (after I stop crying). I had just reached APL before getting them done. I’m lucky if I’m collar bone length now. I go for my touch up on the 5th. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hide the shorter pieces and trim until they catch up, or just cut it even and start over. I know that it’s “just hair” and that it will grow back…but I just need to grieve right now.

I am soo sorry. I totally understand where you are coming from. I just has a major setback too. Go ahead and cry it out *passes tissue* It will get better.

sprungonhairboards

Wow I had no idea stylists still did this. I remember them running the lighter up and down the braid very well. I've done it myself. I never had any damage but it seems really archaic now. I haven't seen anyone do this in years.

toyztoy

ladylibra said:
oh sweetie!!!! i'm so sorry to hear that you had to learn this lesson the hard way... where's a good hugging smiley when you need one?

maybe you can get some layers cut into your hair instead of cutting it all short... i can't tell what your hair looks like online obviously. but at least then you won't have to cut all your length, and it will look nice as it grows out?

i wish you the best of luck hon... i want to cry for you... :(

I agree with her. Good suggestion:)

MizAvalon

Blossssom said:
I couldn't agree more, Deon...

When I wore braids, I had interlocks. No stress and no problems.

All this burning and what not. Oh lawd, hell NO!

I wore interlocks for several years as well and they were the BEST. Remember the long ones that Brandy wore? Those were the ones I had!:)

WomanlyCharm

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened to you. :(
That's a nightmare, but remember, your hair will grow back, and be stronger and longer than ever.

HoneyDew

I have had them try to do that to me and even when I say NO, they think I am crazy for refusing - saying that my braids will look bad. :confused:

I am so sorry this happened to you, but it will get better. I know that is easy to say, but you know we have your back as you move on.

Do you think you are going to just give up on the twists or try again? If you do where the twists again they may be able to help you get over this hump, but next time say NO FIRE!! AT ALL!!

Blossssom

MizAvalon said:
I wore interlocks for several years as well and they were the BEST. Remember the long ones that Brandy wore? Those were the ones I had!:)

Yea, they were extremely convenient. I had mine long and would put them in different styles.

nelli711

Dang girl, I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be awful to have all of your progress go down the drain. I know you probably don't want to hear this but remember that your hair will grow back. Please girl, don't go back to that person.

tricie

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you; I always though they just burned the ends, which is what the lady did when she did my cornrows. I have never even heard of them putting fire where you real hair is :mad: ; that is just insane! :nono:

((((((Hair hugs to you)))))))), and remember that it will grow back soon!

Also, some other ladies mentioned interlocks;what are interlocks?

hopeful

Blossssom said:
I couldn't agree more, Deon...

When I wore braids, I had interlocks. No stress and no problems.

All this burning and what not. Oh lawd, hell NO!

What are interlocks?

CAPlush

tricie said:
I am so sorry to hear that happened to you; I always though they just burned the ends, which is what the lady did when she did my cornrows. I have never even heard of them putting fire where you real hair is :mad: ; that is just insane! :nono:

((((((Hair hugs to you)))))))), and remember that it will grow back soon!

Also, some other ladies mentioned interlocks;what are interlocks?

It is a style where you cornrow the hair, and hook pre-braided synthetic pieces onto the cornrow. If you put enough of them in, they cover the parts and the cornrows, leaving you with a head full of tiny braids. They are really easy on the hair, took only about 2-3 hours to do, but you don't see them much anymore. They went out of style around 2000.

hopeful

This happened to my daughter once. I was so angry because I was not even thinking about getting my daughter's hair braided but my stylist at the time practically begged me to let her braid my daughter's hair. On the day she did she was acting rushed and made the braids almost exactly the same length as her hair, lazy ***** did not want to waste one extra minute. Of course I realized all this in hindsight. I'm really sorry this happened to you....(((((hugs)))).

hopeful

CAPlush said:
It is a style where you cornrow the hair, and hook pre-braided synthetic pieces onto the cornrow. If you put enough of them in, they cover the parts and the cornrows, leaving you with a head full of tiny braids. They are really easy on the hair, took only about 2-3 hours to do, but you don't see them much anymore. They went out of style around 2000.

Thanks for responding to the interlock question. Man I missed this whole trend, sounds like a style I would have loved.

Sistaslick

MizAvalon said:

MizAvalon, Are these the same as "crochet braids" ?

ladylibra said:
oh sweetie!!!! i'm so sorry to hear that you had to learn this lesson the hard way... where's a good hugging smiley when you need one?

maybe you can get some layers cut into your hair instead of cutting it all short... i can't tell what your hair looks like online obviously. but at least then you won't have to cut all your length, and it will look nice as it grows out?

i wish you the best of luck hon... i want to cry for you... :(

My sentiments exactly :( .

Hair Peace

Wow! Thanks everybody for your support, empathy, words of encouragement, and cyber hugs! All of you truly made me feel better about the whole situation. :rosebud:

I’m pretty sure I’m not going to sue, but I am going to let them know what happened and hopefully they will at least be more conscious of what they’re doing if they don’t stop it altogether. This was definitely a lesson learned. Unfortunately for me (and my hair) I had to learn it the hard way. :wallbash:

I’ll have a better idea of what to do with it once I’ve taken it completely down and know exactly what I’m working with. I wasn’t planning on flatiron-ing it after I shampoo and DC this weekend, but I may have to. If it’s too choppy to deal with, I’ll probably get it cut and just keep moving from there. But if it’s something that can be camouflaged…then hey…I’ll work with what I got!

I think this may be it for me and braids for a while, but I’ll definitely know better next time; if there is a next time. The only reason I got them was so that I wouldn’t have worry about hair and a new baby. I’ll just stick to my old stand by protective styles for now…rollersets, phony ponies, and up-dos.

Sly

Hair Peace said:
:cry:

So I started taking down my twists Tuesday night to get ready for the reveal for the HYH til April Fools Challenge. The first set of twists I took out came out pretty easily…not much build up or matting. I took my time detangling and combing out my hair from shedding. I really don’t know how much to expect from shedding because I’m post partum, so it all just kind of blends in.

I started taking more twists down last night and I noticed I had clumps of hair coming out before I was done taking the twist out. I went and looked in the mirror and was horrified! One piece of my hair from the twist was about 3 inches shorter than the other. I took down a few more and my hair is like that in other places too. I had pieces of hair that are anywhere between 3-5 inches shorter than the piece next to it. I couldn’t understand it at first, but then it dawned on me… my hair was burned off! They used a lighter to “clean up” the twists, but I didn’t realize they had gone that far up the length of the twist. I just broke out in tears. Everything that I’ve done to help my hair grow…up in flames…literally.

I talked to several of my friends who’ve had their hair twisted about getting mine done before I got them, but nobody told me not to let them clean it up with the lighter. I remember a post on this board saying not to do it, and I asked why, but after a couple of days of checking to see if someone responded I never checked back again. I just did a search last night and saw that someone did (thank you rootdeep), but it was too late for me because the damage was already done.

I don’t know what to do next (after I stop crying). I had just reached APL before getting them done. I’m lucky if I’m collar bone length now. I go for my touch up on the 5th. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hide the shorter pieces and trim until they catch up, or just cut it even and start over. I know that it’s “just hair” and that it will grow back…but I just need to grieve right now.

Please stay encouraged ***hugs***

Lady Esquire

I know this is late but I feel compelled to tell you that I am sorry to hear that this happened.

Thank God that our hair is always growing. So with that said, I am confident that your hair will grow healthy and strong after this ordeal. And soon enough, this will all be behind you.

Sending Good Thoughts:)